Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So apparently the top choices for Bilbo are James McAvoy, Daniel Radcliffe and Jack Black
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29 2008, 10:24am

Post #1 of 238 (13637 views)
Shortcut
So apparently the top choices for Bilbo are James McAvoy, Daniel Radcliffe and Jack Black Can't Post

There's a bunch of sites reporting this, so I'm gonna post the link to the first site to have reported this (chronologically according to google)... the article is here on ShowbizSpy.

The relevant excerpt states:

A source tells British newspaper the Daily Express, "A number of names have been doing the rounds, including Daniel Radcliffe and Jack Black, but James (McAvoy) is the one the film's bosses really want.

"They're expected to have talks soon so hopefully it could be confirmed in the not too distant future."

For my part, I'm not so sure I'm a fan of Daniel Radcliffe as Bilbo. For one, he's Harry Potter, and for another, his acting, charisma, and personality don't come even close to Sir Ian Holm's. If PJ, GDT, Fran and Philippa are writing the part based on Holm's performance, I really don't see how they can imagine Radcliffe in that role.

Oh well, let's see where this goes Smile

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

Artanis
Rohan

May 29 2008, 10:39am

Post #2 of 238 (9020 views)
Shortcut
I think I can [In reply to] Can't Post

picture James McAvoy as Bilbo. I have only ever seen him as Mr. Tumnus and I thought he played him well. I would love for Ian Holm to be back (surely their computer whizz's could sort something out for anything he can't do Unsure). But if they really can't have him I think would be happy with McAvoy.

Artanis

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

May 29 2008, 10:50am

Post #3 of 238 (8368 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it might work . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never seen him in any movies, but he seems to have the looks. Maybe if he gains a little weight it'll work. However, I still think that Martin Freeman is a better choice.

"WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN"

Did you ever wish certain moments from LOTR could've made it to the screen? Have you ever imagined what would have happened if all of the original writings from the script actually made it to the films? Well, "What Could Have Been" is the right discussion for you! Starting this summer will be a series of topics about what could have been in "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy". Be on the lookout, and be sure to join in on the fun!

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 29 2008, 11:22am

Post #4 of 238 (8701 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

Please, not Daniel Radcliffe! He may look a bit like Elijah (at least I've read repeatedly that fans are confusing them, something I could never really understand), but first, he is too young, and second, I don't know how much he improved, but I was not satisfied with his performance in the first HP movies. He can't hold a candle to Ian Holm in this regard.

And, as you said, he is Harry Potter. It would throw me completely to see him as Bilbo. Never!!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29 2008, 11:41am

Post #5 of 238 (8191 views)
Shortcut
Yes, a boy wizard is Daniel Radcliffe [In reply to] Can't Post

and no middle aged hobbit. If it's true that Radcliffe is being considered, I dare to ask, what the heck are PJ and GDT thinking? Pirate

I'd like to think PJ and GDT can't have seriously considered him for this part... they must've made some passing remark that's been taken out of context (since any Hobbit news is big news these days).

I can't wait for Friday's issue of Empire magazine to see what else the interview with GDT reveals.

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

(This post was edited by Earl on May 29 2008, 11:44am)

bookgirl13
Lorien

May 29 2008, 12:11pm

Post #6 of 238 (9990 views)
Shortcut
James McAvoy [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've never seen him in any movies, but he seems to have the looks. Maybe if he gains a little weight it'll work. However, I still think that Martin Freeman is a better choice.

Have to say that I have seen McAvoy in several very different films and he is an awesome actor - different in every role he has taken on. He has tremendous emotional depth yet can be comic as well. And his features are quite Hobbitish. Smile

Martin Freeman, although cute, is not in the same league - rather limited in his range. Bilbo has to grow throughout the story and I have major doubts over whether Freeman can encompass that.

diedye
Grey Havens

May 29 2008, 12:12pm

Post #7 of 238 (8616 views)
Shortcut
If those are the only choices, I'll take James McAvoy... [In reply to] Can't Post

... not physically, of course, but you know what I mean. Wink

Join the "Save " Campaign

deej
Tol Eressea

May 29 2008, 12:18pm

Post #8 of 238 (8298 views)
Shortcut
I'm not holding my breath. [In reply to] Can't Post

Those may be the actors that the studio wants, but that doesn't mean that's who GDT and PJ have in mind.

