The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Screencap of the Day-- The Flooding Of Isengard

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jun 11 2008, 4:22am

Post #1 of 17 (1297 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day-- The Flooding Of Isengard Can't Post

Hello again everyone! Doing my SCOD early again, since I got school in the morning. No school Friday though! Yay! SO I will be able to do the SCOD in the afternoon.

Anyways here is June 11 SCOD. It might be a little weak, since there really wasn't any questions I could come up with for the other pictures in this part. Enjoy.

1. How do you think Saruman reacts to this flooding? Do you think he wouldn't expect the ents to attack Isengard?
2. Does Saruman think he has failed Sauron?
3. How did you feel about the flooding of Isengard?
4. Any other comments on today's SCOD?

See you all Friday!

The HUGEST Lord of the Rings fan ever!
Owner of all LOTR merchandise.
In 2011-2012, The Hobbit is going there and back again.
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."
Photobucket

(This post was edited by LordotRings93 on Jun 11 2008, 4:23am)

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2008, 10:05am

Post #2 of 17 (1159 views)
Shortcut
"Hang on little hobbits!" [In reply to] Can't Post

That moment when the flood crashes into Treebeard gives me a huge rush of goosebumps everytime, I don't know why, there's just something about it. Smile

1.) I think Saruman expected a possible attack from the Ents, considering all he had done, but I don't think he expected they would be so powerful.

2.) I think Saruman has failed himself. This is the Empire he had built in his own land, and in a matter of seconds, it is destroyed.

3.) I think it's a great scene! Very exciting, and very well done!

4.) Great screencap LoR93! Smile

"WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN"

Did you ever wish certain moments from LOTR could've made it to the screen? Have you ever imagined what would have happened if all of the original writings from the script actually made it to the films? Well, "What Could Have Been" is the right discussion for you! Starting this summer will be a series of topics about what could have been in "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy". Be on the lookout, and be sure to join in on the fun!

Elven
Valinor

Jun 11 2008, 2:44pm

Post #3 of 17 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Welease the Waters!! [In reply to] Can't Post

How do you think Saruman reacts to this flooding? Do you think he wouldn't expect the ents to attack Isengard?
Whoops! Triffids!! and wrecking my garden!!
Saurams expression here is priceless - there was nothing he could do - and he knew it. But to see the waters break the wall and start pouring down the mountain was a moment of truth and fury for him. A complete miscalculation and an abrupt ending and failure to one part of his plans. At this point I think he realized the demize of his power.

I think he would be more concerned for himself at this satge - that he had failed himself.

It was brilliant, efficient andf effective achievement.

Wonderful and powerful choice of SCOD LordotRings93

Cheers and thanks
Elven

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 11 2008, 3:20pm

Post #4 of 17 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Sdrawkcab [In reply to] Can't Post

1. How do you think Saruman reacts to this flooding?

It’s like when you’re doing weekend yardwork and you suddenly notice there’s trees starting to grow next to your foundation, or in your fenceline. You go “Where the heck did they come from and why didn’t I notice them before? And how’d they grow so darn fast??” Then you get out the Roundup. Unless they’ve grown too big, then you need a saw, and then a drill and some copper sulfate for the stump.

But somehow I don’t think the Ents will stand still long enough for Saruman to do all that.

Personally I hate killing trees, but sometimes a homeowner’s gotta do what a homeowner’s gotta do.

Do you think he wouldn't expect the ents to attack Isengard?

You bet. Saruman was quite correct in his thinking. Treebeard and all the Ents were pretty pacifistic. Even in the book after Skinbark told them of all the devastation Saruman wrought on the forest the Ents just stood around hooming and hawing. Both in book and film it took the wild cards of Merry and Pippin to show up and rouse the Ents. And what’s delicious is that M&P were there because Saruman’s own Uruks brought them there! Saruman was hoisted on his own petard!! Theoden was right: “Oft evil will shall evil mar.” This is whatcha call ironic!

No ring, no Rohan, no Theoden. Plus important prisoners like Gandalf and M&P keep slipping through his fingers. Competence is obviously not his strong suit. Saruman is such a weenie he probably couldn’t even keep a Shire full of humble hobbits under control for very long.

It’s really neat. I love playing it in slow motion and seeing all the little fiddling details.

BTW, it’s interesting to compare it with the flooding Gormenghast Castle in Mervyn Peake’s trilogy. There the flooding produced foulness and corruption. Here it cleanses and produces new life. This means something. Perhaps Gormanghast was just too far gone for the waters to be cleansing.

