QTNA - Summer Edition R-E-S-P-E-C-T what it means to GDT
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jun 25 2008, 10:23pm

Post #1 of 26 (919 views)
Shortcut
QTNA - Summer Edition R-E-S-P-E-C-T what it means to GDT Can't Post

WELCOME to QTNA: Questions That Need Answering - Summer Edition.

Respecting, collecting, and detecting. Crazy

Respecting
Please let us direct you to this post from the weekend.
Guillermo Del Toro said: "Everybody's comments are exceedingly interesting and quite valid. Look- I've been doing films for over 25 years and directing features for over 15. I'm very comfortable with other people's opinions and skepticism. Some people like what I do, others dislike it. I'm fine with both points of view. I believe that respect cannot be demanded ever-

It must be earned.

You may disagree with PJ's choices or my choices down the road but I think that respect must be given to the volume and dedication of the filmmaking effort.

It is my hope to earn your respect
even if I eventually earn your disagreement. Feel free to continue voicing your doubts and fears, they will keep our toes flexed-

Until soon

Guillermo"

GDT says he has to earn our respect. We think the question at this point is:

1. Has Peter Jackson earned our respect?

2. If so, why do you respect Mr. Jackson?

Timely questions considering the following quoted from the Home page today. Trust and respect seem to go hand-in-hand, don't you think?
"Peter Jackson is 14th Most Trusted…

June 24th, 2008 by Diedye | Source: Otago Daily Times

Peter Jackson2From the Otago Daily Times: Reader’s Digest commissioned an independent research firm to survey a representative sample of 500 New Zealand adults. The Most Trusted survey asked respondents about three categories: individuals, professions and brands.
“Cuddly filmmaker Peter Jackson is right up there at 14, while Queen Elizabeth ties with Richie McCaw at 20th equal just ahead of food-in-a- minute merchant Allyson Gofton and Hayley Westenra.”

Most Trusted? Well, if a man is willing to bare his soul… or the soles of his feet, he’s pretty much an open book."

Collecting:

What is your very favorite LOTR collectible, souvenir, or keepsake?

Assuredly, of all the things that I have collected, and I have a gazillion, or that Ordinary Hobbit and I have collect together, the most special to us both is the Daniel Reeves' map created as a gift to Altaira for building these new boards, with a limited number of signed editions offered to members, also. It is too special for words.

Detecting:

What is special about this picture from last week's QTNA?

A Crazy Idea
Tongue(let us know what you think of it)
Try to caption this picture and as a nod to Aretha (see title of post) let's use only a song title or familiar lyric.

Great picture. There's a lot of song titles (too many) with 'she' in them and this is certainly a picture of the ultimate SHE but we opted for this list of Aretha's greatest hits. Almost everyone fits but especially 1, 2, 7, 11, 12, and 14. Shocked
Aretha's Best
1. Respect
2. Think
3. Freeway of Love
4. Baby, I Love You
5. A Natural Woman (You Make Me Feel Like)
6. Day Dreaming
7. I Say A Little Prayer
8. The House That Jack Built
9. (Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone
10. Spanish Harlem
11. Jump To It
12. I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)
13. Chain Of Fools
14. Rock Steady
15. Who's Zoomin' Who
16. Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)
17. I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)
18. Call Me
19. Do Right Woman - Do Right Man
20. Bridge Over Troubled Waters

Rack my brain as I might, this is the best I could come up with:
"The Itsy Bitsy Spider" LOL
Sly

For QTNA next week be thinking about favorite summer activities
and T-shirts. Evil

Have a great week and weekend.

Love to all geeks!

Hob and Ordinary Hobbit

No special reason for this picture except that it is a great one, we don't see enough of our LOTR ladies, and this one seemed to fit this week.
Wink

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob
(former nick: "HobbitLoveR*M-e" among several others)

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 25 2008, 11:26pm

Post #2 of 26 (782 views)
Shortcut
"Hobby, Hobey", this is a fun post...! [In reply to] Can't Post

Delightful post -- thank you!

Here are some answers from me and Neil Diamond...

