Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
What is your favorite non-legendarium book by Tolkien?

drogo
Lorien

Mar 19 2007, 2:32am

Views: 251
Shortcut
What is your favorite non-legendarium book by Tolkien? Can't Post

We've had many threads on Tolkien's "other" works, but I thought I'd create a thread to discuss our favorite book by Tolkien that is not set in the imaginary universe of Middle-earth, Beleriand, or, broadly, Arda in general.

For me, it's Farmer Giles because it has all the charm and somewhat lighthearted tone of The Hobbit. but is set in its own universe which is also familiar yet alien. I enjoy the characters and the mock-heroic trappings. As much as Smith encapsulates some of the themes of the lure of/dangers of Faerie and the more mythic elements of Tolkien's legendarium, Giles captures the more "hobbity" side of Tolkien's imagination and his ability to combine humor with legend. The Pauline Baynes illustrations also work so well with the text; I can't imagine the book without her pseudo-medieval images any more than I can imagine Lewis's Narnia without her visual stamp.

What's yours?

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

Subject User Time
What is your favorite non-legendarium book by Tolkien? drogo Send a private message to drogo Mar 19 2007, 2:32am
    On Fairy-Stories Luthien Rising Send a private message to Luthien Rising Mar 19 2007, 3:38am
        Me, too. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 19 2007, 4:09pm
    Leaf By Niggle Finding Frodo Send a private message to Finding Frodo Mar 19 2007, 4:16am
        me, too a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 19 2007, 10:56am
            Leaf by Niggle MsC Send a private message to MsC Mar 20 2007, 2:00am
    giles _V_ Send a private message to _V_ Mar 19 2007, 5:17am
    Smith of Wootton Major. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 19 2007, 6:52am
        This is the one for me also. /nt NZ Strider Send a private message to NZ Strider Mar 19 2007, 6:18pm
    I have to go with Farmer Giles Morwen Send a private message to Morwen Mar 19 2007, 12:53pm
        Giles for me too. Moriel Send a private message to Moriel Mar 19 2007, 4:54pm
        Agree with that, but so hard to choose Penthe Send a private message to Penthe Mar 20 2007, 4:14am
            It is difficult! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Mar 21 2007, 1:16am
    Roverandom Sandicomm Send a private message to Sandicomm Mar 20 2007, 1:35am
    I honestly don't know, but Beren IV Send a private message to Beren IV Mar 22 2007, 4:24am
    Would you count the Bombadil poems? ... Pallando Send a private message to Pallando Mar 23 2007, 11:03pm
        Poems or poem? N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 23 2007, 11:19pm
            Sounds like you're saying the plural... Pallando Send a private message to Pallando Mar 28 2007, 6:57am
    Leaf by Niggle! KmK Send a private message to KmK Apr 16 2007, 5:53pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.