Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
anyone addicted to Google Book Search yet?

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 17 2007, 1:39am

Post #1 of 19 (787 views)
Shortcut
anyone addicted to Google Book Search yet? Can't Post

***raises own hand Angelic

Now, there's probably a lot of you who caught on to the coolness of Google Book Search before I did, so do not gloat. But for those who haven't found it yet, I have to say it's great: I have now spent hours and hours and HOURS there looking up old stuff that interests me.

The history of the project is fascinating itself. But one only has to realize that several wonderful university libraries and other large library systems (Harvard, the University of Michigan, Princeton University, the New York Public Library, Oxford and Stanford among them) are cooperating with Google to "digitize" old public domain books to be floored by the endless possibilities:

The combined collections at these extraordinary libraries are estimated to exceed 15 million volumes.

For instance, any of you fellow public health nurses out there (I know there must be one or two!!), you can read Lavinia Dock and Adelaide Nutting's Histories of Nursing from the early twentieth century. You can read NIGHTINGALE for heaven's sake, in the original if you want.

~~(a little hero worship, sorry)~~

For those getting ready for the upcoming Beowulf discussions, there are several full view translations dating back to the 1830s. Wouldn't THAT be challenging (I'm sticking with my paper copy of Heaney, but some of us might be up for the challenge!!)

Anyway, I recommend Google Book Search as highly entertaining. Let me know if you find a really cool search. Right now, I'm off to search "cooking" "1850-1900" "full view books". Here's a cool title for preparing a St. Patrick's day feast:

The edible mollusks of Great Britain and Ireland, with recipes for cooking them, by M.S. Lovell, published in London in 1867.

Gosh I love the internet.

Laugh

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worried 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
No one knows for certain, and so it's all the same to me:
I think I'll just let the mystery be.
~~~~Iris DeMent

Alnilam
Rivendell

Mar 17 2007, 1:47am

Post #2 of 19 (579 views)
Shortcut
Oh boy. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I want to go near that. I'd be lost in it forever looking at all the different books and such. I would need a long paid vacation.

It sounds really interesting.

And you definitely have heard of it before I did.

Alnilam's Realm
From the Old TORN Boards: Top 5 Browsers/OSs:
1. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (1568)
2. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (890)
3. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (464)
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98 (175)
5. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (136)

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 17 2007, 2:05am

Post #3 of 19 (585 views)
Shortcut
I'm a believer [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not addicted yet... no, really I'm not. Angelic Let's just say I spent the last 20 mins there and only just, JUST scratched the surface (and JUST managed to drag myself away).

I didn't know about it either. Thanks, a.s. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 17 2007, 2:32am

Post #4 of 19 (574 views)
Shortcut
maybe you can drag ME away!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm not addicted yet... no, really I'm not. Angelic Let's just say I spent the last 20 mins there and only just, JUST scratched the surface (and JUST managed to drag myself away).

uh, I am apparently unable to get off the Google Book Search web site. I feel like I've died and gone to heaven already. Just perusing the titles is giving me a thrill. How about this one, I mean, who can RESIST!!!???

The Penny Cyclopædia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge , London, 1842.

I can imagine the 12-step program for search addicts now...wait, let me just look up history of 12-step programs.

back momentarily....or sometime...

a.s.

"an seileachan"

~~~~Iris DeMent

Annael
Immortal

Mar 17 2007, 2:49am

Post #5 of 19 (578 views)
Shortcut
no, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Google Scholar.

Only a real man would dare do his morning power walk in a puffy shirt.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ugly Troll
Rivendell

Mar 17 2007, 3:35am

Post #6 of 19 (565 views)
Shortcut
I love having access to books online! [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately, it is VERY hard on the eyes to read a novel length text on a monitor.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2007, 3:53am

Post #7 of 19 (563 views)
Shortcut
It's come in handy for reference work. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never sought it out, but some of my Google searches have turned up pages in books that are part of that collection. Very nice! My eyes aren't up to extended reading of scanned pages on the screen, but it's great for looking up specfic information.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2007, 5:28am

Post #8 of 19 (571 views)
Shortcut
Well now I am [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I found this:
She's a bicycle, bicycle girl,
With hair of the loveliest curl;
She's fresher than clover,
My heart she rides over --
She's a bicycle, bicycle girl!

From Lyra Cyclus; Or The Bard and the Bicycle.

Hmm, what else shall I look for?

Where's Frodo?

