Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Arwen's Rivendell Farewell Gown?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 25 2008, 4:36pm

Post #1 of 18 (4617 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Arwen's Rivendell Farewell Gown? Can't Post

Welcome back! This costume is completely cut from the Theatrical Version, but appears in the EEs of FotR and TTT. When the Fellowship leave Rivendell and then when Arwen confronts Aragorn and he tries to return the Evenstar.

The main dress is a metallic purple brocade. It changes color under different lighting, so I can't tell you which picture is correct. The bodices buttons down the front with silver buttons and the sleeves and skirt are split to reveal a purple underdress, or at least undersleeves and an underskirt. There is no picture of the underdress, so it could be faked layers. She wears a wide belt with a tail that has an elvish scroll embroidered at the bottom.

The top of the gown has a pointed yoke with silver trim sewn down in a floral scroll design. You can see it here along with the buttons and a better view of the fabric. It's not lined because the inside of the collar is the underside of the brocade!

The tails of the belt must be detachable, because they don't exist in TTT!

And she wears a gold circlet with it.

As usual, The Costumer's Guide and Alley Cat Scratch have more details if you're interested.

Any thoughts?

Did You Ever Notice? is a running look at the detail put into the costumes from LOTR. It doesn't follow any particular order or appear on a certain day, though I try to post once a week or so. You can always find past discussions at the Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
July Screencap of the Day Schedule

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 25 2008, 5:44pm

Post #2 of 18 (3230 views)
Shortcut
These features are growing on me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you.

I didn't know the scene was cut from the TR. I guess I've watched the EE so many times I've forgotten which parts were added and which were original. Though I do remember wondering about the gown the 12" Arwen doll was wearing, as it looked so unfamiliar (and badly fitted -- on the doll that is).

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 25 2008, 5:49pm

Post #3 of 18 (3268 views)
Shortcut
I like the neckline and the shimmery fabric... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not nuts on that belt, though.

I can imagine Arwen trying this outfit on in the Rivendell Mall and saying, "hmmm...well, not so sure about the belt but it makes me look skinny..."

And I do think that between the headpiece and the dress she looks very "Elvish" here...

**This is post 1838 for me, I think -- ha! one step closer to getting out of Gondor!**

Weaver

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 25 2008, 5:57pm

Post #4 of 18 (3238 views)
Shortcut
Very Elvish [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I've been working up a post about one of Elrond's costumes next, and I'm struck by the fact that this is the only costume of Arwen's that compares well with his costumes. She and her dad must have a very different fashion sense. I wonder if he worries about "these young kids today..."

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Patty
Immortal

Jun 25 2008, 6:21pm

Post #5 of 18 (3222 views)
Shortcut
It is very elvish that the color seems to.. [In reply to] Can't Post

change considerably with the light. Like the elvish cloaks that the fellowship is given to wear.

I love that all the elvish clothes look so comfortable to wear.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2008, 7:23pm

Post #6 of 18 (3196 views)
Shortcut
As all her outfits, it's gorgeous.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Elven
Valinor

Jun 26 2008, 1:05pm

Post #7 of 18 (3226 views)
Shortcut
I like this costume .. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm mad on brocade - and I love the shimmery effect on this fabric - and the way it really does change colour.
I have seen this dress so many times whilst watching the films, and weather its a trick of such a short scene shot for Arwen - but at first I thought his dress had almost like a Laura Ashley type small flower on it - it was pale in colour and that ther were flowers dotted over it in a geometric pattern. Another time I thought the dress was silver brocade with tiny leaves on twirling stems ... and then another time, it looked quilted ... so its purple now LOL!! Very Elvish!!
Her dress design seems ceremonial - like a kimono - its the sash and the way its tied ... and it does remind me of Elronds grey outfit - the coat and pants? It has an oriental type style to it? Maybe thats just the way I see it ... but I agree with your other post - Arwen and Elrond's matching set Wink

I thought Arwen looked different in this scene, and I liked her 'look' - she somehow seemed younger - not her confident self we saw dodging riders on her steed and standing up to them at the Ford - She seems like a young maiden in this scene - unsure of herself - surrounded and supported by her elvish friends ... thier colours representing the autumn and the autumn sky.

I thought her circlet looks silver in this shot ... I'll have to go to the alleycat to get a better look ... but the shape of this is very beautiful - it follows the brow line and dips down and curves back around the head - it sits perfectly ... I love the necklaces and the circlets the other elves wear - these are quite 'different' from the others in the movie - very free form - not so formal.

Thankyou Arwen's Daughter!
Another great week!

Cheers Elven x

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2008, 1:47pm

Post #8 of 18 (3227 views)
Shortcut
This costume is a bit different [In reply to] Can't Post

The metallic fabric is a bit different from the fabrics that her other gowns are made of. This gown also doesn't have the open or plunging necklines that some of her other ones do; the overall effect is a bit more modest. The wide belt reminds me of a Japanese obi (sash for a kimono) and I think the gown shows a bit of that influence, too.

