Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
OT (?) Of Hellboy II...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Sunflower
Valinor

Jun 4 2008, 5:40am

Post #51 of 68 (485 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

though, that when we are children or still quite young, we are much more open to different genres and experiences; and the older we get, oftentimes the more set in our reading habits we become, even as we become more set in our ways. Hopefully, we retain some of that spirit of innocence, openness, adventurousness and curiosity as we age, but more often than not, by the time many people reach their thirties they become more cautious in their habits and outlook on life, even as, in their reading habits , they prefer to seek out things that fit within their own preferred genre.

From the sound of it, the pairing of such disparate literary characters as Kirby, Victor Hugo, and Oscar Wilde would be a strange one, to an adult, anyway. But it is never too late, I guess, to begin a new literary quest. I have read all of the "mainstream" authors in your list (though completing the full Dickens canon would require a year by itself!, and finishing all of Les Miserables took me almost that long..lol...no, j/k, it was reading :'War And Peace" that took almost a year...yes, I actually have read the whole thing, inspired to do so by the viewing of Sergei Bondarchuk's masterpiece of cinematic adaptation of that book in the '60s.)

I guess you have inspired me to attempt to begin an exploration of the pulp fiction genre....not the first choice for a 30-something American woman, I guess:). But I must have been the only 7-yr-old girl in the State of Michigan with a Conan the Barbarian comic collection, so...

The real world around us grows increasingly surreal; and often the headlines inspire feelings of foreboding and dread; so I think diving into something (on the surface, anyway) completely escapist right now sounds about right.

I was going to start with At The Mountains of Madness, (just the title gives me goosebumps) but maybe there is a progressive order you could recommend to a newcomer to the genre, Sir?

And I can't resist the urge to drop this in....someone recently wondered if you would depict the scene in which Smaug eats the poor ponies. Of course I do not expect a literal rendition of this, not even in an "intense" PG-13 film (!), and OF COURSE I don't expect an answer from you to this question!--but I have to admit, every time I listen to your commentary for Pan's Labyrinth I can't help but get a big chuckle at your, um, vivid recollections of working with horses. Of course you DO know that any journey into Middle Earth will be one filled with horses! Though I suppose you lucked out in this regard, not having to shoot LOTR....

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Jun 4 2008, 5:44am)

Solicitr
Lorien

Jun 4 2008, 11:43am

Post #52 of 68 (397 views)
Shortcut
Not the reason [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Movies have become too safe, and most of what gets made these days has to fit in with established formulas. I attribute that to the ownership of the studios - all, or nearly all, are owned by public corporations. Those owners are motivated by quarterly results, and they are under tremendous pressure to make their numbers, if not to beat expectations.

You're correct as to the symptoms, but not the disease. No 'corporate' studio today is any worse about formulaic sausage-making than Mayer or Thalberg or Goldwyn or Warner were.

The great age of 'risk-taking', formula-busting movies from the major studios actually was the 1960's-early 1970's, precisely when the studios were first bought out by corporations: in large part because the new owners and their Harvard MBA's didn't know what to do with their new acquisitions and so largely left them alone on the 'creative' side.

(This post was edited by Solicitr on Jun 4 2008, 11:46am)

Gethsemane
The Shire

Jun 4 2008, 1:16pm

Post #53 of 68 (424 views)
Shortcut
those ears are far too pointy. [In reply to] Can't Post

(in responce to GDT)

Tbh ive got more faith in both yourself and PJ when it comes to the look of The Hobbit and well then there's John Howe and Alan Lee (they're on board right?) their guidance and imagery will be a most valuable asset on this journey. Tbh I'm thinking look of the 2nd film will be the most delicate of the 5. Still all that said thank-you for communicating your thoughts its most appreciated.

it's good to have an end to journey towards, but it's the journey that matters in the end

Earos tar-Alqualonde

Jun 4 2008, 2:37pm

Post #54 of 68 (407 views)
Shortcut
good taste [In reply to] Can't Post

I must say I admire your taste in reading! I'm always interested in anyone who is familiar with William Hope Hodgson.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 4 2008, 3:54pm

Post #55 of 68 (367 views)
Shortcut
I've watched Hellboy... [In reply to] Can't Post

a few times, and it's one of 'those' movies that I will watch when I come across it on the television. I had not read the comics before, but knew of the character. Am looking forward to Hellboy II. Pan's was great, my gf and I sat and watched one night, thought it was a great flick. I am not worried at this point, but more interested to see if I can see anything that matches stylistically in the upcoming films...
Can't wait to see these two new films, I'm going in with enthusiasm, excitement and above all an open mind. Can't wait!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Mithrandír
Lorien

Jun 4 2008, 4:52pm

Post #56 of 68 (378 views)
Shortcut
continuity backwards [In reply to] Can't Post

Its great and very reassuring to hear this from you, i think we all can agree on that the hobbit should have at least some of the same colors, feel and mood as the rings..perhaps a little lighter for a good prtion of the first movie, but the second should portray the growing fear and darkness in middle-earth, wich should be reflected in the colors you pick for the film, digital grading etc. also the score is in good hands seeing as howard shore is back. If you want some advice on how to portray gandalv in the films, call me ;) some of us feels that gandalv was robbed of some of his powers in the rings films, at least some of us who have read silmarillion and unfinished tales.

