Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Weta Digital is helping children to walk...

diedye
Grey Havens

Jun 28 2008, 1:45am

Post #1 of 9 (469 views)
Shortcut
Weta Digital is helping children to walk... Can't Post

From The New Zealand Herald:

Wellywood technology helps children to walk

Animation techniques, like those that brought Gollum, are being used to treat disabilities.

Animation technology used in blockbuster movies such as Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings is now helping children to walk.

The Gait Laboratory at the Royal Children's Hospital in Brisbane uses animation technology developed at Weta Digital in Wellington to see why some children, as young as 3, have trouble walking.

Keegan McCluskey, 12, is falling over less and has ditched his wheelchair for a walking stick since doctors were able to identify more accurately what surgery he needed to correct his walk

[,,,]

Gait Laboratory director Dr Robyn Grote said the technology was reducing the number of times children had to undergo surgery because of its precision in mapping a child's motion.

"A number of reflective markers are placed on a child's legs, while eight specially designed cameras placed around the room record how these markers move," Dr Grote said. "Several cameras track each marker to allow a computer to create a three-dimensional view of the child's motion.

"This enables the team to analyse a child walking from the side, front, back and above _ all at once."

[..]The laboratory is one of just a few paediatric clinical gait analysis labs in Australia. It is also involved in developing a pilot that will examine the way children move their arms and fingers.

[..]

Nice to see that WETA is contributing to society in such a meaningful way.

R.I.P.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 28 2008, 1:49am

Post #2 of 9 (195 views)
Shortcut
That's a lovely news item. [In reply to] Can't Post

I read it this morning, fully intended to post a link, then forgot all about it. Thanks for posting it, diedye!

My writing (including The Passing of Mistress Rose)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Jun 28 2008, 1:50am)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jun 28 2008, 4:48am

Post #3 of 9 (156 views)
Shortcut
Oh wow [In reply to] Can't Post

That is great! Would never have thought of that myself, but now that I know about it, it makes sense. It must be possible to analyze the gait of these children much better in this way; you can repeat it as often as you want to see something withouth them having to do it themselves. And when it helps to avoid some of the surgery they have to undergo, and even bring children like Keegan out of their wheelchairs, that is wonderful!

I am sure Andy Serkis will be very pleased that his innovative performance did not only bring Gollum to life in such a believable way, but is now the catalyst for such a medical progress. As will the Weta team.

Thanks for posting this, diedye!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

DavidDragonSlayer
The Shire

Jun 28 2008, 5:33am

Post #4 of 9 (178 views)
Shortcut
Way to go Weta! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all,

As some one who is physically disabled (born with Spina Bifida), I thought this was really cool, then started kicking myself wondering if anybody closer to home had thought of doing something like this. Very cool stuff, and Weta rocks.... Later,

-David "Dragon Slayer" Chipman

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 28 2008, 10:08am

Post #5 of 9 (143 views)
Shortcut
What an excellent way to use this technology [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a gait clinic in Auckland but I don't know if they are using the Weta technology too.
Imagine if the Aussies got it first!
*ducks to avoid pies thrown by Elven and Kelvarhin from across the ditch*

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 28 2008, 10:11am

Post #6 of 9 (140 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, DavidDragonSlayer. Watch out Smaug! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you enjoy it here at TORn.
It would be interesting to hear if this Weta technology is going to be used at any other clinics.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 28 2008, 12:05pm

Post #7 of 9 (140 views)
Shortcut
They have the motion capture [In reply to] Can't Post

therapy going on at the university where I work. They not only use it for walking, but for speech therapy as well. Nothing but praise for their programs!

Just like Star Trek was the catalyst for so much we take for granted today, so has Weta and LotR done as well :)

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

hatster
Rohan

Jun 28 2008, 4:59pm

Post #8 of 9 (151 views)
Shortcut
welcom to TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you stay around and post!

The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 29 2008, 3:59am

Post #9 of 9 (114 views)
Shortcut
Welcome David!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It *is* awesome, isn't it? Thanks for lending us your perspective. Smile

Do take a look around and join in. There's lots to be discussed here and we'd love to have you join us.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.