Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Kicks in Doors* It's FIESTA TIME Y'all!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

diedye
Grey Havens

Jun 6 2008, 4:29pm

Post #26 of 243 (2873 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear... I know how you feel... [In reply to] Can't Post

Been there, done that... destined to do it again. I too am becoming obsolete (work-wise... although the same could be said for my physical self, but that's another story).

*sigh*

I'll keep you in my thoughts and pray something comes along for both of you.

*hugs*

Join the "Save " Campaign

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2008, 4:30pm

Post #27 of 243 (2868 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! Happy Birthday!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you have a wonderful day (it sounds like you will)! :)

Cheers to you! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 6 2008, 4:30pm

Post #28 of 243 (2874 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday, DoN! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a fabulous day! I hope your have ooodles of fun :) Cheers!

sample

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jun 6 2008, 4:32pm

Post #29 of 243 (2861 views)
Shortcut
Oops... forgot my drink [In reply to] Can't Post

Coffe with the works... Carmel, Cinnamon, whipped cream....mmmmmm!

**Tribute: Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling, WWII Pilot MIA, by Gramma & DoN**
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

(This post was edited by Daughter of Nienna on Jun 6 2008, 4:37pm)

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2008, 4:32pm

Post #30 of 243 (2859 views)
Shortcut
Heheheh! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed. :)

Have a wonderful (MIK) weekend! :D :D

Eventides' Website!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jun 6 2008, 4:34pm

Post #31 of 243 (2869 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you and OH can make a wonderful pitcher of lemonade out of this bucket of lemons. Hang in there!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 6 2008, 4:34pm

Post #32 of 243 (2854 views)
Shortcut
*sniffs blooming heather* ahhhhhh [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds like a fabulous weekend! Have a wonderful time :D

Cheers!

sample

sample sample

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2008, 4:35pm

Post #33 of 243 (2863 views)
Shortcut
LOL on the "hipped cream"! [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't that where it always ends up?

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 6 2008, 4:35pm

Post #34 of 243 (2864 views)
Shortcut
*loads up cup* You bet! [In reply to] Can't Post

Birthday girl ;)

sample

sample sample

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 6 2008, 4:36pm

Post #35 of 243 (2877 views)
Shortcut
To the newbies! *Raises glass of iced tea* [In reply to] Can't Post

We're off to the mountains again in a few hours; I have Fridays off in the summer and we go hiking pretty much every weekend, but Uncle Baggins works nights so he's sleeping now. Fortunately we can get away with leaving town in the afternoon and still getting in a good hike, this close to summer solstice.

It's going to be a busy weekend because I'm manning two different booths at Pride in the Park on Saturday (PFLAG and the Unitarians) and there's an interfaith church service for Pride in the Park on Sunday. (They have the local festival a couple of weeks before the national ones because a lot of people like to go down to Denver for their PrideFest two weeks later; my daughter and I are planning to go for the first time this year.) One of my goals Saturday is to buy some more wool socks from two women who met and fell in love in my calculus class seventeen years ago. They have an alpaca farm and they always have a booth at Pride in the Park; selling wool goods in June is tough, but there was fresh snow in the mountains yesterday.

Anyway, then on Sunday afternoon our family is getting together for "June birthdays" of which we have four this week, two on Sunday. We'll probably do our usual and have a cake with the total number of years represented in binary with the candles; blue for "ones" and pink for "zeros".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Jun 6 2008, 4:36pm

Post #36 of 243 (2903 views)
Shortcut
My Grandma [In reply to] Can't Post

The doctor has confirmed that my grandmother's tumor is indeed malignant and terminal. I will go to her when she has her ameliorative surgery, which is not yet scheduled.

She is 92 years old, has outlived her husband and her only son, is mostly blind, mostly deaf, lost most of her sense of taste and smell, and she finds her physical weakness supremely frustrating, when she had been abnormally strong for most of her life, up until her mid 80's (she used to be the go-to person for heavy lifting at her factory, because the men had all injured their backs.) I do not begrudge her the right to move on to something better; I believe that the discomforts of our final years are tantamount to a mother bird removing the down from a nest when it's time for the baby bird to fly. But I will miss our conversations, for she is intelligent, perceptive, lyrical, and appreciates the quirky side of life.

The plus side is that I can eulogize her while she yet lives. People often don't know what to say to the terminally ill. It seems to me that the best thing you can say is "Thank you for all that you have given me over the years!" Let the person know that her life meant something, she accomplished something, she can let her life close without regrets.

