The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
BBC LOTR Episode 1: Wizards of many colors

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2008, 4:35am

Post #1 of 12 (167 views)
Shortcut
BBC LOTR Episode 1: Wizards of many colors Can't Post

Gandalf: I have come for your aid, Saruman the White.

Saruman: Have you indeed, Gandalf the Grey? For aid? It has seldom been heard of that Gandalf the Grey sought for aid, one so cunning and so wise, wandering about the lands, and concerning himself in every business, whether it belong to him or not.

Gandalf: If I am not deceived, things are now moving which will require the union of all our strength.

Saruman: That may be so, but the thought is late in coming to you.

- In this episode, we meet Radagast the Brown and Saruman the White, two other wizards of Gandalf's order. How does the radio play characterize Radagast? Does the voice actor who plays him sound right for the part?

- Radagast has only a small part in the story and is not included in either of the movie adaptations. However, he's included in the radio play. Does it matter if he's there or not? Does the radio play benefit by including him?

- We also revisit Gaffer Gamgee and the rest of the regulars at the Ivy Bush tavern. What purpose does this scene serve?

- Saruman plays a large role in the radio drama. Does Peter Howell, the voice actor who plays him, sound right for the part? How is he characterized?

- What first reveals his true intent? Does his temptation of Gandalf seem plausible? How about his imprisonment?

- In the book, Gandalf recounts his encounters with Radagast and Saruman during the council of Elrond. Here, they're placed shortly after Gandalf returns to the Shire and confirms that Frodo's ring is indeed the One Ring. Which one do you think would work better? Does the listener's knowledge of what happened to Gandalf change how the story is perceived?

We're discussing the BBC Lotrd of the Rings Radio Play on the Movie Discussion - LOTR board.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

terrymerry
Rivendell

Jun 7 2008, 4:04pm

Post #2 of 12 (140 views)
Shortcut
BBC radio version of LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I got to say I loved Gollum in the BBC version , and Gandalf was perfect too. BBC did stick to the book pretty closely. I suppose all Tolkiens characters could be played in many different ways and still work. I think it a shame to leave characters out, apart from Tom Bombadil.

ArathornJax
Lorien

Jun 7 2008, 5:10pm

Post #3 of 12 (111 views)
Shortcut
Saruman and Theoden [In reply to] Can't Post

In this episode, we meet Radagast the Brown and Saruman the White, two other wizards of Gandalf's order. How does the radio play characterize Radagast? Does the voice actor who plays him sound right for the part?
Radagast in the this episode as in the book, plays the role of getting Gandalf to go to Isengard. I thought that the voice actor played his role very effectively and that he got across the urgency this role needed.

- Radagast has only a small part in the story and is not included in either of the movie adaptations. However, he's included in the radio play. Does it matter if he's there or not? Does the radio play benefit by including him?
I actually like it better with him in it. It provides a reason for Gandalf to go to Isengard with a compelling reason other than just wanting to consult with the head of his order. More importantly it sets Saruman up as a betrayer. Thus I think Radagast plays though a very minor role, an important one.

- We also revisit Gaffer Gamgee and the rest of the regulars at the Ivy Bush tavern. What purpose does this scene serve?
We are seeing the setup for The Scourging of the Shire at the end of the book. We get to see regular hobbits interacting again, while also seeing that some of the hobbits have higher opinion of themselves then others. I wonder if Sandyman is putting down Merry and Pippin because they are heirs to the Tooks and Brandybucks, and to the authority that they have?

- Saruman plays a large role in the radio drama. Does Peter Howell, the voice actor who plays him, sound right for the part? How is he characterized?
Lets see if I can get some reaction here . . . I LOVE Peter Howell's portrayal of Saruman in this adaptation. For me, Peter Howell's Saruman is much more devious, much more plotting and scheming, and very manipulative than any of the other adaptations. Howell's Saruman in many ways, come closer to me of who Saruman was or had become in the War of the Ring than any other adaptation. Christopher Lee did a good job, but in many ways, I think his role was diminished because of lack of screen time. In this adaptation Saruman's character is given the time to really show what he has become, corrupted by choice.

- What first reveals his true intent? Does his temptation of Gandalf seem plausible? How about his imprisonment?
For me it is when he announces that Radagast is the fool and he accomplished what he wanted, for Gandalf to come to him and it is here that Gandalf will stay. That is showing that something is rotten in Isengard.

- In the book, Gandalf recounts his encounters with Radagast and Saruman during the council of Elrond. Here, they're placed shortly after Gandalf returns to the Shire and confirms that Frodo's ring is indeed the One Ring. Which one do you think would work better? Does the listener's knowledge of what happened to Gandalf change how the story is perceived?
I think in the book, Tolkien removes Gandalf without a lot of knowledge because the four hobbits needed to make the journey on their own (until they meet Aragorn) and it enhances the tension and the sinister feeling of the Black Riders in the background. Having Gandalf present during the journey to Rivendell would have perhaps been more of a hobbit holiday since Gandalf should have been able to hold them off. In the radio adaptation I think placing this story where they do, allows the listener to understand why Gandalf is not going to be present while also having the other story going on. I think in the radio BBC adaptation the listener's perception is changed only by knowing that the hobbits are not going to be rescued anytime soon by Gandalf. For me, being a lover of the book, I prefer Tolkiens version, though as a listener, I like how Sibley adapted this here.

