Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bob Shaye interview with Movies Online (Hobbit tidbit inside)...

diedye
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2007, 4:22am

Post #1 of 20 (11658 views)
Shortcut
Bob Shaye interview with Movies Online (Hobbit tidbit inside)... Can't Post

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_11490.html

It's mostly about The Last Mimzy, but there was this about The Hobbit...

Q: Have you set a date for The Hobbit? What kind of director do you think you can get?

Bob Shaye: If we make it, we’ll have a good one – I promise you.

IF?!

Looks like someone's either having second thoughts or is feeling the noose tightening and knows he's running out of time.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2007, 4:30am

Post #2 of 20 (9415 views)
Shortcut
That's a big "if" [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree -- it sounds like he's got nothing and has given up on the idea. Thanks for posting it though, diedye!

Where's Frodo?

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Mar 17 2007, 10:05am

Post #3 of 20 (9417 views)
Shortcut
Without any promises... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like politicians, people such as Mr. Shaye are masters of answering questions in such a way that do not give any kind of answer.

My money is on MGM taking up the Hobbit helm, and possibly getting PJ involved I hope! And if not, hmmm.. Better to have no film, than to have a film that does not meet expectations, I say.

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Mar 17 2007, 10:39am

Post #4 of 20 (9400 views)
Shortcut
I also suspect New Line is easing out of it [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with you - it'll probably be MGM.

It's been quite a while since New Line had a big moneymaking film. Like, I think ROTK was the last one, and that was over three years ago. They might be gunshy about The Hobbit because to do it right will take quite a lot of money.

I just hope MGM and Weta get along all right. While I do believe Jackson ought to direct The Hobbit, Weta's contributions to The Lord of the RIngs movies were MASSIVE so I really want to see Weta involved as well.

Boycott New Line!
http://www.boycottnewline.com

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Mar 17 2007, 11:09am

Post #5 of 20 (9409 views)
Shortcut
Did a read somewhere that Newline was in seemingly bad shape before PJ's Lord of the Rings films? [In reply to] Can't Post

If so, Newline played quite a gamble with these movies as I remember. The success of these films would make a break them as a movie industry. For them to take that risk, they must have a good eye for talent or it was the only thing of great cinematic appeal they could gamble with.

Either way, I'm saddened by the fact that they refuse to settle their differences with Peter Jackson and make the Hobbit movie we all want to see.

"They might be gunshy about The Hobbit because to do it right will take quite a lot of money."

That may be so. With the great success of the LotR films it is possible Newline would want to spend their new found wealth and expand into other areas rather than rely on repeat performances. Even if all signs pointed to success with the Hobbit, there is still the element of unpredictability and timing in the desire of an audience seeking a particular type of movie, etc. Or so I have learned.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2007, 1:23pm

Post #6 of 20 (9404 views)
Shortcut
Shuffle to the left... aaaand shuffle to the right. Nice dance. // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Elven
Valinor

Mar 17 2007, 5:56pm

Post #7 of 20 (9375 views)
Shortcut
Mwahaha gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Shayes outbust said alot - (which one? - the last one Wink) - I thought then - somewhere, someone had just hammered in the last nail and dealt a final blow to NL's involvement with the Hobbit - and that would cause some 'chip-spitting!'
I think NL were about to make some Grand statements when PJ cut them off at the pass. PJ's letter certainly made an impact, and I believe NL were about to ride rough-shod over others to get the Hobbit off the ground in time.

The latest statement seems to be very PR motivated - it keeps NL in the spotlight to some degree - possibly the publicity machine is now working on the replies for not doing the Hobbit ...

If the Hobit was being made ... someone, somewhere would know 'something' ... it doesn't matter how tight-lipped it has to be ... and all's quiet ... and time is just rolling along so fast ... NL should be keep their focus on projecting future films ... if they dont do it, it will be interesting to see what they put up against the Hobbit when its released by MGM /Jackson.

Heart Elven x

"Never wash your name in hot water Elvenesque - it shrinks!" said the Gaffer.
Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 18 2007, 6:11am

Post #8 of 20 (9364 views)
Shortcut
This is Hollywood speak [In reply to] Can't Post

He is just advancing his PR machine by giving no answer at all. I think that means absolutely (and not the watered down meaning of 'absolutely' but the absolute meaning of 'absolutely) nothing at all.

. . . One should, if possible, express a negative concept in a positive form: "not meaningful" rather than "meaningless." I agree and will, therefore, now refer to contemporary movie executives as running around "like chickens without their heads cut on." - David Mamet

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 18 2007, 1:31pm

Post #9 of 20 (9433 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Shaye really did stick his foot in it... and NL would be foolish to try and offer a version of The Hobbit that didn't meet the standard of Peter's LotR. If NL paid attention at all to why the films were successful, they know most of the audience will accept nothing less than the rich, inspiring story LotR is.

I think part of Shaye's brief response follows what he's been doing recently, not offering much of anything because they are backing away (thanks to him) and he's probably tired of being asked about it. Poor baby.

sample sample

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 18 2007, 1:32pm)

fmaximus
Rivendell

Mar 18 2007, 2:52pm

Post #10 of 20 (9369 views)
Shortcut
Another example of Shaye avoiding the question. [In reply to] Can't Post

In a March 18 interview with the Chicago Sun-Times he answered questions regarding his health and the last Mimzy, but when he was questioned about the Hobbit, he totally avoided it.

http://www.suntimes.com/...nday-fiveq18.article

"Will you have Peter Jackson direct "The Hobbit" or go to a new director?"

