Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
James McAvoy shoots down rumors, but tells us who should play Bilbo.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jun 16 2008, 10:14pm

Post #1 of 23 (2120 views)
Shortcut
James McAvoy shoots down rumors, but tells us who should play Bilbo. Can't Post

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/06/16/james-mcavoy-continues-shooting-down-hobbit-rumors-but-tells-us-who-should-play-bilbo/

Last December, I wrote a casting call article, asking blog readers who they would most like to see step into the hairy feet of Bilbo Baggins in an eventual “Hobbit” film. (Which, at the time, was far from a foregone conclusion.)
“James McAvoy,” user dafydd wrote. “You know it makes sense.”
It does. Or, rather, it did, until McAvoy himself shot down growing rumors that he’d play the heroic Ring Bearer in Guillermo Del Toro’s two new films.
“I’m a huge fan of the Tolkien saga, everything to do with Middle-earth,” he reiterated this weekend to MTV News. “But no there’s no truth in the fact that they’ve approached me yet.”
But that won’t stop McAvoy from playing along with our readers. So who would he cast in the role made famous by Ian Holm?
“Ian Holm!” McAvoy proclaimed as if the answer was self-evident. “I don’t know if he’d be able to go back, but he SHOULD do it.”

Follow the link above for more!

The HUGEST Lord of the Rings fan ever!
Owner of all LOTR merchandise.
In 2011-2012, The Hobbit is going there and back again.
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 16 2008, 10:54pm)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jun 16 2008, 10:22pm

Post #2 of 23 (1291 views)
Shortcut
Very exciting [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope GdT listens to McAvoy and decides to bring Ian back!

Photobucket

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Jun 17 2008, 2:34am

Post #3 of 23 (1267 views)
Shortcut
Age might not matter [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, the age issue might not matter. With all of the tinkering in the studio of every frame, for color and lighting and such, even to details as to how much light or shadow should be around an actor's eyes, it would be a simple thing to soften the wrinkles just a little bit, not to make him look young, simply not old. Then again, Ian Holmes did look darn close to the right age already at the "Long Expected Party"--which was the whole point. He wasn't aging.

(For that matter, I always wondered why they tortured poor John Rhys-Davies with prosthetics that he was allergic to, when they computer-generated an entire body for Andy Serkis.)

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 17 2008, 5:13am

Post #4 of 23 (1265 views)
Shortcut
This is a once-a-week (at least) discussion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Holm is too old. It's not a matter of appearance, it's that he isn't physically up to what will be very active and physically demanding role. GDT has said he will use him somehow, probably as a narrator.

And the fact that McAvoy hasn't been approached yet is meaningless. It's too early. They're barely working on a script; I doubt if they've approached anybody about casting. PJ and GDT say we'll know something by the end of the year.

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 17 2008, 5:23am

Post #5 of 23 (1242 views)
Shortcut
Yep, that became Drinking Game worthy weeks ago. [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, anyway! I got virtually sloshed the FF before last. ;)

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Jun 17 2008, 5:25am)

Sunflower
Valinor

Jun 17 2008, 7:13am

Post #6 of 23 (1217 views)
Shortcut
Can someone invent a "glug* emoticon?:) (NT) [In reply to] Can't Post

debo
Rohan

Jun 17 2008, 7:18am

Post #7 of 23 (1213 views)
Shortcut
How about %%%%%? THinking beer bubbles, or [In reply to] Can't Post

<0> ?

Frodo; "What I chiefly need now is courage . . ."

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jun 17 2008, 2:15pm

Post #8 of 23 (1211 views)
Shortcut
I bow to James McAvoy. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope someone listens to him.
Bilbo IS Sir Ian Holm.
Every effort should be made at bringing him back.

Zmulady
Rohan

Jun 17 2008, 5:17pm

Post #9 of 23 (1168 views)
Shortcut
everyone ages differently [In reply to] Can't Post

I work with some pretty active seniors and so who knows if Ian could be up for it. I'm still hoping for Ian anyway.

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Jun 17 2008, 9:01pm

Post #10 of 23 (1194 views)
Shortcut
Ian Holm CAN NOT. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's just a fact. He even said it himself. Not only does he look older, but he's feeling it too and he simply doesn't have the physcial ability to do something as active as The Hobbit. I wish as much as anyone that he would do it, but the fact is that he won't. The best we can hope for is that he will narrate, which is a fantastic idea. Now can we please DROP THIS SUBJECT??????

