Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Official Introduction & Welcome Thread
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Toru771
The Shire

May 31 2008, 9:57am

Post #151 of 666 (171748 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, all! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings, fellow Tolkien fans!

I'm James, and I'm originally from Hawaii but am currently going to college in Japan. My first exposure to J.R.R. Tolkien's works came in 1998. I was 10, and my dad introduced me to the animated version of The Hobbit. I loved it, and read the book shortly afterward. I also got to hear a very good audiobook of the story . . . Not sure which it was, but it had a large cast that really got into the performance -- sang the songs and all, and ended each side of the tape with a rendition of the Dwarves' song, "Over the Misty Mountains Cold."

My next exposure to the world of Middle-Earth was in 2001, with the release of the Fellowship of the Ring film. I was completely entranced by the story, the visuals, the acting . . . everything about it. I knew I had to find out more, and managed to read the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy before the Two Towers film was released. I adored all three films, even when they occasionally strayed from Tolkien's words, and loved the extended DVDs even more.

In the fall of 2006, I got an excellent opportunity -- I was starting college, and found out that one of the professors was starting an English class in which students would get to read, study, and discuss Tolkien's works. It was mainly focused on The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, but also used selected portions of The Silmarillion. I signed up to become one of the class's first students, did very well in the class, and had great fun with it. Besides studying the books, we also got to look at the films and even learned to write our names and simple phrases in Quenya! Our professor also introduced us to Tol Andúnë, the Hawaii smial of the Tolkien Society. Dad and I are now proud members who regularly go to the events and parties that our founders organize. Cool

I'm looking forward to the Hobbit film, especially now that Peter Jackson is confirmed as the executive producer (and since I'm confident that Guillermo Del Toro will stay true to the spirit of the book and PJ's films). I look forward to discussing Tolkien's works and the films based on them, and also to making new friends here on TORN!

May a star shine on the hour of our meeting.
~ James

(This post was edited by Toru771 on May 31 2008, 10:00am)

deej
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2008, 12:35pm

Post #152 of 666 (172884 views)
Shortcut
Welcome toru771 [In reply to] Can't Post

That's fantastic that you had such a cool professor! I remember one of my college professors saying that Tolkien wasn't 'serious' enough to teach. Crazy

Anyhow, glad you found your way here and I hope you enjoy your stay!

"...and back again."

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 5 2008, 5:44am

Post #153 of 666 (173376 views)
Shortcut
Reminds me of an English teacher I had... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That's fantastic that you had such a cool professor! I remember one of my college professors saying that Tolkien wasn't 'serious' enough to teach. Crazy

She said to us, "We're scheduled to study Romeo and Juliet this year, but it's utter tripe so we're doing Othello instead."

Crazy Laugh

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

sador
Half-elven

Jul 13 2008, 12:57pm

Post #154 of 666 (169881 views)
Shortcut
It fits [In reply to] Can't Post

It took me some three years since I first stumbled across TORn to click the link saying 'message boards', so some eight months untill I notice this thread is quite an improvement...
And that's probably the most revealing thing I could say about myself.Unimpressed

"Don't make jokes about it," hissed Gollum. "It isn't funny. O no! Not amusing. It's not sense to try and get into Mordor at all."
"I am commanded to go to the land of Mordor, and therefore I shall go" - said Frodo.
Sam frowned... his mind was full of doubt.
------------------------------------------------------------
The Black Gate is closed,
but the Reading Room discussion is open.
July 7th-13th.

frodo-lives

Jul 14 2008, 1:23pm

Post #155 of 666 (171586 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I FINALLY signed up on TORN... :happy dance: - ahum, I better introduce myself.

I've been aware of the site and sort-of following it ever since FotR came out, at one stage wrote an email to Tehanu about one of her very smart articles to tell her how much I liked it, she responded by inviting me to perform music at the Ringer's party in Wellington on the eve of the RotK premiere... the pieces I prepared for that gig eventually grew into a full-blown "Travels in Middle-earth" programme which I've recently recorded on cd.... but for some reason I've never actually signed up for the TORN message boards, although I've been a member of a couple of other LotR-related fan communities on the net. Shame on me.

Well, I hear they're doing this whole new movie, so here goes my proverbial second chance. :D

What else is there to say - I read The Hobbit when I was about 10 or 11 and sort of liked it, then got completely hooked on LotR when about 16 and spent a few years living in Middle-earth (and liked the Hobbit much better after that) -- started painting images inspired by the books, learned harp because it is mentioned in Tolkien's writings so frequently and seemed a cool instrument, pushed Tolkien fandom to the back of my mind for about ten years while trying to be a sensible person, got completely bowled over by FotR-the-moivie and found myself living in Wellington a year and three months after first seeing the movie. Which was a series of a whole lot of unlikely lucky chances, so I like to assume it was meant to be.

