Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Viggo Mortensen interested in returning!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2008, 3:25pm

Post #1 of 45 (2542 views)
Shortcut
Viggo Mortensen interested in returning! Can't Post

This article was just posted today, and I didn't see it here yet, so I thought I'd post it. A friend on a Yahoo mailing list alerted me of this. Cool

http://www.lvrj.com/news/20651089.html

The important part below:

CineVegas also saw the trickling out of bits of film-geek news. Viggo Mortensen -- the acclaimed star of "Eastern Promises" and "A History of Violence"-- shot down a virulent and utterly freakazoid Web rumor that he will portray Edgar Allan Poe in a movie directed by Sylvester Stallone.
Mortensen also said he would like to replay the "Lord of the Rings" part of Aragorn in future "Hobbit" movies that have been announced by "Rings" director Peter Jackson.
"I'd rather not have another actor play the part I started out playing for Peter Jackson. And I had a lot of friends from that experience," he said.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

(This post was edited by Ainu Laire on Jun 23 2008, 3:32pm)

AlatarVinyamar
Lorien

Jun 23 2008, 3:32pm

Post #2 of 45 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

But the quote is not the same and the commentary.

The quote says he'd prefer nobody else played Aragorn. Thats not the same as saying he wants to play it. He may well be saying "Leave Aragorn alone".

I accept that its a valid extrapolation, but unless he actually said "I'd like to return to play the part", its just supposition.

ringbearer9
Lorien

Jun 23 2008, 4:40pm

Post #3 of 45 (990 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the Heads up AL, [In reply to] Can't Post

intersting for sure...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 23 2008, 4:47pm

Post #4 of 45 (1016 views)
Shortcut
Classy Guy! [In reply to] Can't Post

As classy and loyal as the Kingly Ranger he portrayed. GO VIGGO!! :D

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 23 2008, 5:22pm

Post #5 of 45 (1030 views)
Shortcut
The impression, [In reply to] Can't Post

that is, the subtext one takes from everything Viggo said on the EEs is that filming the Rings were the best days of his life. Not returning to Middle Earth while H and F2 are being made would "take the heart" of him. I would put more stock in the friends comment than what he did not say about reprising Aragorn.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 23 2008, 5:26pm

Post #6 of 45 (995 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

at least one thing we know. Either it will be Viggo portraying Aragorn, or Aragorn won't be in The Hobbit or Film 2.
I like that. It would be strange if you saw somebody else playing a character we know so well.

tedster88
The Shire

Jun 23 2008, 5:51pm

Post #7 of 45 (962 views)
Shortcut
Viggo is awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope Mortensen does return he played Aragorn very well in LOTR and is a uber cool guy. Also since he has been in great in History Of Violence and Eastern Pronises in which he was deservedly nominated for a oscar.

StillCrazy
Bree

Jun 23 2008, 5:58pm

Post #8 of 45 (1004 views)
Shortcut
Younger Estel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
at least one thing we know. Either it will be Viggo portraying Aragorn, or Aragorn won't be in The Hobbit or Film 2.
I like that. It would be strange if you saw somebody else playing a character we know so well.

I don't know if that is entirely true, what if, perchance, PJ and GDT decide on a different actor? Really Viggo has no say in who they choose to be Aragorn.

That said it would be a real shame if he wasn't Aragorn. And really really bad mistake on both PJ and GDT part.

And I don't see why not Viggo. The only real problem is if they want a teenage Estel is shown, Viggo would not be able to play that part. Well I guess he could, but I hate when they try to make someone who is 20 years older fit into a much younger part, it looks bad in my opinion. I wonder if his son could play a young Estel? That would be really cool a father and son playing the same part in the same movie.

All the worlds a stage.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jun 23 2008, 6:03pm

Post #9 of 45 (1028 views)
Shortcut
What PJ said in the chat some time ago was [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ: Like Guillermo says, apart from extreme circumstances, we would never recast a character who appeared in the LOTR trilogy. You can read The Hobbit and pretty much see which characters play a part. The unknown factor is Film Two, which we are still developing. If we wished to write one of the LOTR characters into the narrative of Film Two, we would only do that with that actors blessing, and willingess to take part. Otherwise wed take the writing in another direction.

