Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So apparently the top choices for Bilbo are James McAvoy, Daniel Radcliffe and Jack Black
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Unspoken_Request
Bree

May 29 2008, 2:52pm

Post #26 of 238 (6263 views)
Shortcut
Black and Radcliffe? That must be a joke! [In reply to] Can't Post

This whole thing is very low on credibility simply because of these two names.

How could the audience see past Jack Black and Daniel Radcliffe's previous roles? It's impossible. No one in their right mind would chose them.

Jack Black!?!?!?!?!?! I can't believe they would be that stupid. I like the guy, but come on! He can't play Bilbo!!?? Any appearance of Jack Black in anything related to LOTR will instantly remind me of his MTV stunt with Sarah Michelle Gellar where the ring is attached to Black's private parts (easter egg FOTR:EE).
No director would choose Black. This would make the whole project a big farce. Can you imagine the headlines? "The guy who had the One Ring attached to his penis on MTV will be playing Bilbo..."

Now, Radcliffe is Harry Potter!!!! He can't have the first role in another fantasy tale without the audience seeing Harry Potter first. Radcliffe would have the odds stacked against him. He would have to pull out an incredible performance for the audience to forget the last 6 or 7 Harry Potter movies he will have played in once The Hobbit is released. Kids would expect him to pull out a wand and transform the ring into HP's famous cloak of invisibility... Too distracting.

You can't have these kind of reknown actors closely associated to pop culture into the movies!!! If you want to immerse people into Middle Earth, you can't cast such actors.

On James McAvoy: He seems a bit to thin for my taste (even compared to Elijah he seems to have a more slender build) but despite that he would be a good choice. His face has both innocence and a capacity for wonder that would work for Bilbo (as he discover the world outside the shire).

SeanDuff
The Shire

May 29 2008, 2:52pm

Post #27 of 238 (6168 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Bilbo should be age appropriate. Older but not as old as LOTR.

(This post was edited by Altaira on May 29 2008, 6:47pm)

merklynn
Lorien

May 29 2008, 2:58pm

Post #28 of 238 (6211 views)
Shortcut
Inspired choice for Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't seriously believe either Radcliffe or Black are being considered, or that they could ever possibly pull off such a role. Radcliffe (IMO guys) can not act, and Black is not much better outside of comedy. McAvoy however, whether he is really being considered or not, is top class. He is an oscar worthy actor and he has a Hobbit/Bilbo look about him that I think would be magical. I realize the immediate complaint will probably be, "oh he's too young", but big deal.. he's a Hobbit and we know timelines may get skewed for the film anyway.

I'm all in favor of McAvoy, as poor old Martin Freeman is probably going to be stigmatized as a comic actor for the rest of his life. Too bad Hitchhikers Guide did so poorly otherwise he might have gained enough exposure by now through a second film to start making a bigger career in Hollywood. He deserves it. But McAvoy is definitely an inspired choice and I am 100% behind the idea.

Now the question is for me, did PJ and GDt ever really say or suggest this to anyone, or is this all made up? It did come from a British Newspaper as a source, and that is not good credentials. Already people are buying into the Times article about Christopher Tolkien and snowballing the misinformation. I hate that sort of thing.

Go McAvoy!

FarFromHome
Valinor

May 29 2008, 3:00pm

Post #29 of 238 (5872 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Bilbo in my mind would appear roughly the same age as he did in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

In FotR, Gandalf is clearly surprised that Bilbo hasn't "aged a day". But it's not 60 years since he saw him - even the hobbit children recognize Gandalf, so he must have visited at least every few years.

Here's what may be more likely - the Ring has started to grow stronger over the last few years, and so Bilbo's natural aging has suddenly slowed down. That may be what's so surprising to Gandalf. He's used to seeing Bilbo age naturally - in fact this may be one of the things that has reassured him that Bilbo's ring isn't dangerous. Now he's surprised and worried because Bilbo's natural aging process has stopped.

