Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Latest Media Speculation - Doug Jones to play an Elvish King in the Hobbit ...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elven
Valinor

Jun 30 2008, 4:28pm

Post #1 of 34 (2566 views)
Shortcut
Latest Media Speculation - Doug Jones to play an Elvish King in the Hobbit ... Can't Post

From the MTV news Blog
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/...role-for-the-hobbit/

And we wouldn’t dare go against any of these desires. Except, well, there’s one tiny thing more Doug Jones also wants you to know:
“There’s been lots of speculation. I wouldn’t want to ruin anything. Guillermo creates things with me in mind and he’s got a better image of what I can do than I do,” the man otherwise known as the Silver Surfer and Abe Sapien told MTV News, a wicked and knowing smile across his face. “However, there might be an elf king, father of Legolas kind of character that I would love.”

So 'What Say You' - what do you think?

Cheers Elven x

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Voorhas
Lorien

Jun 30 2008, 4:35pm

Post #2 of 34 (1370 views)
Shortcut
I Say... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that it'd be great. Put that man to work!

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." -- E.A. Poe

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2008, 5:01pm

Post #3 of 34 (1236 views)
Shortcut
I say yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's tall and lean, adequate for en Elf, but has that edge in his gaze that would make him a perfect not so kind Thranduil. And he does look old enough to be Orlando's father. (He's 17 years older) And much to my liking, he's exactly the same age as Hugo Weaving, which seems pretty nice... for obvious Elven reasons.Laugh

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

(This post was edited by Compa_Mighty on Jun 30 2008, 5:02pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 30 2008, 5:10pm

Post #4 of 34 (1183 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've said before, they'd be crazy not to cast such a tall, graceful man as an elf! Thranduil is a perfect role for him, imo.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
July Screencap of the Day Schedule

Elven
Valinor

Jun 30 2008, 5:17pm

Post #5 of 34 (1291 views)
Shortcut
and I'd say ... [In reply to] Can't Post

with the right prosthetics, they could make him up look exactly like King Thranduil Wink

Sorry Laugh

Cheers Elven

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 30 2008, 6:41pm

Post #6 of 34 (1273 views)
Shortcut
If you like your Elven kings Ezpeleta-ish, of course. *power puke* // [In reply to] Can't Post

mwirkk
Rohan

Jun 30 2008, 8:43pm

Post #7 of 34 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Taking a page from his mentor? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is DJ repeating the same faux pas as GdT once had by spilling the beans too early if already discussed, or inciting speculation if not? I hope not.

Personally, I would be okay with DJ as the Silvan king, eventhough I'm still sticking with Bowie as my #1 choice. I suppose the audience won't care that much whether or not there is a familial resemblance between whomever gets the part and OB - they'll accept it so long as the product is good.

I wonder which and how many roles Guillermo is thinking about for Doug? We could have Thranduil by Doug Jones, Beorn by Doug Jones, Gwaihir by Doug Jones, Smaug by Doug Jones, Goblin King by Doug Jones, Spiders (all) by Doug Jones, in a film by Doug Jo--- (oops! sorry). ;P

Speaking of elves and what is or is not "right" for portraying them, does anyone think they'll bother to make any distinctions about the differences between the elvish clans in Middle-earth?

The Black Knight Always Triumphs!!

-mwirkk :)

StillCrazy
Bree

Jun 30 2008, 8:50pm

Post #8 of 34 (1161 views)
Shortcut
I like Doug Jones [In reply to] Can't Post

But they would need a lot to cover up the 'ginger' to make him look like an elf. None-the-less it could be done.

My first choice would be Daniel Day Lewis, but his track record for turning down LoTR parts is pretty well documented.
My second choice would be Ralph Fiennes or his brother Joseph

All the worlds a stage.

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Jun 30 2008, 9:04pm

Post #9 of 34 (1153 views)
Shortcut
I like Doug Jones for Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope he plays him and a few other roles in TH and F2.

Since PJ made such a distinction among Moria Orcs, Mordor Orcs and Uruk-hai, I don't expect that they'll forget that Sylvan, Sindar and Noldor Elves are quite different from one another.

I do hope that Ngila Dickson returns as costume designer. I'd love to see her take on Thranduil!

