The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Merlin or Gandalf the Grey

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Jun 19 2008, 8:23pm

Post #1 of 10 (5304 views)
Shortcut
Merlin or Gandalf the Grey Can't Post

Thanks for the inspiration Dagonet. I chose Gandalf the grey because he seems the closest to how I picture Merlin in the book, and how he's commonly depicted in the various films ect... Which wizard wins, no swords, just magic.

Eglario Valar!
It's me!
It's me!

Woodyend
Gondor

Jun 19 2008, 9:54pm

Post #2 of 10 (1186 views)
Shortcut
I'm going with Gandalf. [In reply to] Can't Post

Why, because his grumpier...or was that Gandalf the white?

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

Dagonet
Lorien

Jun 19 2008, 10:11pm

Post #3 of 10 (1183 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to me like that'd depend on who's portrayal of Merlin you use. Going with common ideas of Merlin, I'm thinking it would be a really awesome battle... what I'd give to watch something like that... anywho, ugh tough choice. I pick Merlin for sake that I'm reading about a female Merlin in a book. She seems weak, but like I said going by common ideas Merlin was a man, and very strong in magic, and ect. ect. ect. Really when you come to really trying to figure it out I think they'd both pretty much end up in a tie.Tongue

Dagonet,
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shdows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2008, 6:36pm

Post #4 of 10 (1236 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Merlin's magic seemed more limited, for starters, although I guess it depends on which version of Merlin you look at. (The Merlin I like best -- from Mary Stewart's Arthurian novels "The Crystal Cave" and "The Hollow Hills" -- is more of a scholar/physician/psychic than a high-voltage wizard.) Also, I can't see Gandalf ever letting himself be entrapped and stripped of his powers by someone like Nimue.

We're discussing the BBC Lord of the Rings Radio Play on the Movie Discussion - LOTR board.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Jun 21 2008, 2:15am

Post #5 of 10 (1256 views)
Shortcut
Merlin, alas! [In reply to] Can't Post

Merlin would win, unless a greater power intervenes, because he wouldn't hesitate to fight dirty, and Gandalf always plays it straight.

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2008, 7:19pm

Post #6 of 10 (1286 views)
Shortcut
Both have long beards, both have pointy hats, both have staffs . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

but Gandalf has pipeweed. Gandalf wins! Wink

"WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN"

Did you ever wish certain moments from LOTR could've made it to the screen? Have you ever imagined what would have happened if all of the original writings from the script actually made it to the films? Well, "What Could Have Been" is the right discussion for you! Starting this summer will be a series of topics about what could have been in "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy". Be on the lookout, and be sure to join in on the fun!

Khaműl of Dol Goldur

Jul 4 2008, 1:33pm

Post #7 of 10 (1211 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer Gandalf because I consider him as somebody more closer of the people.

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2008, 8:29pm

Post #8 of 10 (1431 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf is a divine creature by definition, and one could not say the same thing about Merlin.

Gandalf, presumably, is much more powerful than he lets show...

But Gandalf is, in the end just another iteration of the illustrous Merlin.

I call it a tie.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Gondorian_Ranger
Rivendell

Jul 15 2008, 6:35am

Post #9 of 10 (5156 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm fairly sure one hearty bellow of "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" would send that old pansy Merlin fleeing in the other direction.

"The city of Osgiliath has been reclaimed, FOR GONDOR!"

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 5:38pm

Post #10 of 10 (403 views)
Shortcut
gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.