Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So apparently the top choices for Bilbo are James McAvoy, Daniel Radcliffe and Jack Black
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

beleg

May 30 2008, 3:51pm

Post #176 of 238 (5271 views)
Shortcut
not exactly what I was getting at [In reply to] Can't Post

Well...then there's the fact that when it comes to the difference in the way a hobbit looks at 33 and 50 probably isn't very big, ring or no ring.

BUT what I was saying originally was that none of that *really* matters because the hobbit movie should be consistent with the LOTR movie. So Bilbo should generally look a bit older to start out with anyway.

FarFromHome
Valinor

May 30 2008, 3:57pm

Post #177 of 238 (5375 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien had his little jokes [In reply to] Can't Post

no question about that. But the one you're ascribing to him seems pretty weak, if it is one.

In Reply To
Tolkien the university professor, the man who spent his life dealing with college students in their Tweens, was having one of his wry pokes again...

The joke really is that hobbits are so very much like us, and yet they aren't. We can't really tell how old they might have looked to us. Certainly Bergil mistakes Pippin for a boy - and not just because of his height, since he sees him close up. Pippin is 29, a tween in hobbit-years, certainly "quite old" in man-years, as Bergil says. But Pippin apparently doesn't look like a 29-year-old man. We don't really know what adult, or tween, hobbits look like, do we? With their beardless faces maybe they would look quite childlike to us, even when they're of age. That's one of the neat ambiguities you get when you create a race that's just unfamiliar enough to leave the reader guessing.

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

(This post was edited by FarFromHome on May 30 2008, 3:58pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

May 30 2008, 4:01pm

Post #178 of 238 (5919 views)
Shortcut
I get the joke. [In reply to] Can't Post

But that joke is just a reader's interpretation, even if that reader is Christopher Tolkien -- unless you mean that he has told you that his father in conversation or unpublished writings confirmed that hobbits mature no more slowly than humans and that by "tweens" and a late coming of age, his father meant to mock the idea of "adults" in their twenties. After all, J.R.R. Tolkien himself was a war veteran, married and a father of two while still in his twenties. And in Éomer, he wrote a character who becomes a king at age 28.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us May 26-Jun. 1 for "The Road to Isengard".

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 30 2008, 4:51pm

Post #179 of 238 (5400 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

A few years more or less aren't a problem, I think. Bilbo shouldn't look like a 20-year-old human (and certainly older than Frodo looked when he left), but not like a 50-year-old one, either. Something in between, and I am happy.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 30 2008, 4:57pm

Post #180 of 238 (5267 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

You are stating your claim as if it was explicitly explained by JRRT himself, so I wanted to know where I might find that, as I've never ever heard of that or read it somewhere.
OTOH, from what I said, it should be obvious that I stated *my opinion*, not claimed to quote any authority.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 30 2008, 4:59pm

Post #181 of 238 (5012 views)
Shortcut
And is that [In reply to] Can't Post

any proof that they are not accepted as mature? I know enough people who live at the same house as their parents and are still very decidedly adult.

fingolfin_nc
Bree

May 30 2008, 5:52pm

Post #182 of 238 (5367 views)
Shortcut
That's exactly why I think Hugh Bonneville ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... would be an excellent choice for Bilbo and am curious as to your thoughts.

fingolfin_nc
Bree

May 30 2008, 5:55pm

Post #183 of 238 (5713 views)
Shortcut
That's exactly why I think Hugh Bonneville ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... would make an excellent Bilbo and am curious as to your thoughts.

Patty
Immortal

May 30 2008, 5:57pm

Post #184 of 238 (5225 views)
Shortcut
I just listened to Hugh Bonneville's voice doing the commerical on that link... [In reply to] Can't Post

that IS Bilbo!

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

kei-shan

May 30 2008, 6:23pm

Post #185 of 238 (4944 views)
Shortcut
Don't judge so easily [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm, reading all the comments I've realized most of you are judging these actors without having seeing most of his work.