Eruwestial

leo
Rohan

Jun 30 2008, 10:04pm

Post #10 of 34 (1220 views)
Shortcut
I've said it before, and I'll suggest it again... [In reply to] Can't Post

... he should play all the Mirkwood Elves! ;-) Kinda like Hugo Weaving was hundreds of Mr. Smiths...

Okay I am getting a tadbit carried away now...

It's nice of Doug to let us know which part he would want to play though! But I don't think Thranduil will need that much makeup. Unless of course GDT intends to make them blue as well, like Rankin and Bass...

ArathornJax
Lorien

Jul 1 2008, 2:07am

Post #11 of 34 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Bring it on! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks likes Orlando's I mean Legolas' dad.

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Come over to the LOTR Movie Thread and discuss the 1981 BBC Adaptation of the LOTR.

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jul 1 2008, 2:20am

Post #12 of 34 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Wood elf v. High elf [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this actor could play a great elf, and that leads into a subject another post brought up....will we see, in character or societal development, the difference between wood elves and high elves....being sindar and noldar (if I have that correct in spelling and telling, it's late). Although Legolas was 'from the woodland realm' in LOTR, it was not elaborated on due to the focus of the story....but now.....this difference is something I have not thought of yet in my excitement about The Hobbit, but there are differences between the houses of elf lords....hmmmmm...this will get interesting....another chance for cinematic greatness!

Elven
Valinor

Jul 1 2008, 3:57am

Post #13 of 34 (1181 views)
Shortcut
LOL!! .. [In reply to] Can't Post

Twas a bit of mischief Wink to stir the leaves of Mirkwood. *wipes off puke from ceiling* - and as for using Ezpeleta in the title ...*hands EoPW cleaning cloth* Wink

I actually think Doug Jones would make a perfect King Thranduil - he almost seems kin to Elrond.

If this speculation be anywhere near true - I'd be a happy Elve myself Smile

Cheers Elven

Jettorex
Lorien

Jul 1 2008, 12:52pm

Post #14 of 34 (1051 views)
Shortcut
As I said in a previous post ... [In reply to] Can't Post

...before he dropped his obvious "hint" :

"He will be Thranduil probably and also maybe Beorn, Goblin king or Troll."

And I think he is absolutely perfect for the part.

Love, Truth, Honor, Adventure

sauronthewhite

Jul 1 2008, 1:47pm

Post #15 of 34 (1086 views)
Shortcut
Jones as Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

When I think of Jones, all of his wonderul acting jobs as various creatures comes to mind. Thranduil is not that type of role. It will require the skills of a trained thespian who is more along the lines of an Ian McKellan rather than somebody who will endure hours of make-up. Does Doug Jones have that kind of acting ability?

(This post was edited by sauronthewhite on Jul 1 2008, 1:49pm)

deej
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2008, 2:06pm

Post #16 of 34 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Well, he does look Elvish [In reply to] Can't Post

And it would be nice (read: less distracting) to see a not-so-famous face in the role. I say sure!

"...and back again."

Marionette
Rohan

Jul 1 2008, 2:56pm

Post #17 of 34 (1006 views)
Shortcut
Doug? XD [In reply to] Can't Post

No, sorry. I don´t like the idea. I mean, he can be OK, but there are better choices, for sure.
For me he´s not a better choice than Jason Isaacs or David Bowie for Thranduil...
UnsureUnsureUnimpressedPiratePirate
Well...

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes.
So sad it ends, as it began"

(This post was edited by Marionette on Jul 1 2008, 2:58pm)

luvgabe
The Shire

Jul 1 2008, 3:02pm

Post #18 of 34 (1003 views)
Shortcut
Looks the part [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Doug Jones fits the physical description of elves. Not being a fan of del Toro, even though I've seen Hellboy & Pan's Labyrinth, I just don't know that much about Jones, especially his acting skills.

Regardless, I too prefer a relative unknown to be cast, despite Ralph Fiennes being the right physical & acting fit. He will remind me too much of Voldemort. Tolkien's Middle-earth & Rowling's wizard world should remain apart & distinct.