Was here for the RotK premiere, have started painting a lot more and harping a lot less in the last few years, and eventually fulfilled a long-hedged dream to go to film school (well, actually it was more like multimedia design school but everybody there was dreaming about one day working for Weta of course), and learned about digital video, special effects and 3D modeling and animation. And Web design. And a whole lot of other stuff. :D

So here I am waiting for the future to happen.

:big wave: to everyone out there.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jul 14 2008, 3:16pm

Post #156 of 666 (170877 views)
Shortcut
*waves back* [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome, Frodo-lives!
Your life has obviously been influenced quite a bit by Tolkien! With *that* biography, I'd expect that you will feel at home here Wink
Have fun - and I hope to read more from you soon!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2008, 8:28am

Post #157 of 666 (176564 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that is quite an awesome history :) Welcome to TORn! Join in the fun!

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Gondorian_Ranger
Rivendell

Jul 15 2008, 10:03pm

Post #158 of 666 (167245 views)
Shortcut
Hello [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I'm Jamie and I live in Scotland. I joined TORn on Sunday because I needed to find somewhere that could appease my hunger for news about the Hobbit and F2. It's good to be somewhere that my Lord of the Rings obsession won't be met with scorn. Since Sunday I've been getting around the boards as much as possible and making my contribution Smile

"The city of Osgiliath has been reclaimed, FOR GONDOR!"

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 15 2008, 10:14pm

Post #159 of 666 (195283 views)
Shortcut

It's great to see you here G_R. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elwen
Lorien

Aug 7 2008, 6:11pm

Post #160 of 666 (172130 views)
Shortcut
Old newbie or new oldie? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure, but I'm glad to be back.

I joined the old Torn a long time ago. (Around the 1st movie I think.) Anyway, I was around quite a bit and loved it, but I stopped working in late 2004 after having my daughter and consequently didn't have a computer at my disposal all day. Now I'm hoping to be able to be back to my online escapades.

I first read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings when I was 10 (almost 20 years ago now...you do the math- it pains me) My mom was and is an avid Tolkien fan and I grew up with her enthusiasm for the story until it infected me. I read the books at least once a year and am enjoying it right now.

About me a little bit: I'm from New York. I graduated from Cornell University with a degree in Cell Biology in 2000. Shortly after graduating, I married my wonderful Ranger. We've lived in Missouri, Florida, and now are in central Pennsylvania, which I find one of the more gorgeous places I have had the opportunity to live. My little elf-child is now 4 and we have two ferocious (in their minds) dachshunds.

I love hiking, reading, music, and would like to get back into theatre. (If I ever find the time.)

Salty Coqui
Rivendell

Aug 7 2008, 10:48pm

Post #161 of 666 (171394 views)
Shortcut
Hi I'm Salty! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello, I've been wandering the website for awhile and finally decided to sign up here.
I've read the Hobbit and LOTR books. I have the LOTR extended dvd edition. There is alot I like and don't like about both the books and the movies. So I'm here to discuss and listen. I mean read, of course. I promise I will not disturb the peace here.
Wink

prince_david

Aug 8 2008, 3:13pm

Post #162 of 666 (178077 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Salty [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome Salty! Glad to see more people joining up today

Elemmírë

Aug 26 2008, 6:41pm

Post #163 of 666 (175883 views)
Shortcut
Hello [In reply to] Can't Post

My name is Katya, I'm 38 and live about 35 miles south of Boston, MA. I've lurked among you all for years but feel like it's time to come out of the shadows.

What can I say? I love many authors but none more than Tolkien so it's nice to be here!

Cheers,

Katya

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more,
From these our interviews, in which I steal
From all I may be, or have been before,
To mingle with the Universe, and feel
What I can ne'er express, yet cannot all conceal.

~George Gordon, Lord Byron~

deej
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2008, 6:45pm

Post #164 of 666 (177457 views)
Shortcut

Glad you decided to de-lurk. Smile

"...and back again."

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Aug 26 2008, 8:13pm

Post #165 of 666 (175306 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you decided to de-lurk and join the fun. I'm sure you will enjoy talking to like-minded people, particularly now that the Hobbit movie is underway! Hope to see more of you on these boards.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 10 2008, 7:45pm

Post #166 of 666 (174453 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I remember you from the old days. Hope you'll stick around!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Elwen
Lorien

Sep 10 2008, 7:59pm

Post #167 of 666 (173808 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping to.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember you as well. I just started a job where I sit in front of a computer all day, so it should be easier for me to stay around here than get work done. ;)

I heard Elwen is out of hiding after 4 years. You didn't see me here.

