The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
*MISC 06/20/08* - Zirak-Zigil

vtboyarc
Lorien

Jun 20 2008, 3:39pm

Post #1 of 13 (203 views)
Shortcut
*MISC 06/20/08* - Zirak-Zigil Can't Post

I know this is a bit early, but I will be away from my computer tomorrow.
So, people seemed to liked the Balrog vs Gandalf in Moria last time, so I thought it might be nice to continue the battle between these 2 mighty Maiar.

1. Fighting at the top of Zirak-Zigil

2. Gandalf gets ready to blast the Balrog....

3. ...bam! Talk about powerful light! I know in the last MISC I did there was talk of Gandalfs little white light, and here we see it again, ultimately triumphant

4. The Balrog falls of Zirak-Zigil. KIA

5. Now this picture, I think, is perhaps the most interesting. In the same shot, we see both the Balrog and Gandalf lying dead. Or is Gandalf considered to be dead at this point? And who do you think was victorious? I think the answer to that last question is obvious in the next picture...

....Gandalf! "But you fell!" - Aragorn
But still, back to picture 5, what do you think about that image, the two Maiar seen lying dead? Do you think Gandalf should be considered dead at that point? What do you think about Gandalfs coming back to life process? Like, how does that work? Him being sent back?
Well I hope you all enjoy this MISC, it was fun doing it, and I hope to do it again sometime!

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and its worth fighting for.

(This post was edited by vtboyarc on Jun 20 2008, 3:41pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 20 2008, 3:52pm

Post #2 of 13 (119 views)
Shortcut
Alternate Music [In reply to] Can't Post

The Zirak Zigal section starts at 2:40.

Prepared by JimJWare.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 20 2008, 3:56pm

Post #3 of 13 (113 views)
Shortcut
audio clip for unused music [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a zipped audio clip of that same scene. Right click the link, save as, unzip downloaded file and play.

This mixes the movie's audio with the unused music

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2008, 3:59pm

Post #4 of 13 (118 views)
Shortcut
Hmm. Wings. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never quite decided which camp I'm in. In the first image, there is a lot of smoke and shadow, no apparent physical wings. But in the penultimate image, it certainly looks like wings in the snow, or at least the pattern of wings as in a snow angel, almost.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 20 2008, 4:43pm

Post #5 of 13 (118 views)
Shortcut
Isn't that awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Look at the detail of that high battlement! I've always seen that spot of Gandalf raising his sword as a moment of receiving a bolt of lightening charge that defeats the Balrog with the extra potency. Gandalf has, I'm sure, already smited him several times. This was the wielder of the flame of Arnor shifting into High gear, so to speak ;)

It's hard to see in the following shot of the Balrog down and Gandalf lying on the snow, but you can see the imprint of the Balrog where it fell onto Gandalf.

I love having the chance to see this battle where it's only been narrated to us in the book (like the storming of Isengard).

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Foe
Lorien

Jun 20 2008, 5:01pm

Post #6 of 13 (136 views)
Shortcut
At the very least, this scene let's loose one of my favorite lines from the trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

"I smote his ruin on the moun-tain-side"

as only Gandalf can deliver it.

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2008, 5:39pm

Post #7 of 13 (123 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes -- love that line!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2008, 6:16pm

Post #8 of 13 (108 views)
Shortcut
Love this scene- [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought you get a kind of glimpse into Tolkien's other works in this scene. You see Zirak-Zigil, which has not been mentioned, and won't be mentioned again, you get as close to "Eru" as you're ever going to in the films, you see Gandalf use his "wizardly" knowledge to defeat a creature that is pretty much his equal- this is kind of the only point in the movie that very quickly delves into something that movie-watchers only won't see again. (even Valinor is mentioned a few times, you see Elves leaving a lot, you see Cirdan and the boat).
I always thought that Gandalf got sent back because with Saruman's corruption, the "white wizard" does not exist, and there needs to be a new one if that makes sense.

Great SCOTD!! Laugh
thanks!

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. - Oscar Wilde
This is a work of fiction. All the characters in it, human and otherwise, are imaginary, excepting only certain of the fairy folk, whom it might be unwise to offend by casting doubts on their existence. Or lack thereof. -Neil Gaiman
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. - Mark Twain
You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. - Walt Disney
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. - Louis Hector Berlioz
Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. -C.S. Lewis

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2008, 3:53pm

Post #9 of 13 (92 views)
Shortcut
"I've been sent back, until my task is done" [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that image of Gandalf and the Balrog both lying dead. I think this moment was really a test for Gandalf. Sort of, this is what he needed to do to gain the powers of his superiors (i.e. Saruman). I think by defeating the Balrog, he proved worthy, however, having been killed, he was only sent back until piece was regained in Middle-Earth (i.e. the defeat of Sauron).

Also, I love the way that the flames of the Balrog distinguish as he falls to his doom. It's a nice touch.

Great MISC vtboyarc! Cool

"WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN"

Did you ever wish certain moments from LOTR could've made it to the screen? Have you ever imagined what would have happened if all of the original writings from the script actually made it to the films? Well, "What Could Have Been" is the right discussion for you! Starting this summer will be a series of topics about what could have been in "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy". Be on the lookout, and be sure to join in on the fun!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 22 2008, 9:13pm

Post #10 of 13 (76 views)
Shortcut
One of my favorite lines in the Trilogy! // [In reply to] Can't Post

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
Screencap of the Day Schedule for June

sador
Half-elven

Jun 22 2008, 9:25pm

Post #11 of 13 (100 views)
Shortcut
That blast reminded me of a scene in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a roar and a crackle, and the tree above him burst into a leaf and a bloom of blinding flame. The fire leapt from tree-top to tree-top. The whole hill was crowned with dazzling light. The swords and knives of the defenders shone and flickered. The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air. and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain. All the others fled.

From 'A Journey in the Dark', not very far from Zirak-Zigil.

Does it seem familiar to anyone else?

"For one thing, in that position one has a chance of putting a question a second time" - Merry

Artanis
Rohan

Jun 24 2008, 9:51am

Post #12 of 13 (65 views)
Shortcut
I really [In reply to] Can't Post

liked some of the shots you chose. It is good to study them in detail, as this part of the film is so thrilling and rushes by so fast, you are on the edge of your seat when watching (I am anyway!!!)

Artanis

Reading: Unfinished Tales -Tolkien, The Princess and Curdie - G. Macdonald, Father Brown Selected Stories - G.K. Chesterton

Listening: LOTR Trilogy Soundrack, The Silmarillion Crowded House - Wood Face.

Random Delights: tea, sleep and TORn

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 24 2008, 2:18pm

Post #13 of 13 (67 views)
Shortcut
ah, multiple MISC's! [In reply to] Can't Post

Try saying that three times fast...Wink

I'm late but I wanted to say thanks for nice treat -- that's a great sequence and posted the best shots from it.

I liked that the films showed us this battle, and that we got it in bits and pieces -- the "fall" at the start of TTT, and then the final moment of the fight and its aftermath. With Gandalf narrating it, too, we get a bit of the same sense of the books with him "telling" it to the rest of the Three Hunters. This is a case where they really did a great job of adapting a key book moment in a way that worked very well on film.

Weaver

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.