Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this past week or weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20 2007, 1:33am

Post #26 of 48 (158 views)
Shortcut
I loved the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie was reasonably faithful, the major exception being the Hollywoodized ending, which annoyed me greatly by completely demolishing the moral point and complexity of the book. Argh.

So if you liked the movie I venture to say you'll like the book, especially if you find a good translation of it. Unlike many books written in that era, it's got lots of action and I found it to be a real page-turner. Highly recommended.

Silverlode

Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The genius and the plan thus inspired
Depart me and I, entering a room,
Find myself on the threshold, stand still
And wonder what I came to do there.

Patty
Immortal

Mar 20 2007, 4:44am

Post #27 of 48 (151 views)
Shortcut
My favorite Blackadder is the one where .. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hugh Laurie is the Prince Regent. That is series 3, but actually comes after Blackadder one, two, and the Cavalier years, so I would say technically 4th (except it isn't.) Good and confused, are you now?

Welcome to Rivendell, Patty Baggins

Radhruin
Rohan

Mar 20 2007, 8:16am

Post #28 of 48 (190 views)
Shortcut
Lucky Number Slevin [In reply to] Can't Post

I found it to be much more intriguing than I expected. Lucy Liu was delightful as a quirky character who grabbed my attention and kept it. I loved her character's interaction with Slevin. Well, done in my opinion. I enjoyed seeing veterans like Ben Kingsley, Morgan Freeman, and Bruce Willis together in their respective roles. I really enjoyed it, although I would warn that it is violent, and has a few scenes with adult themes.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
~Oscar Wilde

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 20 2007, 1:45pm

Post #29 of 48 (226 views)
Shortcut
Vampire puppies and Spock's wife [In reply to] Can't Post

Zoltan, Hound of Dracula (1978). “Starring” Arlene Martel (Spock’s wife T'Pring) who only appears in the first 10 minutes of the movie. Talk about false advertising! Anyway, Dracula had a dog, who now wants a new master, so he goes to America to bite Dracula’s last surviving descendant. “Last surviving descendant”? The guy has a wife and two kids. Hmmmmm. That also fits in with the litter of doberman pups that the two German shepards have. Anyway, Zoltan begins building an army of vampire dogs so he can invade the guy’s Winnebago and turn him into the next Dracula. I will say the dogs (and puppies) are very good in this. (Yes, there is a vampire puppy just in case of a sequel.)
-Not recommended.

Topsy Turvy (1999). Gilbert and Sullivan create The Mikado. A magnificent film, a play within a play. A leisurely three hours long, but never boring. Wonderful behind the scenes of a stage production. All the actors are fantastic. A small part by Andy Serkis as the choreographer. Very nice period piece.
-Very highly recommended.

The Greeks Had A Word for Them. (1932) Three gold diggers (Ina Claire, Joan Blondell and Madge Evans) go through rich sugar daddies like water. A surprisingly racy comedy. Clothing designed by *the* Gabrielle Chanel. A bit talky. Lots of Art Déco sets.
-Recommended

Stolen Holiday (1937) The always lovely Kay Francis is a down on her luck model recruited by Claude Raines to lend his shady activities class and sophistication. They both become rich and successful. Based on a real life financial scandal that shook the French government. The scenes between Francis and Raines are classic. The only slow going is Francis’ romance with a "good guy".
-Recommended.

I met a Balrog on the stair
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Mar 20 2007, 2:11pm

Post #30 of 48 (144 views)
Shortcut
Blackadder II [In reply to] Can't Post

I also love the Blackadders where Miranda Richardson played "Queen Elizabeth I"

Boycott New Line!
http://www.boycottnewline.com

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 20 2007, 2:15pm

Post #31 of 48 (154 views)
Shortcut
"Who's Queen?" [In reply to] Can't Post

I say that to the younger generation all the time.

Only a real man would dare do his morning power walk in a puffy shirt.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

luinfalathiel
Lorien

Mar 20 2007, 2:19pm

Post #32 of 48 (173 views)
Shortcut
Raiders of the Lost Ark!! [In reply to] Can't Post

The first movie that utterly blew me away and turned me into a rabid fan. To prove it, I would like to share this with you:

http://pounce.skew.org/rodents/

Keep in mind - I was 12. :)

Follow my Korean adventures!
http://simulflow.vox.com

Grishnakh: Let’s put a larva-puncture in its belly.
http://pounce.skew.org/lotr/meetingtreebeard

the eye of luinfalathiel

the eye of luinfalathiel

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 20 2007, 2:47pm

Post #33 of 48 (134 views)
Shortcut
I love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

The maps were my favorite part... an early storyboarder... and the turban on Indy's head. Nicely drawn.

Owlyross
Rohan

Mar 20 2007, 3:28pm

Post #34 of 48 (129 views)
Shortcut
Excellent [In reply to] Can't Post

I particularly like the scene in the market, with the sword wielding guy...

Totally captures the feel of the film!

And the maps... Here, here, here and to here. CoolWink

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Mar 20 2007, 6:00pm

Post #35 of 48 (145 views)
Shortcut
I saw a French film called Ridicule last week. [In reply to] Can't Post

I so love having the Turner Classic Movies channel.

The movie follows a young man in the 18th Century who come to the court of the King of France. He's trying to get access to the King to convince him to fund an engineering project. He learns that, in this decadent court, wit is prized above all things and ridicule can be deadly. The movie is full of witty dialog. Because it is, as I said, a French film, the fact that even the English subtitles were clever makes me imagine it's even better in its native tongue.

It reminded me a lot of Dangerous Liaisons, except that in Ridicule, the currency of power is wit instead of sex.

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but my TX went off into the Blue to have mad adventures.