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2008, 8:32pm

Post #4 of 12 (103 views)
Shortcut
finally got my copy in the post! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been following, but its been a busy few days what with family members in hospital, hoping to participate more next week!

I love Gollum, they've got his voice and his creepy quality just right. I also had a YAY! moment when Radagast made an appearance.

Saruman's voice really doesn't seem powerful enough for me. (Which is the same problem I had with the Saruman in the theatre musical.) One of Saruman's weapons is his voice and his ability to bewitch people with it. Peter Howell's voice just isn't quite right.

I loved the "Saruman of many colours" inclusion. From what I remember, that quote seems to have been lifted straight from the book, and it works really well. Gandalf's sudden realisation of Saruman's treachery is brilliantly done.

That's all I have time for at the moment!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 7 2008, 10:15pm

Post #5 of 12 (97 views)
Shortcut
"I like white better." [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Howell does a wonderful job as Saruman. Saruman's voice is his strength, but I don't think that means it has to be overpowering. Actually, *looks over shoulder* Lee's Saruman is a bit more theatrical than I prefer. Howell's is closer to the Saruman in my head when I'm reading the story.

I love having Radagast in the story! The more Wizards the better, imho :) It's great that he wasn't replaced with a moth ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Huan71
Lorien

Jun 8 2008, 8:30am

Post #6 of 12 (95 views)
Shortcut
Well put.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with the "Radagast being replaced by a moth" comment !
I'd not really thought of it that way....Nicely said !! Cool

As to Sarumans voice.....
Hmmm, well, i've always liked Christopher Lee's voice and thought he was GREAT in the films.
My initial thought, when i first heard the radio show a few years back, was that Howell's was a bit weak.
But....
I cant EVER remember perceiving saruman as a good guy; which of course, he was.....well, originally !
The thing is, i cant see Lee doing a convincing "good guy". He played this nasty Saruman bloke
and did it very well. The thing is his character is more complex than that....certainly in the book, and from that point
of view Howell's is more convincing.
(this is shown to it's best effect in the "voice of saruman".....but that's for another day!)
I guess i'll take the soft option and say i love them both, just for different reasons!

"Only the guilty dream"... oh dear, i'm DOOMED!!

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2008, 11:27am

Post #7 of 12 (118 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not the only one who was really pleased at the inclusion of Radagast! I know it's only a brief appearance, (in the book as well), but it was nice to have him included!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

AlatarVinyamar
Lorien

Jun 8 2008, 4:47pm

Post #8 of 12 (81 views)
Shortcut
Which version are we listening to? [In reply to] Can't Post

My copy of the BBC LotR is a 13 CD version, with an additional CD containing the music.

The first episode is called "Shadow of the Past". With the exception of the additional Music CD and a Map, its identical to the Audio Cassette version which I also own. However, I know there was a new version released with additional material recorded by Ian Holm.

Most of what you refer to is identical, I just want to make sure we're on the same page!

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2008, 2:38am

Post #9 of 12 (73 views)
Shortcut
Same version as you are [In reply to] Can't Post

I am using the 13 CD version, which is identical to the cassette version. Some (but not all) of the 13 CD sets had a 14th music CD.

In the early 2000s, the radio play was re-edited into three parts, removing the original opening/ending credits of each episode and adding new narration by Ian Holm. This is not the version I'm using.

We're discussing the BBC Lotrd of the Rings Radio Play on the Movie Discussion - LOTR board.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2008, 2:47am

Post #10 of 12 (70 views)
Shortcut
Radagast is expendable [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Radagast as a character, too, and wish he had been included in the movie. But he's not really essential to the plot. He doesn't really even need to be replaced by a moth -- Gwaihir could have just shown up at Orthanc to bring news to Sarman and found Gandalf imprisoned atop the tower without involving Radagast at all.

What he adds is a more compelling reason for Gandalf to go to Isengard, as well as an explanation for why Gwaihir drops by in Episode 2. He's an unexplained, evocative character who drops into and out of the story, giving it a bit of mystery and depth -- something which Tolkien excelled at doing.

Sibley and Bakewell cut many of the minor characters from the radio play, but they still kept around a few of the "major" minor characters, of which Radagast is one.

Patty
Immortal

Jun 9 2008, 3:30am

Post #11 of 12 (74 views)
Shortcut
You don't like... [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast the Moth?

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 9 2008, 2:26pm

Post #12 of 12 (67 views)
Shortcut
Too flighty ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.