So here's a toast to a grand, brave lady, who gave me language! Really. I had stopped talking before she got custody of me, and she started me up again, introduced me to the whole amazing world of words! For my bedtime stories she read to me from books of classical poetry, Browning and Byron, Shelley and Keats, Tennyson and Frost, all of those marvelous storytellers in verse. She would come home exhausted from the factory night-shift, her fingers almost blue with cold, but we would wake up just to hear her story-tell us back to sleep again; she never said, "Oh, go back to bed, I want to get some sleep!" She taught me to read, and when the school system would have stifled my imagination, she fought them, and taught me to write. When she saw that I had a passion for it, she insisted that I write every day, and would not let anyone interfere with my writing time.

She had no idea what Tolkien's writings were about, but merely upon hearing about them, she followed her instinct and asked Grandpa to find his books for me anyway (Only "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" were available in those days.) Grandpa eventually had to special-order them through a liquor store that had a book rack, of all things! They were my first New books; before then everything I had came from a used bookstore near the beach, where she and Grandpa would take us frequently for the latest load, ten cents a copy, five if the book was badly damaged, one free for every two we traded in. Every weekend she and Grandpa would take us to either the library, the museums, or someplace in nature (the mountains, the beach, the desert, the chaparrel country.) We may have been poor, but she saw to our education as scrupulously as Bilbo educated Sam.

Some people here have said that they like the way that I write. You can blame Grandma for that.

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 6 2008, 4:38pm

Post #37 of 243 (2851 views)
Shortcut
A beer please gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

to see me on my way home (working late on a friday *sigh*)

Its been a hot week here, but as its the weekend rain is bound to be due!

have a good weekend all.

Disclaimer: Anything said in an admin capacity is subject to change dependent on how loud Altaira yells at me........

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Post #38 of 243 (2861 views)
Shortcut
That sound like so much fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ahhhh... I chilled the glass for ya!

Have a wonderful weekend!

sample

sample sample

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Post #39 of 243 (2880 views)
Shortcut
Oh,my, that's scary! [In reply to] Can't Post

Best wishes for the Universe to send something better along.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 6 2008, 4:40pm

Post #40 of 243 (2855 views)
Shortcut
Wow! That's quite a schedule! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll just fill this up for you and it'll be ready when you are :D I'm so glad the good weather's back so you can enjoy these special days! Cheers :)

sample

sample sample

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Post #41 of 243 (2858 views)
Shortcut
She sounds like an amazing person [In reply to] Can't Post

and no wonder you love her so well. My sympathy to you.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Post #42 of 243 (2875 views)
Shortcut
Me too... LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Good catch, great joke... I wnet n a fixed the typo... thanks.... maybe I should have left it for the laughs. But for posterity's sake, I like ot fix my typos... like straightening pictures on the wall.

Have a great day.

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jun 6 2008, 4:41pm

Post #43 of 243 (2856 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, back at you // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 6 2008, 4:41pm

Post #44 of 243 (2865 views)
Shortcut
As others have said [In reply to] Can't Post

no one has a right to say "get over it". Get over loving someone who is a huge part of your life? That love will last the rest of your life and beyond. Good on you for your defiance, and I'll raise a glass with you. To your wonderful Dad! *raises glass*

diedye
Grey Havens

Jun 6 2008, 4:42pm

Post #45 of 243 (2856 views)
Shortcut
Happy B-day! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join the "Save " Campaign

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jun 6 2008, 4:43pm

Post #46 of 243 (2860 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

That will reallly go to my Hips. Laugh

Your birthday wish is delightfully special as always.

DoN

Heart

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 6 2008, 4:44pm

Post #47 of 243 (2856 views)
Shortcut
What an amazing woman! [In reply to] Can't Post

She's your angel...

Here's to your Grandmother. I'm so glad you shared such a wonderful life together. *warm hug* You hang in there!

sample

sample sample

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Post #48 of 243 (2849 views)
Shortcut
That is truly amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

What love, skills, and knowledge she poured into you! Congratulations to her on a long life, well lived. *hugs*

Eventides' Website!
John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Post #49 of 243 (2860 views)
Shortcut
Blessing for you [In reply to] Can't Post

If it is permitted to pray for you, then I offer my prayer. If it is not permitted, then I offer my best wishes. And the nature of this wish/prayer/blessing is this:

May the changes in your world take a wonderful turn that you could not have foreseen, a eucatastrophe. May the ending of this job free OhioHobbit for something better than he had ever imagined. May you look back, this time next year, at how far you had come, and bless the seeming misfortune that you now endure. And until this unseen opportunity reveals itself, may you both have everything you need.

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 6 2008, 4:45pm

Post #50 of 243 (2850 views)
Shortcut
You got it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if it's raining... the weekends are the best! DRIVE SAFELY!! :D

sample

sample sample

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.