Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
*points to bottom of page* ---> REVISED <---

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 29 2008, 3:24am

Views: 688
Shortcut
*points to bottom of page* ---> REVISED <--- [In reply to] Can't Post

Please note that I've revised my previous post.

The "Fair Use Clause" of copyright law (link at the bottom of the page), states, in part:

the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright (more at the link below).

So, in general, many things are perfectly fine to copy, especially if it's being used for educational or discussion purposes. Also in general, this applies even more to items posted on the internet for general public use (e.g. without specific restrictions and or warnings). As I mentioned in my post below, many news sites know and even encourage us to post about their articles.

However, the devil (as always) is in the details. Some sites may restrict certain use of their material in their own Terms of Service. The only way of knowing which sites do this is, of course, to read their Terms of Service. The alternative to doing that for every article cited here (by us or by users) is to only post part of the article (if any) and always include the original source and, preferably, a link to the source. This is always our practice on the Home Page.

The message boards are a different animal, because it's our users, not TORn, who are posting items. We (TORn) protect ourselves as much as we can by taking down items when asked, and by posting policies like the sticky in the RR about quoting copyrighted text. And, as of now, because this whole issue is very "fuzzy" we are going to ask that people not post any articles in their entirety (and will add it to our Terms of Service - adds to 'to-do' list). This is actually in our users' best interest too, because it *is* fuzzy as to who might be violating someone's copyright at any given moment in time.

It should be clear, too, that because users might be at risk, it's up to them to protect themselves by being cautious and even looking into copyright terms in specific cases of things they may want to quote; it's not up to TORn to protect them.

As I mentioned below, in 9 years we have a great track record, both on the Home Page and on the boards. If we keep working together we can keep it up for another 9 years! Smile

Thus ends today's public service announcement. You may return to your regular browsing. Laugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on May 31 2008, 4:20am)

Subject User Time
Posting entire text of articles by third parties? Smeagirl/Girllum Send a private message to Smeagirl/Girllum May 28 2008, 12:15pm
    The reason I do this... diedye Send a private message to diedye May 28 2008, 12:37pm
        What kind of filter Smeagirl/Girllum Send a private message to Smeagirl/Girllum May 28 2008, 12:50pm
            Barracuda... diedye Send a private message to diedye May 28 2008, 1:37pm
            Dunno, but Eowyn of Penns Woods Send a private message to Eowyn of Penns Woods May 28 2008, 5:32pm
            my work filter acheron Send a private message to acheron May 28 2008, 6:00pm
            I have the same problem as diedye Kelvarhin Send a private message to Kelvarhin May 29 2008, 1:48am
        Can you try and remember to post the link? Eledhwen Send a private message to Eledhwen May 28 2008, 8:05pm
    *points to bottom of page* ---> REVISED <--- Altaira Send a private message to Altaira May 29 2008, 3:24am
        Hmm. To take your "Variety" example N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand May 29 2008, 4:23am
            I'm certainly no attorney Altaira Send a private message to Altaira May 29 2008, 3:24pm
                Thanks for the explanation! // N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand May 29 2008, 3:51pm
        Not always... diedye Send a private message to diedye May 29 2008, 12:17pm
    I see the AP has complained about this sort of thing. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Jun 16 2008, 9:49pm
        Some fascinating follow-up N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Jun 19 2008, 10:36pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.