mmmmrrrrrRRRRROARRRRrrrrroooommmm

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 9 2008, 2:46am

Post #1 of 12 (120 views)
Shortcut
mmmmrrrrrRRRRROARRRRrrrrroooommmm Can't Post

B-17 fly-bySmile.
We decided to go to the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum –World War II Week down to Reading, Pa. My son and I with two of my wife’s brothers drove down yesterday to a 95+ degree day to see some really magnificent aircraft. Ever since I was a kid building model planes and ships, and catching many historical things on tv, I have been amazed by how they helped to turn the tide on both fronts of the war..
Not only did they have an amazing display of aircraft, they had a fantastic display of ground equipment with everything besides tank (trucks, motorcycles, artillery etc.) with German and American bivouac tented (elaborate!) areas and displays illuminating all aspect of the war.
Here are some of the planes we saw fly.

FG-1D Corsair here and below (Dunedain of the Pacific)

P-51 Mustang

P-25J

These next 2 are the Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress 'Yankee Lady'. This is just a beautiful plane with such grace in the air.

Surprize visit of an A-10 Wart Hog

And a B-25D 'Yankee Warrior

Hope you like these. I have other pictures if anyone has a request.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

diedye
Grey Havens

Jun 9 2008, 2:55am

Post #2 of 12 (56 views)
Shortcut
First pic doesn't work.... [In reply to] Can't Post

"This image or video has been moved or deleted."

*shrug*

Thanks for the other pics, though... it brings back bittersweet memories of when we used to go over the border to the Plattsburg Air Force Base for the air shows every year... it's a shame they had to close the base. Frown

Join the "Save " Campaign

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 9 2008, 3:09am

Post #3 of 12 (53 views)
Shortcut
Ok diedye [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried to change this to a bigger picture but just will not agree. Here is another shot of it on the ground. This is a beautiful airplane.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

By El~Cugu

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2008, 3:16am

Post #4 of 12 (56 views)
Shortcut
That's hot! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was going to say "Cool!" but your report of 95 degree temps made me change my adjective! Wink

Anyhow, air shows like this are lots of fun. It's fascinating to see old planes like this up close! Did you get a chance to check out the interiors of the planes?

If you ever get a chance, visit the US Air Force museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, OH. They have a lot of WWII-era and earlier aircraft set up in traditional museum displays in one part of the museum. But the other part is just a bunch of planes sitting around in a big hanger. (Most are from the 2nd half of the 20th century.) You can walk right up to them!

On our first visit, my youngest son (then age 2) loved it so much that he announced that he was going to live at the Air Force museum. We had to carry him out kicking and screaming when the museum closed for the day.

We're discussing the BBC Lotrd of the Rings Radio Play on the Movie Discussion - LOTR board.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 9 2008, 3:24am

Post #5 of 12 (49 views)
Shortcut
We just were able to [In reply to] Can't Post

go through one plane (for a buck) Idril and it was a submarine hunter, although i did not catch the name. We all were fried there at the end of the day. It was amazing the number of switches and gauges and knobs there in the cockpit. And although it was a fairly large plane it was incredibly tight to 'wiggle and crawl' through with all the other equipment and manned stations along the way.

By El~Cugu

ArathornJax
Lorien

Jun 9 2008, 3:34am

Post #6 of 12 (49 views)
Shortcut
Love the pics! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wonderful pictures! One of my fondest memories is doing volunteer work interview vets of WWII and getting down their stories. I interviewed a B-17 pilot about 5 years ago and he took inside the refurbished Fortress at the museum he worked at. Incredible experience. I wish about 10 years ago I would have gone up in a Fortress for 30 minutes for about $150 but I couldn't justify the cost to the wife. The same group comes by every other year still and were here about a month ago and the cost for a 20 minute flight in the B-17 is now up to $450. Nothing sounds sweater to me then the sounds of the Pratt Whitney's or the Merlin Engine of the Mustang.

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 9 2008, 9:24am

Post #7 of 12 (44 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Those are Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

The power of those machines and what was accomplished by them through the union with their pilots still thrills me to no end! Thank you for these :D I'm so glad your family had such a wonderful time, but I'm bummed that it was so hot! Can you imagine the temps in those planes?!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 9 2008, 10:12am

Post #8 of 12 (39 views)
Shortcut
Here is a better picture of the Mustang [In reply to] Can't Post

'Glamorous Gal' AJ

I love the look of the Corsair though and their takeoff seems so effortless. 2450hpSmile

By El~Cugu

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 9 2008, 10:17am

Post #9 of 12 (49 views)
Shortcut
They mentioned that. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was around 120 degrees. Yea, but look at that undaunted pilot in the the after flight ground shot of the Corsair pilot smiling and waving at us. He is lovin' it.

By El~Cugu

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 9 2008, 3:23pm

Post #10 of 12 (38 views)
Shortcut
Now why do I have this urge [In reply to] Can't Post

to go around singing about "Snoopy and the Red Baron"?

Wink

Nice pics! Wouldn't you love to take the controls and soar off in one of those smaller ones?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 9 2008, 11:58pm

Post #11 of 12 (28 views)
Shortcut
Snoopy and the Red Baron coming up [In reply to] Can't Post

Also there was some hard-nosed and serious military police hanging around.

By El~Cugu

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 10 2008, 1:13am

Post #12 of 12 (32 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good grief, Charlie Brown, sil junior is almost big enough to drive that thing! Shocked

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.