1. Has Peter Jackson earned our respect? -- I'd say yes. Even those who don't like his interpretation of Tolkien give him credit for the effort he put into it and for the "look" of Middle Earth. The highest tribute, perhaps, is when purists who don't like the films use screencaps from the films in their posts...

2. Why do you respect Peter Jackson? -- I have come to respect him for his leadership. He is the quintessential "creative industry" leader of our time. Books should be written about his leadership style, as without his interest, vision, work ethic, sense of humor, talents, respect for everyone on the team, and brain power we would have had these films.

3. Collecting -- Like you my most treasured treasure is my Map, which was only possible because a kind TORn sib loaned me money for a year to get it. A close second is a collectible I gave away -- my hard cover set of the books from the 60's or 70's, which were given to me as an unexpected gift (not my birthday or anything!), which I read myself, read to two of my kids, gave to my middle son, and he had autographed by Viggo.

4. What's special about the picture? -- I don't know, but my air conditioning broke today and so that picture is the coolest thing around here right now..

5. Song title/caption --

How about "I'm a Big Weaver" ??

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 26 2008, 2:52am

Post #3 of 26 (807 views)
Shortcut
She's so heavy [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I never speak for others. Has he earned mine? Yes.

I did not agree with every choice he made, in terms of the movie, but I think he respected the material. Very highly.

I think he wasn't afraid of excellence. Of going full tilt. Of expecting and demanding the best that every soul could give. Many people are afraid of this.

I think he treated the fans with respect. You would think everyone would. But I haven't found that to be the case. We weren't weirdos. We weren't impossible to please irritants. We were people who loved the material as much as he did and he respected that.

Guillermo has my respect, too. Already.

Oh wow. Really? I have to pick? When I'm in danger of overthinking I stop altogether so how about one that gave me great joy for awhile? My Legolas (and Gimli) standup. That thing worked. I would walk in the room and my heart would pitter patter. I didn't buy it (she proclaims all serious like). My son actually won it in a drawing. I entered his name, though.

Well, if it's what I think it is... it shows how the actors came together in true fellowship and made fast friends.

Try to caption this picture and as a nod to Aretha (see title of post) let's use only a song title or familiar lyric.

I want you
I want you so bad
I want you,
I want you so bad
It’s driving me mad, it’s driving me ...
She’s so heavy heavy, heavy, heavy.
(The Beatles)

For QTNA next week be thinking about favorite summer activities and T-shirts.

Hey! I've been there. :-) (We're going to be at Minnehaha Falls tomorrow night watching the oldest son dance the Morris)
No special reason for this picture except that it is a great one, we don't see enough of our LOTR ladies, and this one seemed to fit this week.

I'll see your Elle and raise you a GQ

Notice how they both have sex on the cover? Maybe they all do. I never look at these sorts of magazines normally. I almost wanted to put that GQ under my coat as I took it up to the cashier I was so embarrassed. Thank heavens I was all the way across town where no one could possibly know me!
:P

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jun 26 2008, 2:57am)

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 26 2008, 4:10am

Post #4 of 26 (785 views)
Shortcut
she ain't my mother... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The Hollies did it, but Neil Diamond did it first!

Weaver

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jun 26 2008, 8:49am

Post #5 of 26 (775 views)
Shortcut
Gad, you say things just like I'd like to. [In reply to] Can't Post

Love what you said about PJ. I couldn't seem to put it into words. Well, not easily anyway.
I know that I love him - he's a kind and generous man IMhO. But, I also know that I truly respect his drive and his integrity and his bravery.
Respect? Yup! In spades!
And he earned every bit of it.

Minnehaha Falls? Cripers we should go - I dunno if the child works - have to check, maybe - would be cool. Our Pops Orchestra season starts this weekend, and we so so so happy!
I may be PMing you this week or next if I get my act together.
Did you get a chance to check out that Magpie thread? Where was that? Mmmm...Let me look for it and I'll link it.
Here it is - kind of fun and you were mentioned.
Later then?
Much love, and thanks for posting such great stuff.
hob

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jun 26 2008, 8:58am

Post #6 of 26 (769 views)
Shortcut
When the Hobbit thing is done, [In reply to] Can't Post

and we look back on it, as we are doing now with LOTR, I want to be able to say I respect GDT as much as I respect PJ.
Peter Jackson is a truly great individual. I believe that more and more all the time. There aren't so many like him out there; especially not in the world of movie-making.
Let's hope we fans get fantastically lucky twice.
Thanks for posting Weaver, and hope you get your air back on.
Here's something to really cool you down.

