Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Let the Dragon Fest begin!

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2008, 4:04am

Post #1 of 10 (726 views)
Shortcut
Let the Dragon Fest begin! Can't Post

With the announcement of The Hobbit, Hollywood is bound to start a new wave of dragon movies, as has been suggested before, by gramma, I believe. Well, Universal has taken the first step towards this, acquiring the movie rights to the Dragonology series.

The faux nonfiction books by Dugald A. Steer are based on the conceit that dragons actually exist as revealed by the Victorian dragonologist Ernest Drake. An underlying theme is that dragons should be studied and revered in the same way as any rare species.

The movie reportedly "revolves around a group of dragonologists who go on a globetrotting quest to keep a corrupt man from taking control of the world's dragons and using them to wipe out humanity."

I haven't read the actual stories derived from the series, but the Complete Book of Dragons is a brilliant work, beautifully illustrated and nicely researched.

I don't know how the movie will turn out, but I like the book series. We'll have to wait and see.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

ArathornJax
Lorien

Jun 14 2008, 4:24am

Post #2 of 10 (386 views)
Shortcut
The dragon fest may begin [In reply to] Can't Post

but for me, just because they jump on the bandwagon doesn't mean I'll go. They have to put forth a good product or I'll wait for the DVD. I find that I only go to the movies now for certain shoes, but we watch far more DVD's at home. Guess I'm just cheap.

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Huan71
Lorien

Jun 14 2008, 6:55am

Post #3 of 10 (344 views)
Shortcut
I'm even worse than you... [In reply to] Can't Post

because, not only do i rarely visit the cinema (maybe 3 x in a year...), not only do i wait for the DVD, but i wait for the dirt cheep special offer.....at Tesco's (more often than not!) or even REALLY cheep unwanted ex-loan discs from my local Library!!!
Oh, the life of a low paid manual worker is a sorry one!! lol

To get back on topic...
How many of the predicted glut of Dragon movies will be of the quality that TH will no doubt be ?
Or, to ask the question another way...
How many good ones have already been made???

Not a good track record is it?

"Only the guilty dream"... oh dear, i'm DOOMED!!

kareniel
Lorien

Jun 14 2008, 10:59am

Post #4 of 10 (336 views)
Shortcut
And don't forget the Temeraire trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

by Naomi Novik. I think PJ acquired the film rights to that series some time ago. I read about it right here on Torn.

(This post was edited by kareniel on Jun 14 2008, 11:02am)

Artanis
Rohan

Jun 14 2008, 7:42pm

Post #5 of 10 (311 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

sounds just like me and my husband Laugh. The last time we went to the cinema was for Star Wars a couple of years ago, and we will be going again when Prince Caspian (finally) comes on the cinemas here. So any "dragon" movies we get will be from the "bargain basket" too.

On a different note we have seen Eragon and Dragon heart in HD sort of cheap on a few websites - anybody know if they are they any good?

Artanis

Reading: Unfinished Tales -Tolkien, The Princess and Curdie - G. Macdonald, Father Brown Selected Stories - G.K. Chesterton

Listening: LOTR Trilogy Soundrack, Downhere-Wide Eyed and Mystified. Crowded House - Wood Face.

Random Delights: tea, Salad sandwich with lashings of salad creme! TORn

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2008, 8:53pm

Post #6 of 10 (307 views)
Shortcut
About the fest... [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand what you all say... I will certainly not attend to EVERY dragon movie that comes out between now and 2012, however, Dragonology might merit watching in a theatre, just because I like the books. Wink

Dragon Heart is a pretty good movie... not Lord of the Rings, but certainly worth watching! Sean Connery as the dragon is a good thing.

Eragon... please don't. A terrible movie, in my opinion.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Huan71
Lorien

Jun 14 2008, 9:12pm

Post #7 of 10 (304 views)
Shortcut
Dragon Heart.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yer, i agree about dragon heart. I saw it on TV a while back and was pleasantly surprised.
Shocked
Not brilliant but a pretty good film none the less!

"Only the guilty dream"... oh dear, i'm DOOMED!!

ArathornJax
Lorien

Jun 15 2008, 12:27am

Post #8 of 10 (299 views)
Shortcut
Own Dragonheart 1 and 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

on DVD, and they are good as DVD, rentals or seen on TV. The kids have watched them a lot before they got to be "cool" teenagers.

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 15 2008, 1:51am

Post #9 of 10 (330 views)
Shortcut
Dove Isabeau [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was working in the public schools, I was charged with reading picture books to 1st and 2nd graders. It was an inner city school and many of the students suffered from what we called, "Poverty of Language". They didn't have a large vocabulary and often hadn't even been exposed to many concepts or material things we take for granted.

Being the obsessive person I am, I almost immediately started sorting books into themes and one of these themes was 'Dragons'. Among the books I read was Jane Yolen's Dove Isabeau. Jane Yolen is one of my favorite picture book authors (she's done books for older children too) and this is one of my favorite books ever. I could only read it to the most sophisticated of the 2nd graders since you had to figure out what was going on (as opposed to having it all laid out for you like some books, mostly poorly written, do). And it dealt with death and cruelty. But it is Jane at her best, IMO.

I don't think children's pictures books get the credit they're due, sometimes. The story has to be told so much more succinctly than long winded novels can get. And they have to be approachable and understandable by young minds. But when they're done well, they're better than half the adult novels I've read. It would be interesting to consider this book made into a movie.

Jane Yolen's Dove Isabeau.

The dragon from Dove Isabeau, illustrated by Dennis Nolan.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website

Artanis
Rohan

Jun 15 2008, 7:30pm

Post #10 of 10 (306 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Compa, Huan, and Arathornjax for the tips about those films Smile, off to amazon now to do some bargain hunting!

Artanis

Reading: Unfinished Tales -Tolkien, The Princess and Curdie - G. Macdonald, Father Brown Selected Stories - G.K. Chesterton

Listening: LOTR Trilogy Soundrack, Downhere-Wide Eyed and Mystified. Crowded House - Wood Face.

Random Delights: tea, Salad sandwich with lashings of salad creme! TORn

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.