Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
Looking for LotR stuff on eBay can be quite an adventure...

Aerlinn
Lorien

Mar 19 2007, 2:22am

Post #1 of 8 (3044 views)
Shortcut
Looking for LotR stuff on eBay can be quite an adventure... Can't Post

First I found this:
Medela Hobbit Breast Shells 2 per pkg No Reserve

I still don't quite know what they are. And perhaps the less said about them the better.

Then there was The Honda Hobbit... I had no idea! How cute is that?

And just now I found this (attention diedye):
The 12-inch Boromir figure includes:
- Fully articulated male body with 30+ points of articulation

Again, perhaps the less said about ... them ... the better.

Aerlinn's Law #15 (maybe 16... 17?): Whatever I say goes.

In one ear and out the other.

My TORn archives - to be updated sooner or later

drogo
Lorien

Mar 19 2007, 2:45am

Post #2 of 8 (2678 views)
Shortcut
Keyword spamming, anyone? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's amazing how many sellers want to take advantage of LOTR or Hobbits, etc., in listings.

I love the ones that are really bad sketches or paintings that are described as "Tolkien-like" or something. Any time someone lists a decorative sword I see LOTR being invoked in the description.

The outright charlatans trying to sell LOTR crap really get to me, though. The worst I ever saw on Ebay was a Russian guy who was selling his LOTR knock-off story about wizards and elves. He said in fractured English that the story was about a time when the wizards had grown "stupid and fat with Shira's luxury of women and drink" (that phrase is etched in my memory!) but a new evil had appeared, yada yada yada. The manuscript was listed with a Buy It Now price of $1.99, but shipping was $60. That was pulled by Ebay for obvious reasons!

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

(This post was edited by drogo on Mar 19 2007, 2:46am)

Aerlinn
Lorien

Mar 19 2007, 3:01am

Post #3 of 8 (2666 views)
Shortcut
The Honda Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

apparently isn't spamming - it's a nickname for the bike.

The other thing... *averts eyes, shrugs*

There was one brought up on Old TORn that was a lamp of astonishingly poorly done "mosaic" that looked like someone used bits of broken plates. It had LotR references all through the description, and stated that part of the design was the Fellowship leaf, and I think a sword and a gold ring... but if they were there it was sort of like a "where's Waldo", or one of those pictures you have to cross your eyes and squint at to see the image. It looked like the dog's dinner, is what it looked like.

"Shira's luxury"?? Oh, that must be Middle-earth's Tenth
Aerlinn's Law #15 (maybe 16... 17?): Whatever I say goes.

In one ear and out the other.

My TORn archives - to be updated sooner or later

diedye
Grey Havens

Mar 19 2007, 3:09am

Post #4 of 8 (2657 views)
Shortcut
*grumble grumble* Fully articulated, my as... [In reply to] Can't Post

...phalt!

Anatomically lacking is more like it!

*sigh*

Poor Barbie... first they drop Ken... now this....

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 19 2007, 3:39am

Post #5 of 8 (2663 views)
Shortcut
the company apparently has renamed the product [In reply to] Can't Post

...since I can find hits for 'formerly known as 'Hobbit Breast Shields'. However, on it's website, the name is trademarked.

I wonder if they think they hold the trademark or if they claim the Tolkien Estate holds the trademark and by labeling it thusly it absolves them of copyright infringement.

drogo
Lorien

Mar 19 2007, 4:22pm

Post #6 of 8 (2654 views)
Shortcut
Russian knock-offs [In reply to] Can't Post

I take it "Shira" is the Russian approximation of "Shire." Apparently what this guy is doing is not completely illegal, in his home country at least. When I was at Mythcon in Norman, OK last summer I heard an interesting talk by Mark Hooker (who knows Russian, Dutch, etc.) about Russian Hobbit "sequels." The copyright laws there are so loose that publishers have issued several series of subsequent adventures of Bilbo with elements ripped off from Harry Potter and lots of our sources. the illustrations are very funny. Given the nature of the Russian courts, the Tolkien Estate doesn't even bother with litigation.

I got one of his books at the auction and must scan some of the pics for footers!

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 19 2007, 8:51pm

Post #7 of 8 (2651 views)
Shortcut
Hooker's talk was quite good. [In reply to] Can't Post

He presented a lot of the artwork from those Russian stories, and the audience had fun trying to guess what the images showed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Mar. 19-25: Tolkien illustrates The Lord of the Rings

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2007, 11:05pm

Post #8 of 8 (2893 views)
Shortcut
I got a few REALLY good deals last week [In reply to] Can't Post

I won, from the same dealer, Merry and Pippen's helms for $2.00 each, the Sideshow Legolas statue for $35.00, and Eomer's bust for $10.00. If everything were that cheap, i'd have my Sideshow collection complete in no time!

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.