Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some BS! Finding our way :)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 18 2007, 1:46pm

Post #1 of 15 (2186 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! Finding our way :) Can't Post

I feel like Pippin picking my way through the level and streets of Minas Tirith... or Frodo exploring Rivendell! So here's a Book Spoiler that follows Frodo as he joins his friends... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Many Meetings: The Fellowship of the Ring

"...there was a knock on the door, and Sam came in. He ran to Frodo and took the left hand, awkwardly and shyly. He stroked it gently and then he blushed and turned hastily away.
'Hullo, Sam!' said Frodo.
'It's warm!' said Sam. 'Meaning your hand, Mr. Frodo. It has felt so cold through the long nights. But glory and trumpets!' he cried, turning round again with shining eyes and dancing on the floor. 'It's fine to see you up and yourself again, sir! Gandalf asked me to come and see if you were ready to come down, and I thought he was joking.'
'I am ready,' said Frodo. 'Let's go and look for the rest of the party!'
'I can take you to them, sir,' said Sam. 'It's a big house this, and very peculiar. Always a bit more to discover, and no knowing what you'll find around a corner. And Elves, sir! Elves here, and Elves there! Some like kings, terrible and splendid; and some as merry as children. And the music and the singing--not that I have had the time or the heart for much listening since we got here. But I'm getting to know some of the ways of the place.'
'I know what you have been doing, Sam,' said Frodo, taking his arm. 'But you shall be merry tonight, and listen to your heart's content. Come on, guide me round the corners!'
Sam led him along several passages and down many steps and out into a high garden above the steep bank of the river. He found his friends sitting in a porch on the side of the house looking east. Shadows had fallen in the valley below, but there was still a light on the faces of the mountains far above. The air was warm. The sound of running and falling water was loud, and the evening was filled with a faint scent of trees and flowers, as if summer still lingered in Elrond's gardens.
'Hurray!' cried Pippin, springing up. 'Here is our noble cousin! Make way for Frodo, Lord of the Ring!'
'Hush!' said Gandalf from the shadows at the back of the porch. 'Evil things do not come into this valley; but all the same we should not name them. The Lord of the Ring is not Frodo, but the master of the Dark Tower of Mordor whose power is again stretching out over the world! We are sitting in a fortress. Outside it is getting dark.'
'Gandalf has been saying many cheerful things like that,' said Pippin. 'He thinks I need keeping in order. But it seems impossible, somehow, to feel gloomy or depressed in this place. I feel I could sing, if I knew the right song for the occasion.'"

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 2:13pm

Post #2 of 15 (1829 views)
Shortcut
Great way to christen the new boards - perfect BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo coming "home" to Rivendell after a long journey. It's a wonderful place, all shiny and new, but there's still something drawing us back to our real "home". Like Frodo, we can't really go back to our old home, but the new one is just fine.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Feb 18 2007, 4:44pm

Post #3 of 15 (1827 views)
Shortcut
Great selection! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially this: "It's a big house this, and very peculiar. Always a bit more to discover, and no knowing what you'll find around a corner. . . . But I'm getting to know some of the ways of the place."

Thanks, as always, Gramma!

"I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance of it." --Gandalf

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 18 2007, 5:33pm

Post #4 of 15 (1819 views)
Shortcut
Perfect, gramma! Thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I'm off to find those elves. Wink

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 5:53pm

Post #5 of 15 (1815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grammaboodawg] Over the river and through the woods... [In reply to] Can't Post

to Gramma's post we go. Now it feels like home! Thanks, great selection!

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 6:20pm

Post #6 of 15 (1798 views)
Shortcut
Perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

A perfect entry for a new place. I love Pippin's comments about Gandalf's dark thoughts. Ah, but the BS really makes this feel like home *g*

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ciars
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 6:58pm

Post #7 of 15 (1798 views)
Shortcut
So appropriate! [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel just like the hobbits, glad to be here but a bit awed by the newness and strangeness of the place. The bs post however made me smile - its good to know that the familiar posts are here AND even better that Im beginning to gather my courage and replying! Heart

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 18 2007, 8:16pm

Post #8 of 15 (1800 views)
Shortcut
Re:..But there was still a light [In reply to] Can't Post

on the faces of the mountains far above. The air was warm...sound of running water...scent of trees and flowers.
The sense of vertical space, new found, must have left them ever-reaching to comprehend what seemed to be limitless.
After the tumult (and ours) they/we can gather and dwell within a place of peace and of joy and let the growing familiarity bring comfort..
And after a bit, enjoy the golden firelight dancing and shimmering at the Hall of Fire with all about.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 8:20pm

Post #9 of 15 (1802 views)
Shortcut
Well, most, and maybe all, of us are "merry as children"... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hm, "some like kings, terrible and splendid": would those be our Admins? Wink

Wonderful analogy, a perfect "christening" for the new boards! We're all like Hobbits arriving in Rivendell, there's so much to discover and to do, and of course there's always Elves when you want them. Laugh

Thank goodness we didn't have to face any Black Riders to get here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road, or a secret gate...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 8:23pm

Post #10 of 15 (1793 views)
Shortcut
Lovely! You put the lily in your footer! [In reply to] Can't Post

Uh - "signature", that is; I'll be using the "old language" for a bit, I think!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 8:24pm

Post #11 of 15 (1785 views)
Shortcut
Eek! Your avatar! (nt) [In reply to] Can't Post

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 18 2007, 8:42pm

Post #12 of 15 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Re: I dunno, Rivendell magic, the lilly just popped in there. [In reply to] Can't Post

With a littlelot of help from the elf maiden AerlinnSmile.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 18 2007, 10:14pm

Post #13 of 15 (1807 views)
Shortcut
After wandering around [In reply to] Can't Post

for about TWO HOURS last night... I had this feeling of being a hobbit wandering around someplace foreign and huge! I just couldn't shake the image of Sam finding his way around... I'm sure all the while he was planning to be prepared to help his master WHEN he awoke!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 2:55am

Post #14 of 15 (1780 views)
Shortcut
Glory and trumpets! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's fine to see you up and around, sir...er...ma'am. Thanks for the BS, gramma!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Patty
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 7:04am

Post #15 of 15 (1840 views)
Shortcut
This is one of my favorite chapters in the Trilogy... [In reply to] Can't Post

if not my favorite.

I love Rivendell and the elves--most of all of Tolkien. Plus, I'm overjoyed that Frodo gets reunited with Bilbo here.Heart

Lord Peter Wimsey's Main Squeeze

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.