Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Interesting linguistic coincidence I noted in The Hobbit...

stridersGIRL
Bree

Mar 16 2007, 8:55pm

Post #1 of 10 (264 views)
Shortcut
Interesting linguistic coincidence I noted in The Hobbit... Can't Post

Thorin's friend who comes to his aid in the Battle of Five Armies is named Dain, who is the son of Nain. "Nain," in French, means "dwarf." wooo. :D

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2007, 12:41am

Post #2 of 10 (115 views)
Shortcut
How interesting! (n/t) [In reply to] Can't Post

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 17 2007, 1:21am

Post #3 of 10 (130 views)
Shortcut
coincidence? [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile
I know the name "Nain" comes from the list of dwarves in the Poetic Edda from which Tolkien borrowed the dwarf names as well as the name "Gandalf".

What's the etymology of "nain"? I don't speak enough French to know. Is the "na" part related to "little" or "tiny" like nano? Or to "child" like nino or ninno? I bet somewhere "nain" is related to words that mean "little".

~~~~~wait!! holy moly! just looked this up on Google (shoulda started there!!) and searched for "nano etymology" and found:

Greek nanos (with long "a"), nannos, little old man, dwarf, from nannas, meaning uncle.

OK, having arrived at some point or other I remain unsure of where I am and even if it means anything.

But you're right: it's cool!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worried 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
No one knows for certain, and so it's all the same to me:
I think I'll just let the mystery be.
~~~~Iris DeMent

Pallando
Lorien

Mar 17 2007, 1:22am

Post #4 of 10 (132 views)
Shortcut
The old Guy (capital G in reverence) never missed a trick, did he? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thorin's friend who comes to his aid in the Battle of Five Armies is named Dain, who is the son of Nain. "Nain," in French, means "dwarf." wooo. :D

For I also am a steward. Did you not know?

Bowsniper

Mar 17 2007, 2:47am

Post #5 of 10 (109 views)
Shortcut
Nay, he did not :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I started to crack open the 12th volume of Christopher's History... it's the only one I have left. It deals mostly with the languages, peoples, the appendices to ROTK, and the prologue to LOTR.

I've already put it aside again... I have too much going on in life right now to give the book the scholarly attention it needs; but before I did, I was stunned by how the depth of thought he was putting into his "translation" of the Westron (Common Speech), having "chosen" English as the language to represent it as....

The methodology that he gives for his choices of name places and people places, to try to convey the same sense in English that the original "Hobbit version of the Common Speech" did.... it reads for all the world like he really had discovered his own "Great Sea Scrolls" covered with real Westron, Quenya, Telerin, et al. It's fascinating.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 17 2007, 3:05am

Post #6 of 10 (104 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn, Bowsniper [In reply to] Can't Post

If only I had a nickel for every time I've cracked open any volume of HOME, then set it aside. Crazy

No. 12 sounds fascinating, and I hope you get back to it in due time. In the mean time, welcome! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 17 2007, 3:07am

Post #7 of 10 (99 views)
Shortcut
Nice find, StridersGIRL! [In reply to] Can't Post

...and even nicer to see you here!!! Smile

Glad you made it! Laugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Bowsniper

Mar 17 2007, 3:46am

Post #8 of 10 (98 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the welcome... [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I am a returning to TORN after a long journey in the Wild... Cool

I did not frequent the forums, but wielded my weapons over at Barliman's for quite awhile, until life became too consuming to allow a full time chat.

But I missed this place, and forums are much more life-friendly, to some degree :) Of course, Mrs. Bowsniper would say I need another forum like I need a hole in my head... but to that I say... "But dear... it's Tolkien stuff!" Smile

(This post was edited by Bowsniper on Mar 17 2007, 3:47am)

Pallando
Lorien

Mar 23 2007, 11:05pm

Post #9 of 10 (45 views)
Shortcut
So he's really a frog. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

For I also am a steward. Did you not know?

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 25 2007, 6:32am

Post #10 of 10 (72 views)
Shortcut
Well done [In reply to] Can't Post

That was great to not look up myself and still enjoy. Thanks!

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.