(This post was edited by Galadriel on Mar 20 2007, 6:01pm)

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Mar 20 2007, 6:08pm

Post #36 of 48 (138 views)
Shortcut
Those two films reminded me of each other, as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched them on succeeding weekends. There was something similar about the basic decency of the two protagonists working against the corruption of the systems in which they found themselves. I didn't expect either film to have a satisfying ending for me, either, but both did.

I liked The Departed but I liked The Lives of Others more.

I'll have to think more about this, but it's time to go back to work.

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but my TX went off into the Blue to have mad adventures.

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 20 2007, 6:55pm

Post #37 of 48 (123 views)
Shortcut
that's brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Indy-the-rat twirling his gun after shooting the sword guy.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Mar 20 2007, 8:47pm

Post #38 of 48 (132 views)
Shortcut
I love that film! [In reply to] Can't Post

The French really do make some outstanding movies.

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 21 2007, 5:40am

Post #39 of 48 (144 views)
Shortcut
Netflix just sent me "Constant Gardener." [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a big fan of Le Carré's novels -- hope this lives up to my expectations.

Elf Princess of Lorien
Bree

Mar 21 2007, 5:53am

Post #40 of 48 (158 views)
Shortcut
"A Good Year" (=A BAD MOVIE!) and "Catch and Release" again [In reply to] Can't Post

I was insanely disapointed with "A Good Year." Seriously bad movie. I never liked the main character. I thought his secretary was the funniest part of the movie, and the flashbacks between Russell Crowe as Freddie Highpoint and his deceased uncle were annoying. It took me three days to finish the movie because it was so boring, and then I still wanted to turn it off before i finished it. Horrrible.

I saw "Catch and Release" again at the dollar movie. I really enjoyed it, again, and the few questions I had were cleared up by actually seeing the first part of the movie! (I missed the first few minutes or so the first time I saw it.) It's a comedy/drama/romance all in one, and it really at core, I think, is a movie about moving on. And Jennifer Garner is such a great actress — I usually love movies with her in them. She's great. Really liked the soundtrack for this one, too, and already picked it up on Amazon Marketplace.

Otherwise, I've been firmly entrenched in "Grey's Anatomy" season 2. Love it. LOVE IT. Heart

'Mercy!' cried Gandalf.  'If the giving of information is to be the cure of you inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you.  What more do you want to know?'
'The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and Over-heaven and of the Sundering Seas,' laughed Pippin.  'Of course!  What less?'"

Patty
Immortal

Mar 21 2007, 8:06am

Post #41 of 48 (120 views)
Shortcut
This is on my list to watch... [In reply to] Can't Post

after seeing Norton in "The Illusionist" I can't wait to see this.

Welcome to Rivendell, Patty Baggins

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 21 2007, 4:16pm

Post #42 of 48 (135 views)
Shortcut
Second Hand Lions [In reply to] Can't Post

I had heard of this by title only. So when i saw it for sale in walmart for 5 dollars and saw Michael Caine and Robert Duvall i wasn't fooled, and i got this sense that something special was in my hand.
We sat down to watch it and found that we were being pulled into unknown depths and unpredictable directions.
As time passed the heart could reach into each character and feel the humanity that was striving the best it could, and come to understand what is was that appeared on the surface. It came to a yearning and then a joy to see them come to embrace one another with mutual understanding and support in a haven from lifes past hardships. All the while seeing the shallowness of other human life about them.
This is a beautiful movie. It is down to earth without all the sensationalism. It did not need it because of the substance of it all.
Another movie of this quality i feel, is 'Driving Miss Daisy'.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

A little bit of Rivendell to warm the home

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 21 2007, 4:30pm

Post #43 of 48 (119 views)
Shortcut
Once upon a time . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw this movie because it was preceded by a LOTR trailer of one kind or another, I forget which one. They didn't have the trailer as an extra on the DVD did they?

I didn't share your love for the film but some things about the film I found lovely.

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped.

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 21 2007, 6:36pm

Post #44 of 48 (124 views)
Shortcut
One other note. [In reply to] Can't Post

I took affection to the Elessarian way they went out with the time of their choosing...with their boots on lol.
Trying to fly though a barn upside down. For them, i would say it was a final triumph.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

A little bit of Rivendell to warm the home

Scout
Rivendell

Mar 22 2007, 11:51pm

Post #45 of 48 (117 views)
Shortcut
I think you'll like it [In reply to] Can't Post

Just based on some of your other "likes."

Norton is great in Primal Fear, American History X, and Fight Club....all of which are hard to watch in their own ways. Tougher movies. I even liked him in Red Dragon, which was a mediocre flick. Down in the Valley was just okay, IMO. He's intense in it, but I'm not sure it's worth the time.

...and he managed to steal the show in Kingdom of Heaven, while wearing a mask.

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 23 2007, 3:43am

Post #46 of 48 (120 views)
Shortcut
Body Heat [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't been to the movies much in the last few months. I did watch "Body Heat" on televsion however. It is now a bit of an old thriller of yesterday but William Hurt can still act and it was definitely adult but it held up pretty well.

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped.

Tintallë
Gondor

Mar 23 2007, 3:59am

Post #47 of 48 (142 views)
Shortcut
Norton in "Fight Club" - outstanding actor, terrific movie! //NT [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 23 2007, 5:57am

Post #48 of 48 (178 views)
Shortcut
that's when I clued into him [In reply to] Can't Post

and he managed to steal the show in Kingdom of Heaven

He was awesome in that; he was the best thing about KoH. I had no clue while I was watching it who was playing Baldwin and spent the entire movie wondering who could steal a movie from the likes of Jeremy Irons and Liam Neeson without ever showing his face!

He and Hugo Weaving in V for Vendetta made their masks come alive. Now that's acting.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.