Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Possible lahar on Mr Ruapehu/Mt Doom

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 18 2007, 1:08am

Post #1 of 15 (338 views)
Shortcut
Possible lahar on Mr Ruapehu/Mt Doom Can't Post

Radio news has just reported that the expected lahar on Mt Ruapehu (where the Mt Doom scenes were filmed) might have occurred half an hour ago. Warning systems around the mountain have been triggered and the Department of Conservation is trying to confirm the event - made difficult by bad weather obstructing views. As a precaution, roads around the mountain have been closed.

FYI, Eledhwen, Shuya and djdeathskiss (who all planned to do the Tongariro Crossing in this past week) are all safely away from this area.

News from stuff.co.nz: http://www.stuff.co.nz/3997143a10.html

There's nothing on NZ's geonet yet: http://www.geonet.org.nz/

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Revie
Rivendell

Mar 18 2007, 3:00am

Post #2 of 15 (173 views)
Shortcut
lahar = volcanic mudslide? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a little shaky on my terminology, is that the correct definition of lahar?

I didn't know this was expected to happen. Would this have been caused by heavy rains, or by an earthquake, Ataahua?

I hope everyone is safely away from the danger zone!

FKA: Arevanye

Dymer's Dream: A Graphics Journal

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 18 2007, 4:51am

Post #3 of 15 (145 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not caused by an external thing - it's all to do with Ruapehu, which erupts fairly regularly anyway apparently. They've been monitoring the Crater Lake for a few months as its level was rising. When it hits the edge, boom, there's your lahar. My family and I spent Thursday in the visitors' centre at Whakapapa below Ruapehu instead of doing the Tongariro Crossing because the weather was so bad, hence my useful knowledge of volcanoes!

I'll put something here shortly ...

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 18 2007, 6:31am

Post #4 of 15 (163 views)
Shortcut
The pictures on TV [In reply to] Can't Post

were awesome. TV3 had a helicopter in front of the lahar and we saw it overwhelm a bridge and road, a campground and (ironically) the Tangiwai Memorial, where a lahar about 50 years ago wiped out the Tangiwai Bridge right before a train came along and crashed into the river, killing many passengers.

DOC and the Government are happy because the disaster plan worked, in that the lahar travelled down the river and out to sea without loss of life.

Apparently lahars are relatively regular from Ruapehu, but I think the last eruptions caused a higher dam wall which meant there was a greater volume of ash and water built up for this latest event. It was quite frightening to see that huge volume coming down the river system.

DOC will be inspecting the crater lake tomorrow to see what has happened up there and whether any more water is likely to come down the mountain anytime soon.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 18 2007, 3:15pm

Post #5 of 15 (129 views)
Shortcut
found an article with a pic [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/3997152a6004.html

Impressive. Reminds me of Mount St. Helens here.

Only a real man would dare do his morning power walk in a puffy shirt.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Mar 18 2007, 7:00pm

Post #6 of 15 (118 views)
Shortcut
So how close is Deej to this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quite a week to be in New Zeland!

Hope all is well.

Boycott New Line!
http://www.boycottnewline.com

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 18 2007, 7:06pm

Post #7 of 15 (133 views)
Shortcut
Last I heard [In reply to] Can't Post

she was in Wellington.

Ataahua's stories

deej
Tol Eressea

Mar 18 2007, 9:45pm

Post #8 of 15 (140 views)
Shortcut
&^%$#!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep - we have both in Wellington (technically Lower Hutt) since Saturday. Shuya just saw the news about this today. Yes, we were planning to do the hike on Friday, but because of the bad weather we couldn't so we decided to drive down to see the Pinnacles instead. Thank you lousy weather!

*gulp*

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

(This post was edited by deej on Mar 18 2007, 9:46pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 18 2007, 10:34pm

Post #9 of 15 (150 views)
Shortcut
The lousy weather that stopped your hike [In reply to] Can't Post

was possibly also the tipping point for the crater lake's tephra dam.

The lahar had to go sometime. At least it went when people were least likely to be out and about on the river (due to the heavy rain).

Ataahua's stories

Magrat
The Shire

Mar 19 2007, 12:32am

Post #10 of 15 (105 views)
Shortcut
Yikes [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you guys weren't in the area!

In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded. - Terry Pratchett

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 19 2007, 1:09am

Post #11 of 15 (102 views)
Shortcut
Strange it would be 1 week before the story's eruption [In reply to] Can't Post

when the Ring is destroyed.

Thank Goodness deej, Shuya and all are safe. Fate has been kind.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 19 2007, 3:22am

Post #12 of 15 (109 views)
Shortcut
Good news from a mountain management point of view: [In reply to] Can't Post

Mt Ruapehu's crater lake has returned to its pre-1995 level after the dam holding back the acidic waters washed away yesterday and a lahar flowed down the mountainside.
The Department of Conservation (DOC) said the new level of the crater lake was 2529.4 metres above sea level, with the 40-metre breach in the dam washing down to hard rock.
DOC senior conservation officer Dave Wakelin said DOC staff had been up to the crater and the tephra dam Ė loosely compacted ash, scoria and pumice Ė had washed down to rock on the crater's rim.
"It's great news from our point of view,' he said.
"Now we have a crater lake back to what it was pre-1995. It's flowing down its natural outlet, rather than building up behind the dam."

Full story and pic: http://www.stuff.co.nz/3998184a10.html

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

Mar 19 2007, 3:41pm

Post #13 of 15 (92 views)
Shortcut
Scarey. [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad all my TORNsibs are safe, but since for some it may be a once in a life time trip I'm sorry it may keep them from doing the touristy thing they may have wanted to do.

Welcome to Rivendell, Patty Baggins

Revie
Rivendell

Mar 19 2007, 11:50pm

Post #14 of 15 (76 views)
Shortcut
YouTube footage [In reply to] Can't Post

Some footage taken 20 minutes after the main event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB4kEriRo3U

Even more dramatic shots via helicopter:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/videoplayer/99903a15455.html

Pretty amazing!

FKA: Arevanye

Dymer's Dream: A Graphics Journal

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20 2007, 1:57am

Post #15 of 15 (147 views)
Shortcut
That was the weather, not the lahar [In reply to] Can't Post

I was supposed to do the Tongariro Crossing on Thursday with my family, and Shuya and DJ were planning on doing it on Friday. But when we arrived in the village that is the usual base for the crossing on Wednesday it was raining, cloudy and VERY windy. Winds were getting up above 100kph on the top, which is way too windy for walking. And visibility was nil. It didn't improve at all, and that was why we had to cancel.

I'll put something here shortly ...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.