The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Is Frodo really Tolkien?

jerriwillmore
The Shire

Jun 13 2008, 9:19pm

Post #1 of 10 (4806 views)
Shortcut
Is Frodo really Tolkien? Can't Post

I am guessing my favorite character was based on the great professor. Both were orphaned as children, Tolkien's mom made him wear curly hair and he and his brother Hilary stole mushrooms from farmer's fields and once were beaten for it....sound familiar?

Comments? Smile

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 14 2008, 5:30am)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 13 2008, 9:36pm

Post #2 of 10 (4545 views)
Shortcut
Well. [In reply to] Can't Post

The four members of the Tea Club and Barrovian Society (TCBS) seem to mirror the four hobbits. The history of Sam's family name seems to definitely point towards Christopher Wiseman. (And Christiopher Tolkien was named after him.)

Then again, the obstacles in the love story of Aragorn and Arwen seem to mirror those that bedeviled Tolkiien and Edith.

But on the other hand Tolkien called Edith his Luthien.

But on the other other hand Arwen was Luthien reborn.

So Frodo, Aragorn, Beren, or somebody else. Take your pick.

But Tolkien said in his letters that he was a hobbit, so yeah, maybe Frodo.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

mwirkk
Rohan

Jun 13 2008, 10:13pm

Post #3 of 10 (4528 views)
Shortcut
I think I see bits of JRR and his life experience scattered all around. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always suspected I was seeing allot of Tolkien in Bilbo as well.

The Black Knight Always Triumphs!!

-mwirkk :)

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Jun 14 2008, 12:02am

Post #4 of 10 (4519 views)
Shortcut
I thought he was more of Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though Frodo wasn't as directly involved in "the great war" as other characters in LOTR.

Certainly, Tolkien's appreciation of the countryside and his dislike of "the machines" mattered quite a bit in parts of LOTR.

The Road News and Rumors
http://www.theroadrumors.com

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2008, 12:26am

Post #5 of 10 (4521 views)
Shortcut
I think Sam is Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam goes off to war, experiences dreadful things, comes back home, marries his sweetheart, has a family, and lives a successful life. So does Tolkien.

We're discussing the BBC Lotrd of the Rings Radio Play on the Movie Discussion - LOTR board.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 14 2008, 1:14am

Post #6 of 10 (4509 views)
Shortcut
But on the other hand... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo's worry about finishing his book is very much Tolkien. As is all hobbits' love of pipeweed and beer.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Sunflower
Valinor

Jun 14 2008, 2:23am

Post #7 of 10 (4530 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't Tolkien write somewhere that his alter ego was Faramir, the soldier-scholar who was not tempted by the ring. Or rather Faramir was who he wished he could be. (Waits for Brigand to supply exact quotes....Wink)

BTW, welcome Jerri, if I have not said it before!

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Jun 14 2008, 2:23am)

a.s.
Valinor

Jun 15 2008, 2:02pm

Post #8 of 10 (4499 views)
Shortcut
Y, a.s. can get that quote for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

When NEB is too busy. LOL.

In a footnote to letter 180, Tolkien writes:

"I am not Gandalf, being a transcendent Sub-creator in this little world. As far as any character is 'like me' it is Faramir--except that I lack what all my characters possess (let the psychoanalysts note!) Courage."

I don't think Frodo is any kind of alter-ego for Tolkien; I think Frodo is meant to be "everyman", every ordinary mortal ever called to bitter sacrifice in usually unknown and unsung ways.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

"I suppose you are real?" said the Rabbit. And then he wished he had not said it, for he thought the Skin Horse might be sensitive.

But the Skin Horse only smiled.

Marionette
Rohan

Jun 15 2008, 3:52pm

Post #9 of 10 (4481 views)
Shortcut
Beren and Faramir [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, in his grave he´s named as Beren, so his wife was Luthien. As far as I have read Beren and Luthien love story was inspired by Tolkien´s love story with his wife.
I think he was really related with Beren, more than a hobbit.
But John Tolkien also felt he was a hobbit. That´s what I have read.

And John Tolkien also said , in one of his letters, he was Faramir too. Or that he felt very related with Faramir more than other LOTR characters.
Well, people has already said all this, so:::

Tolkien would be Beren and Faramir.

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"

(This post was edited by Masquerade_Górtari on Jun 15 2008, 3:56pm)

Curious
Half-elven

Jun 15 2008, 8:08pm

Post #10 of 10 (4800 views)
Shortcut
What did Tolkien mean by this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why is he like Faramir, and not like his other characters? Perhaps Tolkien identified with Faramir's attitude towards war:

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Númenor; and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise.

There's also the fact that Tolkien bequeathed Faramir his own recurring dream of a Great Wave, as related in the same Letter 180 in which Tolkien identifies with Faramir:

For when Faramir speaks of his private vision of the Great Wave, he speaks for me. That vision and dream has been ever with me — and has been inherited (as I only discovered recently) by one of my children, Michael.

Perhaps also Tolkien did not think of himself as an adventurer. Faramir may have gone to war, but he did not venture far from home to do so. Aragorn and Gandalf wandered the world, and even the hobbits wandered far more than Faramir.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.