If Bilbo's aging process had stopped right away after he found the ring, Gandalf would have been surprised a long time before this.

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

jglonek

May 29 2008, 3:03pm

Post #30 of 238 (6212 views)
Shortcut
Makes sense.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
Bilbo in my mind would appear roughly the same age as he did in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

In FotR, Gandalf is clearly surprised that Bilbo hasn't "aged a day". But it's not 60 years since he saw him - even the hobbit children recognize Gandalf, so he must have visited at least every few years.

Actually ok that does make sense, the Hobbit children are happy to see him and I think that even Frodo mentions that the townsfolk has come up with a name for Gandolf right? So it would be safe to assume he has visited in the years since Bilbo found the ring.

But that's also only really noticeable if you look deeper in the story. Gandolf's comment of "You haven't aged a day!" definitely seems to be directly related to when he found the ring at first glance.

RangerGirl

May 29 2008, 3:13pm

Post #31 of 238 (6542 views)
Shortcut
McAvoy belongs in this movie [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, I always thought McAvoy would be a good Bard. He's who I had in my mind when reading the book, but having him as Bilbo wouldn't bother me one bit.

But McAvoy does have the hobbity hair.

leo
Rohan

May 29 2008, 3:20pm

Post #32 of 238 (6238 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a load of rubbish to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I am sure they might be considering McAvoy, the other choices just sound too easy. And besides, both GDT and PJ said we wouldn't get any gossip on this for at least a year. I doubt this is a very well grounded rumor then...

leo
Rohan

May 29 2008, 3:21pm

Post #33 of 238 (6034 views)
Shortcut
I still think you should play Bilbo calisuri... [In reply to] Can't Post

You are definitely small enough :P

Voorhas
Lorien

May 29 2008, 3:22pm

Post #34 of 238 (5793 views)
Shortcut
This is Total Hogwash... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and reads more like Ain't It Cool fan-casting to me ("Bruce Campbell should play Superman, Iron Man, Batman, the rebooted Indiana Jones, Mark Twain, Abraham Lincoln, etc., etc.").

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." -- E.A. Poe

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29 2008, 3:24pm

Post #35 of 238 (6682 views)
Shortcut
Heh heh... Calisuri for Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

How cute, we should start a TORn exclusive petition Wink

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

luvgabe
The Shire

May 29 2008, 3:49pm

Post #36 of 238 (6057 views)
Shortcut
Radcliffe as Bilbo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Have the anti-Daniel Radcliffe people seen December Boys? He was really quite good in that movie and was in no way evocative of Harry Potter. But I do tend to agree with the skeptics on this forum. Radcliffe is too identified with the Harry Potter role to be believable as Bilbo.

Jack Black as Bilbo would make the whole thing into a farce. Where are other short-to-medium-height talented actors? The Lord of the Rings trilogy struck a gold mine with hobbit actors, such as Elijah Wood. Certainly there must be more viable candidates for The Hobbit than the three names floated thus far!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." --Gandalf the Grey

Artanis
Rohan

May 29 2008, 3:51pm

Post #37 of 238 (5989 views)
Shortcut
On narniaweb.com [In reply to] Can't Post

it says that film bosses are close to signing James McAvoy Laugh. I think it is a matter of waiting till PJ and GDT confirm themselves....like its less than a week ago since they said it would be a year till they announed anyone, and all these ghastly "celeb" sites seem to be quoting from the chat last week.Crazy

Nonetheless I am warming to McAvoy as Bilbo...and having to use my imagination a little with regards to his age etc.Wink

Also the luvgabe above is right....all those "unknown" actors that were a perfect fit for their characters..........there really must be others around like the previous poster said

Artanis

(This post was edited by Artanis on May 29 2008, 3:55pm)

deej
Tol Eressea

May 29 2008, 3:57pm

Post #38 of 238 (6513 views)
Shortcut
Although Bilbo may not have aged that much, Sir Ian Holm has. [In reply to] Can't Post

They might be able to do what they did in 'LotR' with the facelift tape and makeup, but would Sir Ian want to go through all of that for a much longer period of time?

