Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So apparently the top choices for Bilbo are James McAvoy, Daniel Radcliffe and Jack Black
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Actaeon

Jun 3 2008, 3:25am

Post #226 of 238 (3172 views)
Shortcut
Hugh Bonneville [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats genius! Yup i'll sign for Hugh Bonneville too!

Elenedhel
Rivendell

Jun 3 2008, 11:36pm

Post #227 of 238 (3377 views)
Shortcut
I hope it's James McAvoy! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'd die if Jack Black was cast as Bilbo.

"O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
We still remember, we who dwell
In this far land beneath the trees,
Thy starlight on the Western Seas."

"It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men,and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he was from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace..."

"Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder."

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jun 5 2008, 9:10pm

Post #228 of 238 (2606 views)
Shortcut
I TOTALLY agree with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

We need
1-Ian Holm
2-
someone who looks exactly like Ian Holm, even a little younger i sfine with me.

But McAvoy... com'on... don't tell they can't' find anyone better (in terms of resemblance, I'm not saying he's a bad actor)

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Jun 11 2008, 3:10pm

Post #229 of 238 (2962 views)
Shortcut
Before reading any of the other posts... [In reply to] Can't Post

Daniel Radcliffe? No, sorry. Wrong acting-style, wrong looks, wrong age, wrong everything. Sort of reminds me of the time I asked my Grandmother, for Christmas, for Shostakovich's Symphony #12 in D Minor (a really gloomy piece that only a gloomy teenage girl could love) and she got me a collection of Strauss waltzes, saying, "Well, they're both classical music, aren't they?" (Ungrateful little whelp that I was, I didn't hide my disappointment at the time.) Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings are both fantasies, aren't they? So aren't the actors interchangeable? Riiiiiight.

Jack Black? At least he looks closer to Bilbo. Yet though he might try to stretch himself, he'll always have a slightly greasy air of sleaze about his acting, appropriate to certain kinds of humor (like the parody Council of Elrond) or, on the serious side, to playing a ruthless carnie/con artist in King Kong, but certainly not respectable Mr. Baggins.

James McAvoy? Acting-wise, certainly. Age? Close enough for make-up to even out the difference. Appearance? The soft, hobbity features help, but is he willing to get fat for the role? Seriously, fat is an important Bilbo motif. He will have to make that sacrifice for as long as it takes to film the movies, and take the risk that, like Elizabeth Taylor discovered to her dismay, pounds gained for a role might not necessarily come off so easily.

Not to go to the extreme size of Hugo Reyes on "Lost", mind you, but does Jorge Garcia have a little brother with the same big talent?

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

(This post was edited by Dreamdeer on Jun 11 2008, 3:15pm)

Hobbit Guy

Jun 11 2008, 3:11pm

Post #230 of 238 (3044 views)
Shortcut
McAvoy, hes not any bit Tolkien in any respect [In reply to] Can't Post

Well let me tell you, James McAvoy has been a girl magnet since his role in Atonement. The thing i've seen is that how in the movie Ian Holme is seen with the ring in Gollum's cave, the audience sees that as Bilbo no matter what (i do!) and if McAvoy, Radcliffe, Black, plays in this movie, the feel of Bilbo, the hobbits and Tolkien will utterly be lost and thrown away. Martin Freeman looks the closest to Ian Holme like it or not, he has the larger cheaks and flat wider head like Holme. not to be gay sounding, but we need someone who is cute, not hot, and i hope the film makers realize this. Also, hobbits don't age like people think, they do look 50 years old when they reached the age! Bilbo in the lord of the rings stayed looking fifty because the ring prolonged his life. So, Bilbo needs to be a little mature looking, and not like some super hot super star! other than jack black, the others are way to young to have this role, their good actors! im serious! but they are not righ for the job nontheless.

Hobbit Guy

Jun 11 2008, 3:19pm

Post #231 of 238 (2884 views)
Shortcut
Look! this is Ian Holme compared to Martin Freeman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Marin Freeman: http://cache.viewimages.com/...B7339930FDCFC4C15FBB

Ian Holme: http://upload.moldova.org/...s/tn2_ian_holm_2.jpg

(This post was edited by Hobbit Guy on Jun 11 2008, 3:25pm)

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 4 2008, 4:32pm

Post #232 of 238 (3001 views)
Shortcut
agree and disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with everything you mentioned on Radcliff as an actor, and as a great candidate to play Bilbo; however I don't agree with how you described the movies themselves. I think the movies are awesome, with tons of depth/character/excitement/action, superbly scripted storyline & character creation, world class believable acting, ingenius musical composition/scoring to fit each individual movie, and some are equally as thrilling as the LOTR movies..IMHO

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 4 2008, 5:54pm

Post #233 of 238 (3004 views)
Shortcut
Freeman looks much more like Holm [In reply to] Can't Post

Freeman is THE choice to replace Holm as Bilbo. Their resemblance and acting styles are so much a like, it's scary:

Way more resemblance to Holm's Bilbo & more thus more believable than McAvoy, and better comedic timing, not to mention equally good serious acting ability. It is hard to tell which picture below are a younger Ian Holm or the current 37 year old Martin Freeman. Note Freeman is 37, where as, James McAvoy is on 29. Freeman is and looks closer in age.

Lets compare McAvoy to see if he fits in with Holm's look:

Lets compare all at once, side by side:

Attachments: Freeman.jpg (33.2 KB)

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 4 2008, 6:25pm

Post #234 of 238 (3129 views)
Shortcut
image lost [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the main images didn't show up properly in the side by side comparisons (see attached or link below):
http://www.jamd.com/image/g/2736883 (The resemblance in this one is scary..even without makeup/ears/hair/etc.)

Here's one more for comparison (even without the ears, hair and makeup, Freeman clearly looks like a younger Bilbo, while McAvoy looks like nothing close to Ian Holm/Bilbo):

(This post was edited by sphdle1 on Jul 4 2008, 6:32pm)
Attachments: Freeman2.jpg (79.9 KB)

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 4 2008, 6:47pm

Post #235 of 238 (2786 views)
Shortcut
totally agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Both on acting ability, and check out my picture comparisons above post. Freeman is the obvious choice, as McAvoy looks 'Nothing' like Holm/Blibo...!

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 4 2008, 8:05pm

Post #236 of 238 (3142 views)
Shortcut
No mention of Martin Freeman? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to another post, I posted this somewhere in the middle, but I find it odd that in that speculative article, there is no mention of the one person that could possibly replace Ian Holm as Bilbo for this movie:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...latest_reply;so=ASC;;

(This post was edited by sphdle1 on Jul 4 2008, 8:07pm)

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 7 2008, 12:18pm

Post #237 of 238 (2721 views)
Shortcut
I know I went crazy with picture [In reply to] Can't Post

but check out some of these comparisons, even older pictures of Holm, scary the resemblance:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=113762;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 7 2008, 2:17pm

Post #238 of 238 (3086 views)
Shortcut
agreed on JB [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree Jack Black as Bilbo would be a JOKE! But McAvoy isn't right either. He is a good actor, but lacks the comedic timing needed for Bilbo that Holm set the bar so high on. Though I don't see peoples argument about McAvoy as being hot or 'eye candy'. He is just average, and not nearly in the same league as Orlando Bloom, or Johnny Depp, etc.

Martin Freeman is THE only Bilbo replacement.

(This post was edited by sphdle1 on Jul 7 2008, 2:18pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.