Cheers,
hob

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jun 26 2008, 9:03am

Post #7 of 26 (771 views)
Shortcut
Didcha like my little birdies then hob?// [In reply to] Can't Post

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay
Kelvarhin's Universe
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play (with thanks to grammaboodawg :) )
Is TORn...Is Good

Elven
Valinor

Jun 26 2008, 12:14pm

Post #8 of 26 (769 views)
Shortcut
Great QTNA!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another fantastic QTNA!! - Love these threads Heart Thanks HobitLove ((hugs)) Smile

onto the questions ...
I couldn't answer #1 ... without it dragging on for hours ...
but basically, the answer is yes.

I trust Peter because he trusts others. His instinct and intuitiveness is genuine - and for that to be acted upon, I think he trusts himself - and has a great confidence in the things he does which he shares with others. He listens.

My Tolkien Cap which was given to me by some very dear friends - it has my name on it. I wear it all the time. I got a job from wearing that cap!

Who is in that photo? Is that Billy Boyd?
Maybe the photo debunks the rumour that Scotts can't surf? Wink

and as for Magazine covers ... I thought this was cute ...

Caption?:
She's Got Legs - ZZ Top

Errr for the Shelob photo - not the Liv's one - but it works Wink

Cheers Elven

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

(This post was edited by Elven on Jun 26 2008, 12:17pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 26 2008, 4:21pm

Post #9 of 26 (747 views)
Shortcut
I want to hold your hands [In reply to] Can't Post

To destroy another Beatles song.

1. Has Peter Jackson earned our respect? 2. If so, why do you respect Mr. Jackson?

Yes. PJ was always honest with the fans. He respected us enough to rewrite his movie in the middle of filming to take XenArwen out! And he went to the Oscar party instead of schmoozing with other filmmakers. He wasn't afraid of us and he eventually realized that working with fans was better than keeping us at bay.

I guess the short version is that I respect PJ because he respects us. That's all it takes to win me over. As Magpie said, GDT has my respect already, too.

Probably my Trilogy Tuesday film frame. For those who haven't seen them, it's a frame with an actual film cell from each of the three movies in it. Probably my second favorite are just all of the pictures I've taken of fans and costumes over the years.

Ummm.... It's awesome?

Thanks hobbitlove. I lurk on these discussions more than I post, but they're always excellent!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
July Screencap of the Day Schedule

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26 2008, 4:42pm

Post #10 of 26 (756 views)
Shortcut
Sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me? *applause* [In reply to] Can't Post

First off, hob.... YOU ROCK!

...He's earned mine, completely. I know there have been a lot of comments about his abusing creative license in adapting LotR; but as someone who cherishes the book, I will never fail to appreciate the ultimate beauty he created in these films. The visual beauty, the emotional beauty, and the musical beauty.

2. Why do you respect Peter Jackson?
... Every aspect of his telling of Tolkien's story still staggers me, and I'll be forever grateful. I also appreciate the people he brought into his world in his choice of players. Each and every one of them is an enchanting soul in their own right, and... as stewards of the characters they portray... magical. The friendships that came from their collaboration is something that still warms my heart. Also, for bringing TORn into my life and all of you. His enthusiasm and respect for us as fans makes me so proud. He's never lost sight of us. That, coupled with his intense honour for every aspect of making LotR and never losing sight of his vision makes me trust and RESPECT his decisions. Trust Peter. He's a good steward and leader.