StillCrazy
Bree

Jul 1 2008, 3:05pm

Post #19 of 34 (1012 views)
Shortcut
David Bowie [In reply to] Can't Post

Is and always will be the Goblin King, he should be cast in that part. Wink I'd think it would be funny Crazy

Is Doug playing the part of Lego's dad set in stone? Or just wishful want on his part? I know GDT likes the actor, but have the scripts even been written yet?

I just ask this because I would hate to keep jumping the gun for the next few years on everything. Even so, it sure is funAngelic

All the worlds a stage.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jul 1 2008, 3:51pm

Post #20 of 34 (983 views)
Shortcut
So far everything is only speculation [In reply to] Can't Post

They will not start casting in earnest before they have a script and know exactly what they want to do - and the script doesn't exist now, either, because PJ amd GDT have to first finish their other projects. They said they might have news for us as a Christmas gift - so you will have to wait and simply have fun with all these rumours.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 1 2008, 3:51pm

Post #21 of 34 (991 views)
Shortcut
Oh, he looks more goblin than elven, alright! [In reply to] Can't Post

If he plays the Great Goblin I'll be fine, but if I smell him anywhere near the role of the Elvenking.....*polishes Dernhelm gear* ;)

deej
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2008, 5:12pm

Post #22 of 34 (1007 views)
Shortcut
My dream choice would be Jason Issacs (Lucius Malfoy) [In reply to] Can't Post

Except that...well, he was Lucius Malfoy and would look too similiar! Otherwise, perfect.

"...and back again."

StillCrazy
Bree

Jul 1 2008, 7:38pm

Post #23 of 34 (994 views)
Shortcut
I thought the same thing [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Except that...well, he was Lucius Malfoy and would look too similiar! Otherwise, perfect.

When I first saw Lucius Malfoy my first thought was, well there is Legolas' father.

I personally would love to see Daniel Day Lewis do the part. And yeah well he can act. But again that's just a pipe dream. I think he would have made an excellent Aragorn, nothing against Viggo who did a great job too. That said, Doug will do a good job as well as Thranduil, I liked him as the Silver Surfer, which was about the only think I liked about that movie.

All the worlds a stage.

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Jul 1 2008, 8:10pm

Post #24 of 34 (965 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Yes! Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is who I wanted all along! The moment I laid eyes on him, I knew that he was exactly how I pictured King Thranduil.

And when I found out that he has a background in dance, and horror as well, I thought, "All the better!" Because there is a slightly horrific edge to the Mirkwood Elves. They are "wild", they have grown accustomed to living in Mirkwood of all places, and there ought to be something just a wee bit frightening and unpredictable about them.

But even more, Doug Jones fits with several dreams that I have had, about King Thranduil dancing in the dark, up the trunk of a tree and out onto a bough and down again, very beautiful in an almost frightening way. The first time was a dream-party; friends I never met face-to-face wanted some way to celebrate my birthday with me, so we agreed to attempt to meet in dreams; since my birthday is just two days away from Hallowe'en, we decided to envision the meeting in Mirkwood. That was interesting enough, to actually succeed in dreaming there, though within expectations.

But then the second time, I was no longer in touch with those friends. I went to bed on my birthday with no particular dream-incubation in mind, and began to dream something rather ordinary, when suddenly I found King Thranduil's face way too close in front of me! Grinning in a menacing way, he said, "You forgot! You have an appointment in Mirkwood tonight!" And suddenly there I was, with the dancing going on around me, up and over and down, and a feast before me (I can still taste the black walnuts) and much more wine than I would drink in waking life.

As for David Bowie, twenty, maybe even ten years ago he could have pulled it off. Not now, though. He looks too mortal. Ah well--he made a fabulous Goblin King in "Labyrinth"--it seemed as though he had spent his entire life training for that role. That's good enough for one lifetime.

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

(This post was edited by Dreamdeer on Jul 1 2008, 8:15pm)

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Jul 1 2008, 8:19pm

Post #25 of 34 (998 views)
Shortcut
Bard [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the Fiennes brothers might make an excellent Bard, if they beefed up the part to accommodate such a talent. But it might be better to give it to some worthy unknown as a breakthrough role. Remember how many breakthroughs the LotR movies sparked off, after all.

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.