Good luck!

Norwegian fan.

merklynn
Lorien

Jun 4 2008, 5:30pm

Post #57 of 68 (365 views)
Shortcut
Elaboration... [In reply to] Can't Post

No problem, I can see how that might be confusing. One of the things I was interpreting Arathornjax saying that a different director is not a bad thing because it just means a different adaptation, and that uniqueness is good. I agree with his comment, and was just being sarcastic in asking whether it would still be okay if Sam Raimi had been chosen instead of GDT. IMO that would have me a lot more nervous because I don't think Raimi's range is as broad and a lot of his movies I just don't like.

I differ with MrCere in that I would not be excited about Sam Raimi directing. :-D

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 4 2008, 8:36pm

Post #58 of 68 (341 views)
Shortcut
How about Tarantino's hobbit? / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jun 4 2008, 9:02pm

Post #59 of 68 (432 views)
Shortcut
I'd watch that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't expect it to be the Hobbit move I'd want to see, but it's intriguing to think what he'd do with it.

Imagine if he took the incredibly linear Hobbit story line and pulp-fictioned it. There's a movie there, no doubt.

Notta

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jun 4 2008, 9:05pm

Post #60 of 68 (480 views)
Shortcut
ACK! GDT says The Hobbit will be done using wooden puppets!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked

Sorry, just causing trouble. Y'all can go back now to your real discussion.

Notta

(That ought to drag a few odd google searches to TORN....)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 4 2008, 9:12pm

Post #61 of 68 (331 views)
Shortcut
In Supermarionation!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, I loved Fireball XL5 as a kid. It's on my Netflix list.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jun 4 2008, 9:39pm

Post #62 of 68 (330 views)
Shortcut
"Kill Bilbo"? [In reply to] Can't Post

(I feel that joke has beeen used before on TORN -- probably by you.)

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Jun. 2-8 for "Flotsam and Jetsam".

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 4 2008, 11:38pm

Post #63 of 68 (299 views)
Shortcut
No worries here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just the difference in styles between Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth (both of which I loved) - not to mention the high quality of all your previous movies - are enough to reassure me about your ability to do justice to The Hobbit. I am quite, quite happy to have you in the director's chair for this story I care so much about; and I look forward to hearing more from you about it right here. Smile

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

(This post was edited by Kyriel on Jun 4 2008, 11:39pm)

Eruthurin
Rivendell

Jun 4 2008, 11:55pm

Post #64 of 68 (311 views)
Shortcut
Yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

+1 with you! .... :D :D :D :D
I've been GDT-fan since "La Hora Marcada", a TV show in Mexico that was on air in the 80's....
and so when "Cronos".... wow... simply I fell in love with his pictures!!!!.... not to mention the last ones!!!!...

:: All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you ::
Tapatía Orgullosa de tener al paisano Zapopano en el Hobbit!.... :D

(This post was edited by Eruthurin on Jun 4 2008, 11:56pm)

deej
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2008, 2:14pm

Post #65 of 68 (281 views)
Shortcut
i'd kind of like to see Henry Selick's version [In reply to] Can't Post

He did 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' and 'James and the Giant Peach' - a stop-motion version of 'The Hobbit' could be very cool if done by the right people.

"...and back again."

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 5 2008, 3:49pm

Post #66 of 68 (315 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking "Reservoir Dwarves" / [In reply to] Can't Post

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jun 15 2008, 12:28am

Post #67 of 68 (280 views)
Shortcut
Art....and Hellboy [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, Wyeth....N.C. is my fav for his book covers....Parrish is intense..now you have me on a hunt for some of those names you mentioned...

I just bought the Hellboy special edition dvd....totally cool...first time seeing your movie and I will post seperately about it.

I am now completely psyched for The Hobbit!

Nickey08
Bree

Aug 30 2008, 5:24am

Post #68 of 68 (213 views)
Shortcut
I have to ask about the Earth Elemental and the Prince... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear GDT,

Both the Prince and the Earth Elemental seemed to be heavily influenced by a Japanese Animation background. The Prince was so beautiful in all of his movements, which seems inherent of the better quality Anime protagonists or antagonists. Whereas the Earth Elemental reminded me quite a bit of the Forest God in Hayao Miyazaki's "Mononoke Hime". I was wondering if you drew any of your influences from these sources?

Thanks!
-Nickey08

http://www.myspace.com/nickeydrayer

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.