"...and back again."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 29 2008, 4:08pm

Post #39 of 238 (6179 views)
Shortcut
hmmmm... Jack Black or Daniel? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nope. Ain't gonna happen, nohow.

McAvoy? *scratches chin* More likely than the other 2 as a possible candidate. Most of the time, names become more prominent because they're passed on from an original observation/prediction and then spread out making them seem more credible.

No. Mr. Black and Mr. Radcliffe are so not right for this "everyman" part.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Patty
Immortal

May 29 2008, 4:09pm

Post #40 of 238 (5922 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to have to "trust PJ"... [In reply to] Can't Post

cause NONE of these work for this role, to me. Hugh Bonneville, whom someone suggested in the other Bilbo casting thread, would be absolutely perfect. He looks like a younger Sir Ian, is much less high- profile than any of those other excellent- acting but inappropriate choices . And he can act very well, too.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

(This post was edited by Patty on May 29 2008, 4:12pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 29 2008, 4:10pm

Post #41 of 238 (6350 views)
Shortcut
"The Studios" should have caught on by now [In reply to] Can't Post

that when it comes to Peter and Fran for casting... it's best to go out for an extended lunch and leave them the blazes alone!

sample sample

Elven
Valinor

May 29 2008, 4:11pm

Post #42 of 238 (5893 views)
Shortcut
so this is just a fake then ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink bwahaha!!!

Id give credit where credit is due, but Im not sure of the source ...

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 29 2008, 4:13pm

Post #43 of 238 (6035 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm afraid he's been [In reply to] Can't Post

type cast already. At ORC. He already has firmly planted an image in my mind that I could never shake off... Though, he does look good in red.

sample sample

Rivendweller
Lorien

May 29 2008, 4:30pm

Post #44 of 238 (6064 views)
Shortcut
With a 2-Part Deathly Hallows waiting to be filmed [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure Radcliffe is far too busy remaining Harry Potter.

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

sherlock
Gondor

May 29 2008, 4:40pm

Post #45 of 238 (6664 views)
Shortcut
Good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that Martin Freeman looks more like a hobbit but I'm not sure of his acting abilities. James McAvoy, however, has been great in everything I've seen him in. This could work.

Elven
Valinor

May 29 2008, 4:46pm

Post #46 of 238 (6102 views)
Shortcut
I read your post as Jack Daniels ... :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Darkstone
Immortal

May 29 2008, 4:50pm

Post #47 of 238 (5717 views)
Shortcut
Can't be any worse than Elijah Wood. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pubescent pretty boy Wood was most definitely not Frodo. But he did do quite well in the role. I suppose any of those three would do the same for a similarly non-Bilbo Bilbo.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on May 29 2008, 4:53pm)

Patty
Immortal

May 29 2008, 4:54pm

Post #48 of 238 (5800 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Elven.... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's not Friday fiesta time yet!Laugh

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

merklynn
Lorien

May 29 2008, 4:58pm

Post #49 of 238 (6277 views)
Shortcut
He's rubbish! j/k [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen Radcliffe in anything other than David Copperfield and Harry Potter. In Potter I personally think he brings nothing to the role that a piece of cardboard would not bring. He's flat as Potter for me (but I find the character a whiney Mary Stu anyway). Just an opinion. *throws hands in the air like Simon Cowell*

merklynn
Lorien

May 29 2008, 5:01pm

Post #50 of 238 (5840 views)
Shortcut
Makeup that was put on him 9 years ago! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, but the scene that Holm filmed for the prologue's flashback was filmed in 1999-2000. He is 76 years old now. Ten years older. I personally thought even the makeup they did for him in the prologue made him look like he was on the sunset side of middle-aged. So it woudl be even less effective or convincing now. Holm is unfortunately too old now.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.