"I like cooking, but I like other people cooking more." -David Wenham

"I think being different, going against the grain of society, is the greatest thing in the world." -Elijah Wood.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jun 17 2008, 9:46pm

Post #11 of 23 (1176 views)
Shortcut
No, we CAN NOT. [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as they won't officiallly say that Ian Holm will not play Bilbo, I will support this idea: Bilbo must be played by Ian Holm, and nobody else.
I'm sorry.

merklynn
Lorien

Jun 17 2008, 11:44pm

Post #12 of 23 (1133 views)
Shortcut
I just ran out of beer, there is another thread about Holm as Bilbo now! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in the Times Online, they're sensationalists who haven't a clue about real reporting." - Buddha after reading the Times coverage of the Tolkien lawsuit

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 18 2008, 12:38am

Post #13 of 23 (1165 views)
Shortcut
What they've said so far: [In reply to] Can't Post

[reply]As long as they won't officiallly say that Ian Holm will not play Bilbo, I will support this idea: Bilbo must be played by Ian Holm, and nobody else. I'm sorry.[/reply]

From the TORn on-line chat:

[quote] [b]Which of the actors from LOTR will be back to reprise their roles in The Hobbit and its companion film?[/b]

GDT: Obviously, at this stage, the second film is still being figured out-so the actors that have been approached may or not have appeared in the HOBBIT as a literary work but still may appear in the second film as it “blends” into the Trilogy and expands. Therefore what can be said is: Unequivocally, every single actor that originated a role in the Trilogy will be asked to participate and reprise it. If Health, availability or willingness become obstacles – and only in that case recasting would be considered.[/quote]

Holm himself has said that he cannot do Bilbo, but from the above quote I think it's fair to assume he'll be involved as a narrator or in some way.

Christopher Lee has expressed interest in participating, but has also said he no longer wishes to travel outside England. If the part of Saruman isn't terribly large, they could send a unit to England for him, though.

Holm and Lee have had long and distinguished careers, and IMO they should be allowed to retire to whatever extent they wish.

People are sounding like spoiled kids: "But I WANT Holm to be Bilbo!" Very selfish and unrealistic.

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jun 18 2008, 12:40am)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jun 18 2008, 12:55am

Post #14 of 23 (1148 views)
Shortcut
Look what I started! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wanted people to see what McAvoy said about playing Bilbo, not a Bilbo Flame War!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 18 2008, 1:01am

Post #15 of 23 (1148 views)
Shortcut
Mmmm, Hobbit flambe. [In reply to] Can't Post

Might be a bit of an acquired taste.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

maut
Rivendell

Jun 18 2008, 7:30am

Post #16 of 23 (1137 views)
Shortcut
WOW [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
\
&#8220;Ian Holm!&#8221; McAvoy proclaimed as if the answer was self-evident. &#8220;I don&#8217;t know if he&#8217;d be able to go back, but he SHOULD do it.&#8221;

OMG , he says exactly the thing I want to here.. If only mr. Del Toro could hear...

One Ring to rule them all,
one Ring to find them,
oneRing to bring them all,
and in darkness bind them!

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Jun 18 2008, 5:33pm

Post #17 of 23 (1135 views)
Shortcut
This is just getting silly... [In reply to] Can't Post

People, GET IT INTO YOUR HEADS. Ian Holm WONT play Bilbo!!!! GAWD, can we please waste our energy on something slightly more important now??? This story is DONE.

"I think being different, going against the grain of society, is the greatest thing in the world." -Elijah Wood.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 18 2008, 5:47pm

Post #18 of 23 (1132 views)
Shortcut
*Hands Finduilas a paper bag to breath into* [In reply to] Can't Post

It helps prevent hyperventalating. Laugh

Finduilas, dear, it's nothing to get so upset about. This isn't the first thread about Ian Holm as Bilbo and I guarantee it won't be the last. You'll find that many, *many* subjects are repeated here. As long as multiple threads aren't overly repetitive (to the point of spamming), and there isn't already a thread on the same topic on page one of a board, everyone is encouraged to discuss topics as often as they wish. And, until the role of Bilbo is cast, any and all speculation is welcome. It's what the message boards are for!

If a topic gets under your skin, the best thing to do is avoid it. Don't even read threads that talk about Ian Holm as Bilbo. But above all, there's no need to yell at those who want to. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Jun 18 2008, 5:53pm

Post #19 of 23 (1123 views)
Shortcut
Grrrr.... [In reply to] Can't Post

*takes paper bag* Blah. You're right.

Normally I'm not this grumpy. Hmm...I think I need a cookie. *leaves to get cookie*

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 18 2008, 5:58pm

Post #20 of 23 (1079 views)
Shortcut
*passes bottle* Here, have a virtual glug! ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jun 19 2008, 7:14am

Post #21 of 23 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Here dear these might help ;-D [In reply to] Can't Post

*hugs* Kel x

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay
Kelvarhin's Universe
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play (with thanks to grammaboodawg :) )

Annael
Immortal

Jun 19 2008, 3:26pm

Post #22 of 23 (1044 views)
Shortcut
It's time I started handing out s'mores again, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd forgotten that tradition, and it was mine! When the flames start up, toast marshmallows!

Our similarities bring us to a common ground; our differences allow us to be fascinated by each other.
- Tom Robbins
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Patty
Immortal

Jun 19 2008, 5:35pm

Post #23 of 23 (1079 views)
Shortcut
That won't do I'm afraid, Annael.... [In reply to] Can't Post

there just isn't enough chocolate on those.Sly

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.