'Hobbit' Update: The Latest from Director Guillermo del Toro
for the complete story Hollywood.com

Cheers and goodnight all
Kel x

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay
Kelvarhin's Universe
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play (with thanks to grammaboodawg :) )
Is TORn...Is Good

Empedocles
Rivendell

Jun 25 2008, 12:05pm

Post #2 of 16 (578 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Great article. I love the fact that he is not planning to water down the Hobbit to make it a family film. And it's also great to know that they're about to enter pre-production. To know that Alan Lee and John Howe may already be drawing dwarves and trolls and landscapes is just so exciting. Can't wait for Hellboy II.

Please, give us back Glorfindel!!!

Elven
Valinor

Jun 25 2008, 12:33pm

Post #3 of 16 (559 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Kel :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks as if things might start getting off the ground soon and they'll be some news about ... as diedye says, its been a bit quiet - but just knowing GdT will visiting NZ so often soon, and be at WETA and getting down to the designs is great news!

Its very positive and exciting!

Cheers
Elven

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

merklynn
Lorien

Jun 25 2008, 1:14pm

Post #4 of 16 (578 views)
Shortcut
OMG flying to NZ every 2 weeks? Is Guillermo insane? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe he is so casual about the idea of flying to NZ every two weeks...

5. He'll be racking up frequent flyer miles to New Zealand:
"I'm going to be going every two weeks. We start preconceptualizations both in New Zealand and LA. I open the conceptualization shop in August. I travel to Weta to start doing some more research and development and I'm going to be going to New Zealand every two weeks or so. Spend a week there, spend a week, for me it's like commuting to Burbank. I'm used to these things."

From LAX it is 12 hours. Even in 1st class, every two weeks is going to take its toll with jet lag. I flew regularly for a couple of years, sometimes just weeks apart (although not to and from NZ, that I did at most every 5-6 months). I was fine for a while, but eventually I got hit really bad with jet lag and the homeopathic drugs didn't do anything. The jet lag was so bad it was almost like having the flu for a month after the flight. Going back to NZ is the draining part and where the jet lag is worse.

I'm sure 1st class to NZ is a lot more comfortable, but every two weeks is a killer! I'm not sure Guillermo knows what he is in for.

Oh and I hope the USA to NZ currency improves for cost effectiveness in making the movies because Renaissance Pictures who produce Power Rangers out in NZ are packing up shop and returning to USA based production for next year citing it no longer being so advantageous to film in NZ. I hope come 2010-2011 that things will work out more favorably for The Hobbit films or they could be the last big budget NZ films for a while.

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Most importantly, do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in the Times Online." - Buddha muses over coverage of the Tolkien lawsuit

(This post was edited by merklynn on Jun 25 2008, 1:15pm)

Jettorex
Lorien

Jun 25 2008, 2:39pm

Post #5 of 16 (556 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the info Kelvarhin! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am glad they are starting preprod soon!

Love, Truth, Honor, Adventure

Lady_Eowyn
Bree

Jun 25 2008, 4:00pm

Post #6 of 16 (537 views)
Shortcut
Hi everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so thrilled that you guys posted this! I am really excited to see what is going to become of The Hobbit. One thing I was hoping that would not happen is that it would get watered down like LOTRs did. I hope he includes every bit of the book and keeps it true to the fans.

Nice to meet you all

Eowyn: But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

Lord Of The Rings Book 5 Chapter 6 The Battle of the Pelennor Fields

Nimloth
Lorien

Jun 25 2008, 8:47pm

Post #7 of 16 (526 views)
Shortcut
Good news [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting Kelvarhin, I love reading little titbits like this. Things are moving slowly but surely forward Smile.

Welcome to the boards Lady Eowyn Smile.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jun 26 2008, 1:54am

Post #8 of 16 (490 views)
Shortcut
It's the titbits like this that are so much fun [In reply to] Can't Post

and ferreting them out of the net is too. One of the things I loved the most when LOTR came out. It helps to keep the excitement going, like finding a gold coin when you expected brass Wink

Glad you enjoyed it, now I need another coffee Tongue

*hugs* Kel x

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay
Kelvarhin's Universe
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play (with thanks to grammaboodawg :) )
Is TORn...Is Good

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jun 26 2008, 1:59am

Post #9 of 16 (650 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the boards, Lady Eowyn [In reply to] Can't Post

You're in the right place to discuss, geek out about (LOL), all things Tolkien. Look forward to seeing you on the boards.

Oh and if you want or need any advice, feel free to ask, people in here are real friendly and helpful, bit like an oversized family *grin*

Welcome again!

Kelvarhin x

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay
Kelvarhin's Universe
Is TORn...Is Good

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jun 26 2008, 2:05am

Post #10 of 16 (637 views)
Shortcut
It makes [In reply to] Can't Post

you feel exhausted just thinking about it doesn't it?

Hope he doesn't burn himself out. Listen to the mummy in me coming out LOL. But seriously wouldn't want anyone to put their health at risk like that. As you said merklynn I hope he knows what he's truly in for flying in and out every two weeks. Even my friends fly-in fly-out hubbys don't do it that often, it's usually a 3 month, 6 week turnaround and they find that exhausting.

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay
Kelvarhin's Universe
Is TORn...Is Good

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jun 26 2008, 2:08am

Post #11 of 16 (637 views)
Shortcut
You're very welcome :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Been getting itchy fingers, searching/waiting for any information, looks like old habits die hard Crazy

*hugs* Kel x

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay
Kelvarhin's Universe
Is TORn...Is Good

Lady_Eowyn
Bree

Jun 26 2008, 2:51am

Post #12 of 16 (643 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much... [In reply to] Can't Post

for the warm welcomes. I am quite familiar with message boards and I am thrilled to be among my own kind (so to speak)Wink Tolkien is one of my favorite writers of all time. I wish only that I could write like him.

Look forward to all the posts, again thanks for the warm welcomes and I hope to get to know all of you well.

Eowyn: But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

Lord Of The Rings Book 5 Chapter 6 The Battle of the Pelennor Fields

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 28 2008, 1:15pm

Post #13 of 16 (583 views)
Shortcut
Any questions about GdT's commitment [In reply to] Can't Post

to doing whatever he can for these films have been dashed, imho. I just hope he doesn't have problems with the circulation in his legs. When you sit for long periods of times like he would for these numerous flights, it can cause blood clots and very dangerous. I hope he moves around a lot during these long hours on the plane.

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

mwirkk
Rohan

Jun 28 2008, 3:39pm

Post #14 of 16 (568 views)
Shortcut
Thx K! Looks like a selected transcript... [In reply to] Can't Post

...from the interview at the Saturns.
This text will be handy for anyone who had trouble watching the video (e.g.).

Cheers! :)

The Black Knight Always Triumphs!!

-mwirkk :)

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jun 29 2008, 6:04am

Post #15 of 16 (549 views)
Shortcut
And drinks lots of water [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't ya tell we're mothers LOL Wink

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa
An Valinor, lissë Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe
Is TORn...Is Good

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jun 29 2008, 6:08am

Post #16 of 16 (573 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

actually when I found the article, the video hadn't been posted online Crazy

*evil grin* and I posted the link in here hours before Xoanon did on the main page Tongue The old girl ain't lost her touch completely Evil

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa
An Valinor, lissë Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe
Is TORn...Is Good

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.