3. Collecting
...Oh! Don't make me chose just one! The Daniel Reeve's/Altaira's map fersher... but there are so many things I've collected that I treasure. My original set of The Lord of the Rings autographed by Elijah, Billy and Sean; my movie ticket stubs (still kept in the baggie), my Signlanguage book autographed by sibbies, players, etc.; my scrapbook filled with mementoes from conventions, moots, gifts...
...But if you're talking about collectibles, it's my Sideshow figures and busts. I have them displayed where I just stand and look at them all the time.

4. What's special about the picture?
... When I first saw this picture, I saw Billy straight away, but I can't tell who's beyond him. I'm thinking Dom or Orlando. I'll bet Elijah is taking the picture. He always had his camera and is even credited in the eedvd extras with being a contributor of the behind-the-scenes films/pics... as well as Viggo. But we all know what happens to Viggo when he's surfing ;) *WHAM!* What's special about the picture? Those guys know how to have fun and enjoy being together!

5. Song title/caption
...[Blondie:]One Way Or Another, I'm gonna find ya... I'm gonna getcha, getcha, getcha, getcha...

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 26 2008, 5:11pm

Post #11 of 26 (758 views)
Shortcut
Eight Arms To Hold You [In reply to] Can't Post

He’s earned my respect.

He put together a deliciously detailed, mostly coherent, and reasonably faithful cinematic adaptation of a novel long assumed to be unfilmable.

My Bag O’ Balrogs.

“A bushy hobbity hairdo,
Surfin' Middle-E."

A Crazy Idea (let us know what you think of it)

“Eight Arms To Hold You” by The Beatles, the original title of their LOTR-inspired movie, “Help!”

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 26 2008, 5:41pm

Post #12 of 26 (754 views)
Shortcut
More Beatles [In reply to] Can't Post

He's certainly earned mine.

Because he didn't sell out to Hollywood - he made films that don't just pander to a "demographic", but are real works of art in their own right.

My TORn map. It's beautiful. I don't really have much else, actually. Other than a couple of paperback copies of the book, two sets of DVDs, and the soundtrack CDs. Oh and I've put all the music, plus the audio tracks of the movies, onto my iPod, and have customized the cover art for each track using lots of different screencaps. That was fun to do, and nice to look at while I'm listening!

Hmm. It looks like Billy to me, as others have said. I remember there were some photos of the four hobbits in wetsuits with surfboards. I wonder if this is from that time. I remember they looked pretty good in those wetsuits...

Try to caption this picture

Well, to go with the Beatles theme that's developing, how about some of their early songs:

You really got a hold on me
Roll over, Beethoven
Twist and shout

That was fun, hob! Thanks for this QTNA!

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jun 27 2008, 4:46am

Post #13 of 26 (744 views)
Shortcut
Oh, forgot. Thanks for the GQ ; ) Veddy, veddy nicccccce. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jun 27 2008, 4:52am

Post #14 of 26 (734 views)
Shortcut
They was loverly. Thanks, Kalvarhin. "Quardle oodle ardle wardle doodle" was impressive, too. LOL// [In reply to] Can't Post

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jun 27 2008, 5:00am

Post #15 of 26 (736 views)
Shortcut
Elven! You're the best. [In reply to] Can't Post

Great answer to the respect question.
"I trust Peter because he trusts others. His instinct and intuitiveness is genuine - and for that to be acted upon, I think he trusts himself - and has a great confidence in the things he does which he shares with others. He listens."

Nicely put. I think we should collect tributes and comments about PJ - give them to him some time. I'll think about that - I know it's been done - but not maybe by us here at tORn.
He's the best, in my book.
Glad to hear about that hat. We'll have the story sometime, perhaps?
And, thanks for the lovely Liv. Made me smile - alot.
{{hugs}}
hob

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jun 27 2008, 5:07am

Post #16 of 26 (739 views)
Shortcut
We respect him because he respect us. That is all that needs to be said. Yup. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting, AD.
I've always thought that PJ's coming to the fans on Oscar night was the most special thing he's ever done for the fans. I mean that.