For example, Daniel Radcliffe is the most talented and versatile young British actor at the moment. I see most of you just know him for the Harry Potter movies, but lately he has been playing other roles and even if I didn't like him before, after watching some of his new works I have to admit he is really good.
He can do cinema, theatre, tv... all. Comedy, action, drama... He just have to take those glasses and scar off and you forget he plays Harry Potter.
About his personality, he has a lot of charisma (much more than most older actors) and he remembers me to Elijah, both seem to be very nice people and humble, and with a great capacity to laugh about themselves (just watch Ricky Gervais' Extras series).
Also, after seeing him playing Alan Strang in the theatre, which is probably one of the most difficult roles in theatre history, I can easy say that YES, he can be the next Sir Ian Holm.
I don't know if some of you have had the pleasure to see Mr Holm playing in the theatre, but he has a great stage presence even being so small, and Radcliffe is like that too, he is a short man but he has an amazing stage presence which actually remembered me to Ian Holm much before all this Bilbo talking started.
So please, son't judge people so easily.

If it wouldn't be because he is still too young, I could see him playing Bilbo. Although now I think about it, he is the same age Elijah was when he played Frodo for the firt time. But Radcliffe has proyects for the next years already so it's impossible anyway.

About James McAvoy, the problem I have with him is he remembers me more to an elf than a hobbit. And I like all the movies he has done lately, but it was always the same type of character. The only fantasy character I have seen him play was in Narnia, and it was quite a childish character (in the sense that it was very "fairy tail-ish") so I can not really judge that. But all the other things I've seen him doing are always the same, quite serious roles. I've never seen him playing something like comedy, so I don't really know if he would be the perfect choice for the role.

Same with Jack Black, but all the opposite, because I have never seen him playing something serious.

I guess I need to see more of their movies, but I hope they have other people in mind, not James McAvoy, sorry, he is too much "the-Orlando-Bloom-type"...

(This post was edited by kei-shan on May 30 2008, 6:33pm)

Patty
Immortal

May 30 2008, 6:29pm

Post #186 of 238 (5166 views)
Shortcut
Nerwen... [In reply to] Can't Post

your pic from "The Illusionist" is now my new desktop background. I would have never thought I'd find Ed Norton sexy, but hey, there was something about that movie!

Thanks.

Notallwhowanderarelost
The Shire

May 30 2008, 6:36pm

Post #187 of 238 (5447 views)
Shortcut
Not to worry [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile I think we are all getting blithery! This is a lot of fun. And I love how GDT is taking such an interest in letting us know what is going on.
I love directors who are in touch with their audience and around here he and PJ literally are!Laugh

If I was a Hobbit I would definitely be a Took no matter how much I'd rather be a Baggins.

luvgabe
The Shire

May 30 2008, 6:51pm

Post #188 of 238 (5315 views)
Shortcut
Paul Giamatti? No, no, no, a thousand times no! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
My vote is for Paul Giamatti... recently in "John Adams" on HBO (I think!) and did the orangutan part, Limbo, in the remake of "Planet of the Apes"... He has just the right whiney, wheedly, bourgeoisness, simpering love of comfort that could turn in to real moral fibre and toughness!!

Sorry, but the idea of Paul Giamatti as Bilbo is simply too horrible to contemplate. Even worse than Daniel Radcliffe or Jack Black. Giamatti is way too "New York" whiney. He is also completely without charisma.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." --Gandalf the Grey

Patty
Immortal

May 30 2008, 7:05pm

Post #189 of 238 (5048 views)
Shortcut
What would you think of him as Balin? [In reply to] Can't Post

If he could manage the accent?

kei-shan

May 30 2008, 7:06pm

Post #190 of 238 (5057 views)
Shortcut
Very talented [In reply to] Can't Post

In my opinion the problem is not the actor, the problem is the way those movies are done. I don't know, having read the books, I think they could make much better movies. But with those weak scripts it is very little the actor can do.
One of the best things they did with the LotR movies is they centered the movies around Frodo, they didn't included things which were not directly related to him, that make everything to have a sense. I hope they do the same with The Hobbit movies. With the HP movies they don't do that. For example, there are secondary characters that have more lines and time than the main character, that's senless and makes the movie weak and pointless. They put too many scenes in too little time, so there is no way an actor can develop a character in the way it is developed in more than 5000 pages of those books.
Even so, I don't know how, but he still manages to show many of the characteristics of the character, like his fears and goodness, and he has a tremedous chemistry with all other actors.
And last, but not less important, this actor has grow up doing stunts, he is probably the best actor in the world working with special effects, if you know all the things he has had to do... and that's a very good profile for a fantasy movie.