I understand Christopher Lee wasn’t available for pickups when they wanted that shot of him going back into Orthanc at the end. So they took an existing shot of him coming out onto the balcony and ran it backwards.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 11 2008, 3:50pm

Post #5 of 17 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Another good Darkstone post [In reply to] Can't Post

It’s like when you’re doing weekend yardwork and you suddenly notice there’s trees starting to grow next to your foundation, or in your fenceline. You go “Where the heck did they come from and why didn’t I notice them before? And how’d they grow so darn fast??” Then you get out the Roundup. Unless they’ve grown too big, then you need a saw, and then a drill and some copper sulfate for the stump.

But somehow I don’t think the Ents will stand still long enough for Saruman to do all that.

Personally I hate killing trees, but sometimes a homeowner’s gotta do what a homeowner’s gotta do.

This reminded me of my mother-in-law. She always strove to do 'the right thing' which was sometimes defined in interesting ways. She had a really lovely birch tree outside the bay window of her bedroom. Birch's are susceptible to two infestations: Birch Borer and Leafminers. We worry constantly about our beloved birch in the backyard and try to keep it healthy by always insuring it has enough water so it doesn't become stressed. She would have the trees sprayed each year. When she decided she didn't want to spend the money anymore, she had it cut down. It was, at that point, perfectly healthy and might have remained so for many years. But, to her mind, the right thing was to spray it and if she didn't want to spray it had to go.

But I'm in agreement with the foundation trees. Around here it's elms. You got it be ruthless with those that have grown in the wrong places (often found when you move into a property where someone has been lax).

I understand Christopher Lee wasn’t available for pickups when they wanted that shot of him going back into Orthanc at the end. So they took an existing shot of him coming out onto the balcony and ran it backwards.

Ah. This was going to be my comment for this SCOD. I had always noticed Farmer Maggot's dog walking backward into the house in response to the Nazgul that comes visiting. I would think about that every time I saw the scene. Do dogs really do that? Walk backwards? It must be a real sign of fear and wariness. So when I saw Saruman doing that, my mind immediately went to the dog. It kind of put a label of whipped, frightened dog on him.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 11 2008, 4:29pm

Post #6 of 17 (1150 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's interesting that in the forest trees regularly kill each other. An old tree dies and falls and leaves a space in the canopy. Young trees burst forth in a struggle against each other for that new spot in the sun. They spend all their stored energy in a race to be first to fill that gap in the canopy. There is only one winner. The losers shrivel and die in the shade of the victor. Trees are ruthless.

BTW, sorry to steal your thunder about the backwards Saruman.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 11 2008, 4:30pm

Post #7 of 17 (1139 views)
Shortcut
no thunder in that thought [In reply to] Can't Post

I was actually pleased that someone else had noticed it at all.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 11 2008, 4:54pm

Post #8 of 17 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Poor Saruman! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. How do you think Saruman reacts to this flooding? Do you think he wouldn't expect the ents to attack Isengard?
I honestly believe that Saruman had forgotten about the Ents. For all of his wisdom and age he forgot who his neighbors were.

That's an interesting question. I do think that by this point Saruman was far more worried about whether or not the ents could snap his tower like they snapped his damn. But I'll answer your question with another question. Does he think Sauron's arms are long enough to come for him at Orthanc? I have a feeling that as the acting representative of Sauron, Inc. in that area of the world, he wasn't too worried about Sauron. At least for a little while.

I love it! Except for one thing and it's not the filmmakers' fault. Every time someone uses water like this in minatures it looks fake to me. I've finally decided that it's the drops of water that are too big. You just can't minaturize water. Other than that, I love this scene.

Great choice today!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
Screencap of the Day Schedule for June

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 11 2008, 5:04pm

Post #9 of 17 (1186 views)
Shortcut
I'm gonna wash those orcs right outta my hair [In reply to] Can't Post

or leaves or... you get the picture ;)

I just LOVE seeing the Storming of Isengard! ALL of the deviations from the text is well worth this one scene when we SEE the Ents school this wayward Wizard and clean house. IT'S AWESOME!!!!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 11 2008, 5:04pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 11 2008, 7:32pm

Post #10 of 17 (1122 views)
Shortcut
So brilliantly done, [In reply to] Can't Post

and yet we know it was done at the last minute under immense time pressure. Stress is a great driver of creativity, clearly!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2008, 9:06pm

Post #11 of 17 (1125 views)
Shortcut
One word springs to mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

when I think what Saruman must be thinking when he sees the Ents marching on Isengard... "D'OH!" Coupled with a slap to the forehead. I mean come on Saruman, how did you forget the Ents?? After all that planning, and preparation, and all that ambition, it all unravelled because you forgot??! Silly wizard!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Anorien
Rohan

Jun 11 2008, 10:49pm

Post #12 of 17 (1113 views)
Shortcut
Ents! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Since Saruman had been so keen on metal and wheels, I suspect that he thought the ents to be weak. To him they were there but they didn't have the power to stop him, he was wizard. I don't think he fully understood the true power of nature, especially ents!