So I think it's either Viggo or no Viggo at all (save the young Aragorn, of course - but then they can include the older one, too Wink

You can find the whole chat here:
http://www.theonering.net/...unexpectedpartychat/

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Deni
Rivendell

Jun 23 2008, 6:10pm

Post #10 of 45 (992 views)
Shortcut
oh....noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o [In reply to] Can't Post

why want pj and gdt an other actor for aragorn????
that would be very weird...i thought that hobbit has got the same actors like those in lotr...(except bilbo...i know..)if not the films wont go together anyway??!!!UnsureMad

ps: yeah...that would be cool if son and father play in the same film...just like in The Pursuit of Happyness...will smith is playing with his son in that film....DENIHeart

Its dangerous business going out your door and if you dont keep your feet theres no knowing where you might be swept off to

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 23 2008, 6:34pm

Post #11 of 45 (956 views)
Shortcut
That's what I meant!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for putting that straight.

StillCrazy
Bree

Jun 23 2008, 7:13pm

Post #12 of 45 (929 views)
Shortcut
What If... [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn isn't in the new movies....

That would be really really really horrible.

I plum forgot that PJ said he was casting the people in the same roles. Blush So I would think Viggo is a go, if Aragorn is in the movies. And he better be in the movies or there will be plenty of us fans who will be rather disappointed, to say the least.

All the worlds a stage.

burrahobbit
Rohan

Jun 23 2008, 7:38pm

Post #13 of 45 (962 views)
Shortcut
Could Viggo play a 20 year old? [In reply to] Can't Post

If the filmmakers go for an Aragorn focussed Film 2 then it seems to me the key event during the timeline is when Elrond reveals to Estel his lineage, leading to Aragorn's departure into the wild. This happens when Aragorn is about twenty years old. So could Viggo make a convincing twenty year old? I think after make-up (and a good shave Wink) he probably could, but it would be pushing it.

I wonder if PJ's approach, that the availability of actors should determine the writing direction, could be a bit more flexible as hopefully Film 2 will bring new aspects to existing characters. For example I think it would be worth exploring recasting Saruman, as a new actor could help the audience to reinterpret his character as a wise and powerful ally rather than the treacherous enemy that is associated with Lee's performance. For Aragorn I think on balance sticking with Viggo would work best, though some scenes with Estel as a boy (say with Bilbo visiting Rivendell) using a young actor could also contribute to his character development.

View my Hobbit Film Adaptation Discussion

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2008, 7:47pm

Post #14 of 45 (932 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately, Henry doesn't look anything like Viggo [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO, he looks more like his mother. But it's possible that similarities may have come out more now he's older. I haven't seen a picture of him since TTT.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 23 2008, 7:50pm

Post #15 of 45 (924 views)
Shortcut
There's always Sadwyn Brophy. / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.

jnett
Bree

Jun 23 2008, 10:12pm

Post #16 of 45 (914 views)
Shortcut
A younger Viggo [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he could pull it off with Hollywood technology; If not I don't think it would be that be of a deal.

The Hippie

mwirkk
Rohan

Jun 23 2008, 11:12pm

Post #17 of 45 (932 views)
Shortcut
Maybe? Depends... :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, we would all expect a 20yo to look significantly more youthful than an 80-something. But, of course, Aragorn lives several times longer than the lesser stalk of Men, so his apparent aging curve is way off from what might otherwise be expected. Does an extended adult life necessarily mean a similarly lengthened pre-adulty development period? Couldn't say. But I think not necessarily. And not necessarily should he be limited to our own maturation timeline. Delivery of hormones during development can greatly accelerate the process. I have an anecdote along those lines...

When I was in high-school, during track season when I was 16, once a week the sprinters and field guys were supposed to go out and get in their miles with us distance guys. Usually there was a group of the sprinters and shot-putters/discus throwers who thought it was BS, and knowing we'd have to return by the same route as we left would just stop at one of the fast-food establishments along the way and rejoin us when we came back by. ;P So one day some of the rest of us thought, hey, that's not such a bad idea. So we decide join them for an hour of refreshment at a Pizza Hut. One of the fielders (a shot-putter) had recently moved down to the States with his family from Canada's Northwest Territories. He was a big burly guy, just huge, already with a big thick beard, a baritone voice and a very pronounced, masculine face -- just the sort of mountain man character you'd expect to come traipsing out of the wilderness. And a very jovial, friendly fellow too, fortunately. :) So the waitress comes up and asks what we'd like. Our "Paul Bunyan" takes the lead and says, "I'll have a pint of Bud and these boys would like a pitcher of Coke..." I just about dropped out of my chair laughing so hard! She served him his beer and never even asked for ID. He was just 16 like the rest of us. I asked some of the guys if it was always like that, and they said, Ya, just about everywhere they go out somewhere. :) You can bet I made sure to tag along with OPB as often as I could after that! I still run into him now and then, and over the past 30 years, with the exception of a bit of gray at the temples, you'd hardly believe he's aged at all since then.