"...and back again."

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29 2008, 12:20pm

Post #9 of 238 (7977 views)
Shortcut
Also, realistically speaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Would Daniel Radcliffe even be available for filming in NZ in 2010? Seeing as HP7 is slated to be a two-part movie to be released in 2010 and 2011, I'd think the boy wizard would be pretty much tied up in a country half a World away from NZ.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29 2008, 12:21pm

Post #10 of 238 (7987 views)
Shortcut
I just thought the same thing [In reply to] Can't Post

What does "insiders" mean? I wonder if these names aren't WB's idea of a Hobbit cast?

bookgirl13
Lorien

May 29 2008, 12:21pm

Post #11 of 238 (8470 views)
Shortcut
Speculation [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Those may be the actors that the studio wants, but that doesn't mean that's who GDT and PJ have in mind.

True, but it is fun speculating. This is the first time I have been able to indulge in it in reality. I have, of course, discussed appropriate casting if ever favourite novels are filmed. But this is a lot closer to reality and helps the lengthy preproduction time go quicker.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 29 2008, 12:32pm

Post #12 of 238 (8935 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes [In reply to] Can't Post

forgot about that. You know, that is good news Wink

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 29 2008, 12:35pm

Post #13 of 238 (8131 views)
Shortcut
Very possible [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it could be that these actors are the ones Warner want. The more I think about it, the less I can imagine Radcliffe as Bilbo, and I refuse to believe PJ and GDT would chose him at all. Oh well, who cares about Warner? Evil

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

May 29 2008, 12:35pm

Post #14 of 238 (8097 views)
Shortcut
"A source"? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll take that with a grain of salt. I'm not listening to any of these rumors. I'm sure that PJ and GdT are going to pick someone good, and I won't pay attention to any names that get tossed around until I hear it out of PJ's or GdT's mouth.

"He is a small thing, you say, this Gollum? Small, but great in mischief."

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29 2008, 12:53pm

Post #15 of 238 (8095 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you [In reply to] Can't Post

Not holding my breath until the word is officially out from PJ/GDT.

Yet it is a scary thought that Daniel Radcliffe is even being considered, regardless of whether he's being considered by the studios or the filmmakers Pirate

I don't indulge much in casting speculation because I really don't watch a lot of films, so I don't have a whole bunch of people I can choose from. But I do indulge in a little cribbing when casting speculation becomes anything like this Wink

Telperion313
The Shire

May 29 2008, 1:29pm

Post #16 of 238 (8203 views)
Shortcut
Better make it [In reply to] Can't Post

a whole giant mountain of salt. I simply cannot believe that anyone associated with the film is even considering Daniel Radcliffe or Jack Black. It sounds to me like a case of someone spreading a random rumour, which caught fire, and now it's spreading around all the websites. I'm not concerned... well, maybe a little...

Coming to theaters, Summer 2012...

The Lord of the Rings 2: Back in the "Ring" of Things...

A wacky teen comedy in which Frodo, Merry, and Pippin are always trying to "get some". Don't miss it.

calisuri
PTB

May 29 2008, 1:33pm

Post #17 of 238 (8797 views)
Shortcut
I still want Martin Freeman...but McAvoy ain't too bad [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mysterious Calisuri

Roac

May 29 2008, 1:35pm

Post #18 of 238 (8715 views)
Shortcut
Jack Black? [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that Daniel Radcliffe wouldn't fit the bill. Also, Jack Black... hmm. While he is a good actor when given roles that don't allow him the sort of over-the-top Jack Blackness he's so prone to demonstrate I can't help but think that in every movie I've seen him in he always has a smidgen of that irritating acting in him.

James McAvoy - he's actually the actor I've wanted to play Bilbo since the whole Hobbit movie talk began in earnest. I think he would be great.

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." Gimli, son of Glóin - The Fellowship of the Ring.