Say, my dear, have you been to DragonCon? That's a costume extravaganza you can't believe until you see it. Most amazing costumes I've ever seen and, in literally the hundreds.
So fun.
{{hugs}}
hob

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jun 27 2008, 6:14am

Post #17 of 26 (749 views)
Shortcut
Bag O' Balrogs!? Like to see that! We did give our soon-to-be granddaughter a bag of dragons once. [In reply to] Can't Post

She was 6, we collect them, she liked them, we liked her, so...
In a paper bag from the grocery store that had a nice handle for easy carrying, we sent her home after her first visit with half a dozen assorted - from a one inch plastic gum machine toy to a stuffed Malevolence 15 inches long.
She has many more now, but those were the first.
Say, Darkstone? I'm the biggest Beatles fan that ever was and I'm not sure I remember that song "Eight arms to hold you."
Cheers, Me Friend.
hob

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jun 27 2008, 6:40am

Post #18 of 26 (726 views)
Shortcut
Lots of Beatles lyrics. Yours fit best. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting, my dear sib.
"Real works of art." So true. I feel as if the movies truly are and you have to respect a man of such genius who is also such a great leader and, yes, great person.
Here's a little something for your trouble and because your "Twist and Shout" and "You really got a hold on me" were so perfect.
With love.Heart
hob

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jun 27 2008, 7:01am

Post #19 of 26 (937 views)
Shortcut
I almost stole your Weathertop. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't that the sculpture you won for getting 100% playing trivia at DragonCon? I was jealous as heck.
In order to save me from a life of crime, the hobbity hubby got me my own Weathertop environment from WETA for Christmas.
Do you really think Elijah took that picture? Nice. I shall be glad to think so from now on when I look at it.
Now, refer to my reply to Far for further surfer-boy(s) goodness.
{{hugs}}
hob

PS: I have saved your PJ answer - I knew you'd be able to say it well and from the heart. Thanks.

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 27 2008, 8:13am

Post #20 of 26 (729 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that's the pic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, hob! They may not be the Beatles, but they're quite a foursome!

Cool

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 27 2008, 8:55am

Post #21 of 26 (721 views)
Shortcut
Surf's Up! [In reply to] Can't Post

And now the waters are blessed ;) Thanks Hob!

sample

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 27 2008, 1:24pm

Post #22 of 26 (741 views)
Shortcut
dragons and arms [In reply to] Can't Post

Dragons: I did a dragon unit when I worked in the schools and had quite a few little dragon toys to show the kids. Those are gone now but I have the notes and books from my dragon unit. We should share sometime.

Arms: HobbitLove wrote, "
Say, Darkstone? I'm the biggest Beatles fan that ever was and I'm not sure I remember that song "Eight arms to hold you." " The song that came to mind for me was "From Me to You"

I've got everything that you want,
Like a heart that is oh, so true.
Just call on me and I'll send it along
With love from me to you.
I got arms that long to hold you
And keep you by my side.
I got lips that long to kiss you
And keep you satisfied, oooh.

But in checking, it turns out that "Eight Arms to Hold You" was the original name of the song and the movie, "Help" (gad.. can you remember watching Help back in the day. What fun!)

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 27 2008, 1:42pm

Post #23 of 26 (723 views)
Shortcut
"Scrambled Eggs" [In reply to] Can't Post

But in checking, it turns out that "Eight Arms to Hold You" was the original name of the song and the movie, "Help" (gad.. can you remember watching Help back in the day. What fun!)

And "Scrambled Eggs" was the working title of the tune eventually used for "Yesterday".

Also, if you have the original "Ticket to Ride" 45 single it has "From the United Artists Release 'Eight Arms To Hold You'" under the title.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jun 27 2008, 1:45pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 27 2008, 11:29pm

Post #24 of 26 (708 views)
Shortcut
I have been to DragonCon [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I was there last year but some personal issues kept me from the TORn moot (one of my great regrets!). It's definitely a costume extravaganza! There are very few conventions like it, to my understanding. But I also have a soft spot in my heart for people who costume for proms or the three guys who wear capes to a fantasy movie, people who wear a costume even knowing they'll probably be the only ones. The world needs more costumes!!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
July Screencap of the Day Schedule

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 28 2008, 12:20pm

Post #25 of 26 (709 views)
Shortcut
You're hubby's so wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he's a keeper. ;)

sample

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.