As a side comment, while I like the design of the yellow gown that the elf woman to Arwen's left is wearing, I can't stand its color. That yellow ochre shade just doesn't look good on her.

We're discussing the BBC Lord of the Rings Radio Play on the Movie Discussion - LOTR board.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Jun 26 2008, 1:50pm)

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2008, 2:26pm

Post #9 of 18 (3193 views)
Shortcut
I like to think [In reply to] Can't Post

that this gown is more modest because she's feeling vulnerable right now, a need to cover/protect herself a little more, after her argument/disagreement with Aragorn.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26 2008, 4:10pm

Post #10 of 18 (3221 views)
Shortcut
Elvish printing on the tail of sash? Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never noticed that! *squints as enlarged pic* Her costumes are so stunning. The collar of this one reminds me of her riding outfits she wears when meeting Aragorn and the hobbits in the wild. The colours of her outfits go from subtle (like this one) to brilliant (death dress).

That shot of her standing next to the column is stunning! And the simiple circlet on her brow is very appropriate paired with the very detailed dress pattern..

I'm so glad you showed this one. Isn't it amazing how much we've been given in the eedvds! It makes me pine for the things that were cut that we've never seen. *sigh*

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 26 2008, 6:41pm

Post #11 of 18 (3172 views)
Shortcut
What more could I say? [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great summary of this dress! It always feels very asian to me, too. Even though it's not obviously taking from any particular culture or style. Ngila says she was influenced by art nouveau as well, and I think costumes like this show it, in a strange sort of way. That's what I love about these costumes. You can usually spot some things that influenced them, but you never look at an elf dress and say "That's a kimono," or "That's so 1920s." The influences are very subtle, imo.

I read that Ngila and team used Indian brocades for these costumes and then washed and even sandpapered them to bring out the shine. Shocked That shine really messes with the cameras, doesn't it? It's no wonder that you could never pin down exactly what color it is! But it's great because it gives that otherworldly feel without glitter and special effects following them around.

Well, apparently I could say a lot more! Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

(This post was edited by Arwen's daughter on Jun 26 2008, 6:42pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 26 2008, 7:00pm

Post #12 of 18 (3190 views)
Shortcut
Don't make me think about it! [In reply to] Can't Post

All of those missing costumes! We have pictures of some of them, but not very good ones, unfortunately. And some of them we still haven't seen! Arrrrgh! Maybe I can do a lump post of all the Arwen costumes that were cut Evil

Here's the larger version of that FIRST PIC. It might help you see the scroll design better. I can't seem to find a sketch of it anywhere, oddly enough. It's not one of the more replicated costumes so I suppose it figures that there's less research to be had.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 27 2008, 3:08am

Post #13 of 18 (3161 views)
Shortcut
The link isn't working // [In reply to] Can't Post

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 27 2008, 11:53pm

Post #14 of 18 (3164 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

TRY THIS. It's just a larger version of that first picture. I think the belt is a bit easier to "read."

One day I will remember to check my links before I post them! *shakes head and mutters*

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 28 2008, 12:20am

Post #15 of 18 (3136 views)
Shortcut
thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry for a short reply here... I'm feeling the warm and fuzzy effects of Vicodin and there's no coherence in me at the moment.

But I can manage this: Ooh... look ... a pretty white peacock. :-)

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Elven
Valinor

Jun 28 2008, 4:10am

Post #16 of 18 (3216 views)
Shortcut
Arwen's Daughter - do you know ... [In reply to] Can't Post

where all the costumes are now?
I saw the LOTR exhibition, and know some of the dresses were there - and the other costumes, and Liv was given her Rivendell outfit (the one in your avatar) ..
Are costumes held somewhere?

There is a dress in the EE commentaries - I think its in the production/artistic/ section where Arwen has on a deep pink dress ... the shot is about 2 seconds worth - she's in a Rivendell or Lorien setting ... and is talking to the Hobbits (or their doubles) as the camera pans past ... I havent seen this dress anywhere either.

Cheers
Elven

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 28 2008, 12:35pm

Post #17 of 18 (3145 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! I forgot about the white peacock [In reply to] Can't Post

off on the side, there! Loverly :)

I've attached a closeup of the sash decoration. What a beautiful touch.

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists
Attachments: costume Arwen Rivendell farewell sash closeup.jpg (23.3 KB)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 28 2008, 8:32pm

Post #18 of 18 (3152 views)
Shortcut
No, I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know where all of the costumes are now or even if they've all been saved. Some productions will save their costumes and props in a huge warehouse (Star Trek did), some will sell wardrobe and props off through someone like The Propstore of London, some will rent them to other productions, and some will destroy them (especially if they want to keep them off of ebay). If they are in storage somewhere, I do hope they're well packed to avoid any damage to the finer materials Crazy

I think I know which dress you're talking about, from Rivendell. Is it THIS ONE? If so, it was one of several Arwen dresses that never made it into the film. I don't know why, but it makes me sad...

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.