Robras

Oct 10 2008, 9:07pm

Post #168 of 666 (174057 views)
Shortcut
I suppose I should toss a "well, thank you" somewhere up there [In reply to] Can't Post

I do believe that, since I've been reading this fora for quite a few years, now, and never ever have posted anything, I owe many a thanks to all of you. And since I don't want to pollute any of the other fora, even if I read almost solely the Reading Room ( not having much idle time due to a sudden rush of work as never seen in my life ( consdering you don't even ever read me, consider this as useless babbling ), I suppose here is the best place to begin and thank people. Besides, off-topic fora do fit me. So, I thank each and everyone of you for posting as you post, reading as you read and acting as you act and being what you are. Maybe this would pass unmarked, but it is past-time I thank you.

Vale

Nec reparare novas vires, multumque priori
Credere fortunae, stat magni nominis umbra.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2008, 9:09pm

Post #169 of 666 (176576 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful post! Welcome to ToRN! I hope you enjoy it here!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 13 2008, 4:54am

Post #170 of 666 (171152 views)
Shortcut
I hope [In reply to] Can't Post

this doesn't mean this is going to be your "only" post.

Look forward to seeing you around the boards Smile

Cheers
Kelvarhin x

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa
An Valinor, lissë Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

morganlyfe
Rivendell

Dec 3 2008, 4:00am

Post #171 of 666 (167806 views)
Shortcut
Hello Everyone ^_^ [In reply to] Can't Post

My name is Morgan (yes, that is my real name, and “Ly” and “Fe” are the first two letters of my middle and last name; though the resemblance it bears to Morgan Le Fay is a plus) I just joined here the other day, but I’ve been visiting on and off for the past ten years or so. My mom use to be a member, but that was ages ago and I doubt she was ever very active.

Anyway, I am, of course, a Tolkien fan. I have been practically since the day I was born, as my mother is (and always has been) a huge fan herself. I grew up watching the old cartoons (which I loved with a passion), particularly The Hobbit, and listening to my parents read me the books. I have tons of hilarious stories revolving around them as well, if anyone ever wants to hear about them. I distinctively remember a time about a year before the “real” movies came out, when we were sitting around the dinner table and I asked my mom “Hey, mommy, do you remember that movie where the scary black mean attacked the dwarves but they were really pillows?” But I wasn’t great at pronouncing dwarves, so it came out more like “Drawers.” And my mom just looked at my dad and was like “What have you been showing our kids!?” Eventually, and after a lot of confusion, we came to realize it was the lotr cartoon. That was when I was told there would be new movies, and I went back and read the books before they came out.

I love both the books and the movies, though I don’t like the Return of the King movie as much as the others. I really like to follow the story of Frodo and Sam, and I think that could have been more prominent in the movie. But that’s just my opinion.

I’m now 18 and a freshman in college, which is so weird to say :P I lucked out and got awesome suite mates who I spend the majority of time with (though they did at first call me “that weird Frodo Girl”) and it’s really a lot of fun. I haven’t decided on a major yet, but it’s between Film, Creative Writing, and Philosophy. I love reading, writing, and working on films, if that wasn’t clear enough in the last sentence.

I also liking talking to new people and making new friends, so hopefully that’ll happen here! :D

I'm going to try to attach a picture... let's see if this works, lol. It's not the best or most recent picture, but it's me. (Taken at waffle house at 2 in the morning... my room mates get hungry like hobbits!)

(This post was edited by morganlyfe on Dec 3 2008, 4:02am)

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Dec 3 2008, 5:46am

Post #172 of 666 (176425 views)
Shortcut
Hi Morganlyfe [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the boards, noticed your nick when I got back, it's always lovely to meet and greet new friends.

*hugs*
Kelvarhin

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa
An Valinor, lissë Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Nimloth
Lorien

Dec 7 2008, 6:40pm

Post #173 of 666 (190229 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Morgan [In reply to] Can't Post

This is THE place to be as we count down to The Hobbit Smile. You'll have fun here Wink.

Círtolthiel

Jan 12 2009, 4:06am

Post #174 of 666 (186264 views)
Shortcut
And again... [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I change my email and such so frequently...I have a new profile...again.

Hey guys, you may know me as AbsintheFaerie, or more commonly Glorindiel. Yea. I'm back!

I'm now 19, living in Ames, Iowa, going to Iowa State University, and going into Design. Yay!

Photobucket
It was twenty years ago today,
Gaffer Gamgee taught the band to play
They’ve been going in and out of style
But they’re guaranteed to raise a smile.
So may I introduce to you
The hobbits you’ve known for all these years,
Gaffer Gamgee’s Lonely Hobbits Club Band!

Nimloth
Lorien

Jan 12 2009, 6:28pm

Post #175 of 666 (181539 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back [In reply to] Can't Post

Cirtolthiel Smile. Are you a Beatles fan?

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.