Lunamoth
Rohan

May 29 2008, 1:39pm

Post #19 of 238 (8436 views)
Shortcut
Poor Jack [In reply to] Can't Post

I adore Jack Black, I honestly do. I've watched him develop since Mr. Show and Tenacious D. But in movies, he just tends to OVER-act, and I don't think I could believe him as Bilbo.

Elven
Valinor

May 29 2008, 1:48pm

Post #20 of 238 (7888 views)
Shortcut
Bwaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

'Source?' ... my thoughts exactly Laugh ... I think theyve been wandering around the sites here and there trying to get some names - seeing that theres been none on offer, they've chosen those Wink
I cant imagine Daniel Radcliffes name in amongst this at all ...
nor Jack Black ... nor JMV ...

Im waiting for an official announcement, and I hope we hear of it here at tORN first .... please!!!

Smile

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

deej
Tol Eressea

May 29 2008, 1:56pm

Post #21 of 238 (8179 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't be upset if James McAvoy got the part, but am still holding out hope for Martin Freeman.

Daniel Radcliff, on the other hand, seems way too young (although that didn't stop them casting Elijah Wood as Frodo, I guess!) Not to mention I wouldn't be able to look at Bilbo and think "What's Harry Potter doing in Middle earth?"

"...and back again."

Actaeon

May 29 2008, 2:34pm

Post #22 of 238 (8472 views)
Shortcut
Why Bilbo, you havent aged a day! [In reply to] Can't Post

Arent all those people too young to play Bilbo anyway?
Bilbo in my mind would appear roughly the same age as he did in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

One of the rings powers is to give whomever possesses it an unnaturally long life, i presume that the bearer still ages but in such a way that is would not be distinctively noticeable within a normal lifetime. Certainly Golum whilst in possession of the ring aged and became changed (corrupted) but this took a lot longer that the 60 or so years between the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, so even allowing for a slight change in appearance during that time Bilbo would not have changed much if at all, even Gandalf commented on it "You havent aged a day"

So without major Lore breaking I cant see how it would be possible to maintain any sort of continuity between the Hobbit movies and the Lord of the Rings movies by hiring someone much younger than Ian Holm (if he cannot come back).
Im sure if he where to come back they would be able to make him appear younger (as they did in the flashback to when the ring was discovered in Golum's Cave).

Personally making such a huge error or lore change by hiring someone much younger would be a deal breaker for me

Artanis
Rohan

May 29 2008, 2:40pm

Post #23 of 238 (7928 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realize Daniel Radcliffe was the Harry Potter chap. Oh goodness me no Shocked . I haven't seen any of his films but his features are just too sharp, wheras Ian Holm and that James McAvoy have sort of soft/gentle features. I haven't heard or seen the other chap mentioned, and although I agree about not getting too exited about these names been thrown around, it is sort of fun....but thats just meCrazy.

One thing I do agree with is that somewhere on this site you were all discussing how horrid it would be to cast a supposed "celebrity" in the big parts of The Hobbit...such as Tom Cruise etc.Laugh. It makes me feel ill to think of them casting a supposed "star" in one of those precious roles.Frown

Artanis

jglonek

May 29 2008, 2:42pm

Post #24 of 238 (8356 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so confused about this whole idea of casting someone new, and younger, to play Bilbo.

The whole idea of the ring, and of Gandolf's comment of "You haven't aged a day!" mentioned above is the fact that Bilbo in the beginning of Fellowship of the Ring is supposed to be exactly the same as when he found the ring in the first place!

It will not make sense at all if Ian Holm does not play Bilbo again, in my opinion.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 29 2008, 2:50pm

Post #25 of 238 (8100 views)
Shortcut
And would you [In reply to] Can't Post

have believed that the Bilbo at the beginning of FotR was only 35-40 in human terms, considering the different lifespans of Men and Hobbits? AFAIK Ian Holm was made younger for the flashback in the cave, but to me he looked too old even then, and it would not work well (and be too expensieve) to do that through a whole movie.

Plus, you have to realise that *Bilbo* may not have aged, but *Ian* has! Until they start filming, there have been over 10 years gone by since he played Bilbo.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.