2. I think in some ways yes, he feels he has failed. I think he's more humiliated than anything and is questioning his own power.

3. I loved it. I thought that the flooding was key because it cleansed the orc infested pits. A beautiful garden was once there and then it was all stripped away for the use of war. It was also very satisfying to orcs being washed away and Saruman in a panic.

4. Saruman got what he deserved, although I don't think the whole falling onto pointed wheel was a good ending for him. Go ents!

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Jun 12 2008, 12:24am

Post #13 of 17 (1111 views)
Shortcut
Nice Screencap [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Yeah, Saruman had probably forgotten all about the Ents. I mean, they don't exactly advertise themselves to the world, and he had already been cutting down the forest for a few days. He might have given them a little thought at first, but as time went on he probably forgot. Stupid maggot. Sly

2. I know what he's thinking right now! OH S***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. I loved it! The music was great and the entire scene is a great rush.

4. Beautiful screencap!

"I like cooking, but I like other people cooking more." -David Wenham

"I think being different, going against the grain of society, is the greatest thing in the world." -Elijah Wood.

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 12 2008, 2:25pm

Post #14 of 17 (1108 views)
Shortcut
farmers and walking backwards.. [In reply to] Can't Post

"A farmer is the only person who can raise something and then take its life.."

I'm paraphrasing here, but that sentiment about farming was told to me by someone who worked in the agriculture industry. It made an impression on me, as even though I live in a rural area now, I grew up in suburbs and my first views on farming were very much like those of "Oliver Douglas" -- only seeing parts of what's involved in living with the land, and romanticizing the experience. (Cue patriotic music...)

Though Tolkien gets labeled as a tree-hugger, there's a pretty wide range of views on nature in his tale, really -- we see the noble and cruel side of it, and are given examples of how different races treat their environments. If I had to label it, I'd call him a "steward", based on a healthy and honest respect of the natural world.

On the walking backwards issue, I had not connecting Saruman here with the dog in FOTR -- very nice! Intended or not by the film makers, it's a good comparison...

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 12 2008, 2:33pm

Post #15 of 17 (1103 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like "The Secret Life of Plants" [In reply to] Can't Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ecret_Life_of_Plants

Hey, I just figured out how to do a link on TORn -- whoo hoo!

**goes off to burn incense to the gods of technology...**

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 12 2008, 2:55pm

Post #16 of 17 (1096 views)
Shortcut
a pretty "fantastical" shot... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not the kind of thing you see everyday, is it?

When TTT was first out in the theaters, I had a hard time with the ending of it. I think I just had a hard time processing all of those visual images and action at the end -- it was like being at a very overwhelming fireworks display! Each time I saw it I could take in more of the endings...but it really took me seeing it on a small screen at home before I got it all...

Isengard must be very well soundproofed -- first, Grima didn't hear 10,000 Uruks assembling on the grounds, and now you get the impression that Saruman didn't come out to check things out until the Ents were in full attack mode....but that's good from a dramatic point of view, I guess. Given how absolutely arrogant Saruman was in the films, this is a pretty amazing "take down" shot of him...

Weaver

Artanis
Rohan

Jun 12 2008, 8:29pm

Post #17 of 17 (1104 views)
Shortcut
And [In reply to] Can't Post

Jazmine, isn't that the way that a lot of "baddies" come to their ruin.

This is one of the scenes that doesn't make me want to jump and shout "charge", but I'm much more solemn, and really feel the sadness of the ents, and then adding that wonderful Howard Shore music to it, it just brings tears to my eyes.

Artanis

Reading: Unfinished Tales, The Princess and Curdie, Sense and Sensibility.

Listening: LOTR Trilogy Soundrack, Downhere-Wide Eyed and Mystified, Steven Curtis Chapman-This Moment.

Random Delights: tea, Peanut Butter Kitkat, toast and strawberry jam. TORN

(This post was edited by Artanis on Jun 12 2008, 8:30pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.