Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
BBC Episode 2 The Black Riders : Gandalf, Gwaihir and Leaving the Shire

ArathornJax
Lorien

Jun 10 2008, 12:49am

Views: 166
Shortcut
BBC Episode 2 The Black Riders : Gandalf, Gwaihir and Leaving the Shire Can't Post

First of all, just to clarify, I am using and I am assuming that everyone else is using the 13 CD version. So this is one episode and I'll just be going through The Black Riders. Please feel to answer my questions, respond to a thought or ask your own question!

This episode is very interesting to me as it incorporates parts of the Unfinished Tales into the script. So onward as the hobbits would say!

1. Does Gwaihir convince you that he is a talking eagle? I know some have stressed in The Hobbit movie forum of not wanting talking animals and yet here we have one, and he is talking (like in the book). Does this distract you from the story and is there any other way you could think of to handle this in a radio adaptation?

2. One question always raised is why not have the Eagles fly Frodo to Mt. Doom and be done with it. Does Gwaihir offer an explanation here when he says he can fly with great speed after being spotted and that he came to bear messages and not burdens and that he can bear Gandalf many leagues but not to the ends of the earth? He is able to fly Gandalf to Edoras and not to Hobbiton so does this offer insight that the Great Eagles may not be able to bear burdens so far?

3. Theoden states "I have never heard before that Gandalf sought the aid of any man." Does this offer insight before Wormtongue is introduced of whose influence Theoden is under? Is there any similarity to the conversation between Gandalf and Saruman at the end of Episode I?

4. Wormtongue is introduced much earlier here than in the book. What do you think of the scene between Theoden, Wormtongue and Gandalf? Does it enhance the story and as a fan do you like having this in the story so early?

5. The confrontation between Saruman, the Lord of the Nazgul and other Nazgul is taken from Unfinished Tales (as is the confrontation between Wormtongue and the Nine). How does the scene help a listener who might not have read the books to understand what is going on in the plot? Does this scene help to increase the tension of the broadcast? Would you include this scene in your adaptation of the book (if you made one with approval)?

6. Does it work to have the escape of Gandalf, the Edoras confrontation, the finding of Shadowfax in this part of the story versus a reflection at the Council of Elrond? Why do you think that Brian Sibley put this in this spot and not at the Council of Elrond?

7. I'm bias and will state that up front. I love the scene of Frodo, Sam and Pippin leaving Bag End. It reminds me so much of the book. Do you like the song Upon the Hearth? Does it sound like a hobbit song to you, or one that Frodo or Bilbo would make up?

8. We meet Merry and Pippin for the first time here. What are your thoughts of both initially?

That's enough for now. Feel free to comment also on what you think of the actors who portray these characters. Again you can find the script and other great info over at Wellinham . Also feel free to discuss whatever else you wish up to the point when Frodo leaves Bag End with Pippin and Sam. We'll pick up tomorrow at the Gaffer and a Black Rider.

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

(This post was edited by ArathornJax on Jun 10 2008, 12:52am)

Subject User Time
BBC Episode 2 The Black Riders : Gandalf, Gwaihir and Leaving the Shire ArathornJax Send a private message to ArathornJax Jun 10 2008, 12:49am
    Lots of points.. Huan71 Send a private message to Huan71 Jun 10 2008, 11:12am
    Philippa Boyens addresses the question grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 10 2008, 2:16pm
        I love most of the singing frederica bolger Send a private message to frederica bolger Jun 10 2008, 4:10pm
            I'm with you on voices Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jun 10 2008, 6:37pm
    I love the songs Jazmine Send a private message to Jazmine Jun 10 2008, 8:59pm
        different version Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jun 10 2008, 9:17pm
            Mine is the BBC version Jazmine Send a private message to Jazmine Jun 11 2008, 7:15am
                Well... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jun 11 2008, 10:45am
    I agree with you... Elenedhel Send a private message to Elenedhel Jun 10 2008, 11:58pm
    This is the benefit of having CRRT on board Idril Celebrindal Send a private message to Idril Celebrindal Jun 12 2008, 5:27pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.