Penthe
Gondor

Mar 17 2007, 5:38am

Post #9 of 19 (551 views)
Shortcut
I'm avoiding it so I can have some semblance of a normal life. / [In reply to] Can't Post

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Mar 17 2007, 10:49am

Post #10 of 19 (561 views)
Shortcut
Oh my! What a good time to be unemployed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I LOVE old books; I'm a history nut, and one way to understand the attitudes of a time is to read a book tied to that time. This will give me lots more material to go play around with.

Boycott New Line!
http://www.boycottnewline.com

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 17 2007, 1:14pm

Post #11 of 19 (565 views)
Shortcut
you SEE??? :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

It's like having a wonderful old used book store in your own home, minus the dust and mess!!

a.s. (muttering about having to get groceries and errands today instead of randomly searching Google Books)

"an seileachan"

~~~~Iris DeMent

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 17 2007, 3:17pm

Post #12 of 19 (553 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't looked into it. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can see myself spending a lot of time there now!

I've used the online books page at http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/ and I've looked up stuff at the Gutenberg Project. Especially when I'm bored at work... Angelic

Children’s Interpretations of the Bible

• Lot’s wife was a pillar of salt during the day, but a ball of fire during the night.

• The greatest miracle in the Bible is when Joshua told his son to stand still and he obeyed him.

• Christians have only one spouse. This is called monotony.

• http://mallika.vox.com/

Elven
    Valinor

Mar 17 2007, 6:43pm

Post #13 of 19 (556 views)
    Shortcut
    Oh My!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now you've done it LOL!
    I'll never get any sleep!
    I have just started collecting old books, and am currently reading about the Lords and Ladies of the Italian lakes - the Sforza-Visconti families Crazy 1900's edition - OMG!!
    I live in a town where there are more antique books than new ones ... thousands upon thousnads of them!!!!
    I can spend 4 hours in one section just looking!

Life will never be the same Wink

Heart Elven x

"Never wash your name in hot water Elvenesque - it shrinks!" said the Gaffer.
    Tolkien was a Capricorn!
    ..All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...

diedye
    Grey Havens

Mar 17 2007, 10:05pm

Post #14 of 19 (548 views)
    Shortcut
    *harrumph!* Says YOU.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Greenwood Hobbit
    Valinor

Mar 17 2007, 11:16pm

Post #15 of 19 (538 views)
    Shortcut
    Nooo...! [In reply to] Can't Post

Much too close to bed-time to even attempt it. I dare not. Maybe another time, in daylight!

wolfranger
    Bree

Mar 18 2007, 10:41pm

Post #16 of 19 (555 views)
    Shortcut
    Oh my goodness!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is awesome! And to think I'd never heard of it before. The first thing I looked up: Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy, which I very recently snuck into a library of which I KNOW I don't have access to read. Thanks a.s.!

Cheers,
    wolfranger.

"People at first though it obscurely religious, but when Rodia was rediscovered in Northern California after having disappeard for some years he turned out to be violently anti-religious, though he did not offer any other explanation of the towers' inscriptions and symbols." Howard Becker, Art Worlds. (Referring to the Watts Towers in Los Angeles.)

a.s.
    Valinor

Mar 19 2007, 12:01am

Post #17 of 19 (560 views)
    Shortcut
    be careful!! It's powerfully attractive [In reply to] Can't Post

at least, I seem to have spent way too long this weekend randomly looking up old "stuff". Like I started thinking about what "Gothic language" texts Tolkien might have had access to in the Bodleian library, since their nineteenth century public domain works are all being digitized...

whoo. That was an hour right there!

Crazy

BUT!! unfortunately that led to another page at the Bodley, which is their Digital Library Projects page....

a.s. (apparently stuck in endless "look up old stuff on the web" mode)

"an seileachan"

~~~~Iris DeMent

wolfranger
    Bree

Mar 19 2007, 7:46am

Post #18 of 19 (535 views)
    Shortcut
    *squee*! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so hard to get access to the Bodleian these days... It's like having it be a public library! Laugh

"People at first though it obscurely religious, but when Rodia was rediscovered in Northern California after having disappeard for some years he turned out to be violently anti-religious, though he did not offer any other explanation of the towers' inscriptions and symbols." Howard Becker, Art Worlds. (Referring to the Watts Towers in Los Angeles.)

Carcharoth
    Rivendell

Mar 24 2007, 3:04am

Post #19 of 19 (612 views)
    Shortcut
    Greeeeat... [In reply to] Can't Post

...something else to ensnare me. Thanks!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.