Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Sauron vs. Darth Vader

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 13 2008, 6:43pm

Post #1 of 18 (4937 views)
Shortcut
Sauron vs. Darth Vader Can't Post

Each is given a world approximately the same size and with the proper level of technology (ie. Vader fights against lightsabers and blaster, Sauron against swords and arrows.) Neither has an army to start with. Who could conquer and hold their world the fastest?

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
Screencap of the Day Schedule for June

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 13 2008, 9:26pm

Post #2 of 18 (1744 views)
Shortcut
Sauron. [In reply to] Can't Post

The real contest is between Morgoth vs. Palpatine.

Morgoth has it all over Palpatine, so I'll go with Morgoth, and thus Sauron.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2008, 1:35am

Post #3 of 18 (1734 views)
Shortcut
Sauron, no question about it [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron's far more powerful than Vader, even without the One Ring. He's got a decided knack for winning minions and terrifying people.

We're discussing the BBC Lotrd of the Rings Radio Play on the Movie Discussion - LOTR board.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

vtboyarc
Lorien

Jun 14 2008, 2:09am

Post #4 of 18 (2247 views)
Shortcut
Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

Vader is, or at least was, once a regular person. Sauron is a maiar, which is basically super human. He would win

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and its worth fighting for.

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Jun 17 2008, 6:21pm

Post #5 of 18 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Eglario Valar!
It's me!
It's me!

Dagonet
Lorien

Jun 18 2008, 5:47pm

Post #6 of 18 (1567 views)
Shortcut
Sauron. [In reply to] Can't Post

Darth Vader is a wuss! ... oka-a-a-ay.. apologies for the outburst, but Sauron has a lot more going for him than Mr.Vader.

Dagonet,
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shdows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Woodyend
Gondor

Jun 19 2008, 10:02pm

Post #7 of 18 (1567 views)
Shortcut
I think Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

would turn Vader into of his minions.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jun 20 2008, 12:08am

Post #8 of 18 (1614 views)
Shortcut
Vader definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

How would Sauron win against a lightsaber? Vader will cut Sauron's mace in half, then kill him. Duh!

The HUGEST Lord of the Rings fan ever!
Owner of all LOTR merchandise.
In 2011-2012, The Hobbit is going there and back again.
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Woodyend
Gondor

Jun 20 2008, 12:40am

Post #9 of 18 (1622 views)
Shortcut
I don't remember Sauron having a mace. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well one just has a light saber, and the other one has a magic ring. Plus a light saber is no weapon against a giant eye.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 20 2008, 9:19am

Post #10 of 18 (1672 views)
Shortcut
He certainly did in the movies [In reply to] Can't Post

But you would need to ask someone else about book Sauron.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jun 20 2008, 3:32pm

Post #11 of 18 (1603 views)
Shortcut
Vader can Force choke though ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Vader could just Force choke Sauron (not Eye Sauron).

I would laugh my heart out seeing Sauron struggling for air! Vader would triumph!!!11!!1!!1

The HUGEST Lord of the Rings fan ever!
Owner of all LOTR merchandise.
In 2011-2012, The Hobbit is going there and back again.
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Woodyend
Gondor

Jun 20 2008, 3:47pm

Post #12 of 18 (1675 views)
Shortcut
You are so right, I had forgotten about that in the prolog. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was also the weapon of choice of the Witch King as well.

~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Jun 20 2008, 11:06pm

Post #13 of 18 (1585 views)
Shortcut
Sauron wins hands-down [In reply to] Can't Post

Who can contend with a Maia?

Saruman, Gandalf the Grey rides to Isenguard...NO LONGER SEEKING YOUR COUNCIL!!!

Elros
Rivendell

Jun 28 2008, 4:49pm

Post #14 of 18 (1603 views)
Shortcut

In your scenario, where both figures need to round up an army and conquer, Sauron has already demonstrated an ability to do just such a thing many times. Vader merely served as enforcer and leader of Palpatine's army. If it came down to Sauron and Vader squaring off maio y machino, I think Vader wins easily. Remember, Sauron is beaten every instance he personally has to fight.

Also, I know that Maiar are spirits and seem almost godly spirits, but do they really have anymore power than a Jedi? All the Valar, save Melkor, had only limited power over one aspect of Arda, whereas Jedi have control over the force, which penetrates everything. I would even venture to say that the only Vala capable of defeating a powerful Jedi/Sith is Melkor for this reason. Individually, a Vala isn't as powerful within his or her respective world as a Jedi is within theirs.

laughing1blue6dolphin
The Shire

Jul 10 2008, 4:24pm

Post #15 of 18 (1625 views)
Shortcut
right on [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkCoolSmile

[:-)]music hath power to calm the savage beast[:-)]

Gondorian_Ranger
Rivendell

Jul 15 2008, 7:02am

Post #16 of 18 (1585 views)
Shortcut

It's going to be Sauron and his ceaseless malice and evil. There are many ways he could mess with Vader's head, I think....well, if Luke can do it...

"The city of Osgiliath has been reclaimed, FOR GONDOR!"

Hyarmendacil
The Shire

Oct 21 2008, 1:10am

Post #17 of 18 (4748 views)
Shortcut
Good question [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Each is given a world approximately the same size and with the proper level of technology (ie. Vader fights against lightsabers and blaster, Sauron against swords and arrows.) Neither has an army to start with. Who could conquer and hold their world the fastest?

At first it seemed obvious, Sauron was a god, whereas Vader was a man. But then I looked at the question more closely and saw that it was not a duel, but a comparison of what the two evil lords actually accomplished within their own milieus.

Sauron led the conquest of most of his world. Vader was the junior partner in a similar conquest. Point to Sauron.

Vader destroyed most of the Jedi, their strongest opponents. Sauron failed to take out the chief Eldar, nor did he get their rings. Point to Vader

Sauron was a wise military commander. He made no obvious mistakes. Vader twice concentrated his power in a vulnerable Death Star. Point to Sauron

I give the nod to Sauron.

(This post was edited by Hyarmendacil on Oct 21 2008, 1:20am)

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 5:39pm

Post #18 of 18 (837 views)
Shortcut
darth [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.