If you've seen David Copperfield, he was very young there but quite good. Radcliffe is like the Elijah Wood of his generation, but more versatile because he is doing theatre which is something young Hollywood actors don't do. In my opinion theatre is where people show if they are real actors or not. In front of a camara... the director can make it look good even if the actor or actress doesn't even know how to say 2 consecutive words.

So, for me it wouldn't be crazy to consider him for the role, if it wasn't because he has 2 HP movies to film and after that another one called Jouney, which I think can be an excellent movie btw.

luvgabe
The Shire

May 30 2008, 7:11pm

Post #191 of 238 (5234 views)
Shortcut
Giamatti as Balin? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If he could manage the accent?

Giamatti as Balin makes much better sense. He really is more dwarf than hobbit. Regardless, while I think he is a good actor, I'm just not enamored with him. My preference is for the Balin role be given to a British or Australian/Kiwi actor.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." --Gandalf the Grey

beleg

May 30 2008, 7:13pm

Post #192 of 238 (5462 views)
Shortcut
it's in the math [In reply to] Can't Post

It's all coming from Appendix B in LOTR. I think that's what you meant?

Jettorex
Lorien

May 30 2008, 7:19pm

Post #193 of 238 (5107 views)
Shortcut
Hugh Bonneville is Bilbo! [In reply to] Can't Post

The second I saw his face-its Bilbo. that is how I pictured him while reading the Hobbit. He also looks alot like Ian.

Love, Truth, Honor, Adventure

luvgabe
The Shire

May 30 2008, 7:21pm

Post #194 of 238 (5160 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman does look like a hobbit! [In reply to] Can't Post

Prompted by the pro-MartinFreeman posters here, I checked out his website. I'm not familiar with his work, but he DOES look like a hobbit! http://www.martinfreeman.com/index.php?page=287

Solicitr
Gondor

May 30 2008, 7:23pm

Post #195 of 238 (4695 views)
Shortcut
Note [In reply to] Can't Post

that Aragorn was adjudged an 'adult' at twenty- even though the Dunedain lived even longer than hobbits, and Elessar himself would crack 200.

kei-shan

May 30 2008, 7:29pm

Post #196 of 238 (5227 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Hugh Bonneville! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes! I totally agree, he has the hobbit looks.
James McAvoy has elf looks, he is too thin. I think Hugh Bonneville wold be perfect!

Patty
Immortal

May 30 2008, 8:04pm

Post #197 of 238 (5235 views)
Shortcut
But listen to his VOICE on the link provided above... [In reply to] Can't Post

he even sounds a lot like Sir Ian in that first credit card commericial.

Uncanny.

Woodyend
Gondor

May 30 2008, 8:16pm

Post #198 of 238 (5516 views)
Shortcut
But the appendices are in Return of the King. [In reply to] Can't Post

Therefore they should be covered under the agreement. Most of the Aragorn, Arwen story in the three movies came directly from the appendix in Return of the King.

In Reply To
JRRT's 1969 film-license agreement applies specifically to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, only. Nothing outside the covers of those books falls within the rights Zaentz/NL/TW own.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

Solicitr
Gondor

May 30 2008, 8:23pm

Post #199 of 238 (5067 views)
Shortcut
Ah, but [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently the Agreements (which I hope to get my hands on soon) specifically *excluded* any part of the Appendices having to do with the First and Sercond Ages.

Woodyend
Gondor

May 30 2008, 8:31pm

Post #200 of 238 (5264 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the info. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Apparently the Agreements (which I hope to get my hands on soon) specifically *excluded* any part of the Appendices having to do with the First and Sercond Ages.

So what does that leave us with in the appendices?

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.