Well, that's a rare example of unusual outward aging for certain. If it were a survey he'd probably be thrown out as a spurious data point. :) But it does show it can happen. And besides, I figure if they can get away with 25+ year-olds playing high-schoolers on TV...

Anyway, if GdT/PJ do like was suggested in one of the interviews (was it the online session?) and they only concentrate on a single period in the intervening 60 (or 77) years, maybe it won't be something earlier on, but instead something later? At any rate, I'm with you burrahobbit, I think Viggo could be dressed up enough to pull it off. And there's atleast a year ahead of us to speculate about the what-ifs!... ;)

The Black Knight Always Triumphs!!

-mwirkk :)

gracie
Bree

Jun 24 2008, 12:03am

Post #18 of 45 (889 views)
Shortcut
ahh yes [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileI agree with you, regarding the whole topic, You're right lets not focus on what he might not have said!!
It would be awesome to see him again!

" a ranger caught off his guard.....I doubt it..!!

Elven
Valinor

Jun 24 2008, 12:24am

Post #19 of 45 (899 views)
Shortcut
Viggo is Aragorn .. [In reply to] Can't Post

and I can well understand how difficult it must be for some actors to have their previous roles taken from them when the 'next' film arrives.

I cant see PJ or Guillermo thinking of anyone else in Aragorn's role but Viggo - he is a true friend of Middle-earth!

.. and he's a gentleman!

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jun 24 2008, 3:17am

Post #20 of 45 (905 views)
Shortcut
Viggo circa 1980 [In reply to] Can't Post

And Viggo circa 2008 (with thanks to Viggo Works)

Personally I think he could get away with it EvilEvilEvil

Cheers Kelvarhin x

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay
Kelvarhin's Universe
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play (with thanks to grammaboodawg :) )
Is TORn...Is Good

StillCrazy
Bree

Jun 24 2008, 4:10am

Post #21 of 45 (857 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

And Viggo circa 2008 (with thanks to Viggo Works)

Personally I think he could get away with it EvilEvilEvil

Cheers Kelvarhin x

He looks like he's lost weightin the interm years. Just an observation, nothing more.

Oh and he is one fine looking man. Heart

All the worlds a stage.

mwirkk
Rohan

Jun 24 2008, 4:28am

Post #22 of 45 (864 views)
Shortcut
Good observation. [In reply to] Can't Post

While he might not want to do it (just reading about his healthy lifestyle and such), putting some weight back on might help with making him look a bit younger, if some of the weight can go into the face and neck. It would serve to soften lines. Otherwise, they may have to just rely on the magic of the makeup van and lighting wizards. It'll work - I have no worries. I don't think he's going to fall apart between now and end of principal photography. :)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jun 24 2008, 4:43am

Post #23 of 45 (832 views)
Shortcut
Estel [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I meant when I said that they would need another actor for young Aragorn - ten-year-old Estel in Imladris while the dwarves and Bilbo passed through. Sorry for not being clear on that.

As for the 20-year-old ... hm ... if they don't show him too much, it may be possible, with a bit of make-up, I think, though they should probably concentrate on the Ranger in the Wilds years later, when Viggos age isn't so much of an issue. His beard hides a lot Wink

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jun 24 2008, 4:51am

Post #24 of 45 (850 views)
Shortcut
And he threw [In reply to] Can't Post

himself into the part and did much more than just 'play the part'. How many actors don't only try to contribute to the script, but care for their costumes themselves, carry their sword everywere etc.? He didn't play Aragorn, he *was* Aragorn. Who could replace such an actor? No way!

mwirkk
Rohan

Jun 24 2008, 8:12am

Post #25 of 45 (835 views)
Shortcut
And consider that... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that's not knowing anything about the story or the part beforehand, and taking the part on the recommendation of his son (so the story goes), and then having to play catch-up after being brought in late. Pretty amazing, really. A true master of his craft.

Of course, being around all that great stuff Weta was cranking out, I think it could do a great deal to inspire anyone. :)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.