"That is not what this meeting is about, but thank you for your interest."

(This post was edited by fmaximus on Mar 18 2007, 2:59pm)

Daeorn Aldalómë
Bree

Mar 18 2007, 5:34pm

Post #11 of 20 (9351 views)
Shortcut
What Gamble? [In reply to] Can't Post

New Line has to know that a Hobbit movie would be HUGE. Any money they put into it will be a great investment. With that aside, I think I could probably deal with no Pete Jackson, but no Weta? Weta is Middle-earth!

fmaximus
Rivendell

Mar 18 2007, 7:42pm

Post #12 of 20 (9343 views)
Shortcut
It's probably safe to assume... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that if there's no Peter Jackson for the Hobbit, there will be no Weta as well. Why would a company that has such a close relationship with PJ want to make a movie with a studio that has so blatantly treated PJ (and the fans) like crap. Richard Taylor (the creative genious behind weta) is one of PJ's best friends and besides that Peter owns part of the company.
New Line probably wouldn't even attempt it.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 19 2007, 12:39am

Post #13 of 20 (9340 views)
Shortcut
Richard Taylor has been quoted [In reply to] Can't Post

saying that Peter Jackson's involvement isn't necessary for WETA to sign on.

In Reply To
... that if there's no Peter Jackson for the Hobbit, there will be no Weta as well. Why would a company that has such a close relationship with PJ want to make a movie with a studio that has so blatantly treated PJ (and the fans) like crap. Richard Taylor (the creative genious behind weta) is one of PJ's best friends and besides that Peter owns part of the company.
New Line probably wouldn't even attempt it.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 19 2007, 1:01am

Post #14 of 20 (9341 views)
Shortcut
Whoa. Slam that door SHUT! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's either:

a) Been told to keep his comments and opinions to himself, or
b) The Hobbit will not be made my New Line, or
c) He's forgotten what a Hobbit is and is not understanding the question.

I'm so glad he survived his illness. I sincerely hope this near-death experience will teach him to appreciate life and not sweat the small stuff... or lawsuits.

Thanks for the link! :D

sample sample

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 19 2007, 2:23am

Post #15 of 20 (9327 views)
Shortcut
This is true [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he told TORn in fact, but I can't find the story. I did find this as part of an article by a site doing a big wrap up:

"In better news, Peter Jackson’s production company WETA has told The One Ring that even if Peter doesn’t make the film they’d still be available to do the effects work on The Hobbit. WETA head honcho Richard Taylor tells OneRing, “We're hopeful that we may be invited to work on The Hobbit. There's nothing more that we would like to do in our careers.” So even if PJ doesn’t direct, having WETA involved might mean at least some chance of achieving a similar, contiguous look throughout all four Lord of the Rings films."

I strogly remember Taylor saying something like "Peter wouldn't tell us not to be involved because of his situation with New Line" but obviously that isn't a quote. I couldn't find it so perhaps my memory is faulty.

<!- BEGIN PREVIEW FOOTER ->

. . . One should, if possible, express a negative concept in a positive form: "not meaningful" rather than "meaningless." I agree and will, therefore, now refer to contemporary movie executives as running around "like chickens without their heads cut on." - David Mamet

Elven
Valinor

Mar 19 2007, 4:35am

Post #16 of 20 (9360 views)
Shortcut
Shaye has 'foot in mouth' disease! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're right Sandwich King - I remember seeing that as well when the 'Shaye fray' started.

I must have been out of the loop at some point - where did Shaye mention his health? I remember writing a post about that prior to any announcement - can we still access things through the old main board?

gramma ROFLMAO! he forgot what the Hobbit was! !!
I'm sure he has had nightmares about the Hobbit - he wont forget that name, nor 'Jackson' and I'm not talking Micheal either ...Cool

Heart Elven

"Never wash your name in hot water Elvenesque - it shrinks!" said the Gaffer.
Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...

_V_
Lorien

Mar 19 2007, 5:18am

Post #17 of 20 (9314 views)
Shortcut
PJ4EVR [In reply to] Can't Post

they HAVE to get PJ involved

Patty
Immortal

Mar 19 2007, 5:13pm

Post #18 of 20 (9306 views)
Shortcut
That would certainly help with the continuity issue which has been my main concern... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I still want PJ!

Welcome to Rivendell, Patty Baggins

fmaximus
Rivendell

Mar 20 2007, 1:27am

Post #19 of 20 (9291 views)
Shortcut
Your right, Richard Taylor did say that... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but that statement was made before New Line (Shaye) lashed out and made it personal with PJ. Do you think that Richard Taylor still feels that way?

(This post was edited by fmaximus on Mar 20 2007, 1:28am)

Nessa Inglorion
The Shire

Mar 23 2007, 3:43am

Post #20 of 20 (10945 views)
Shortcut
That was b4 the Shaye lashout. u r right. He probably feels differently now. N/T [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.