Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
***QTNA 5/28*** Hurray for the new LOTR movie boards!!! Thanks, TORN.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hobbitlove
Gondor

May 28 2008, 7:03pm

Post #1 of 49 (1327 views)
Shortcut
***QTNA 5/28*** Hurray for the new LOTR movie boards!!! Thanks, TORN. Can't Post

QTNA: Questions That Need Answering.

Admins! You are the best! Thanks a zillion for splitting up the movie board. We're a bit late with comments, but please let us express how much we like this new plan. We absolutely love it!
Great idea and great timing; I didn't even know how much I wanted this until it was a fait accompli. It felt like a whole new place or something. This was brilliant! You administrators are briliiant! A thousand thanks!

We had a few comments on heroes for last week's QTNA, but time got away from us and with all the going-ons around here, and the holiday weekend, well, it will wait for another time. We may revisit the topic. Let's focus on looking forward.

What now?

Why are we still here?

What would we all like to do with it, now that we have our very own LOTR movie board?

Weaver's superb synopsis is a timely and refreshingly succinct outline of what we have here.

Got any other ideas about what you would like to see discussed here?

We 'borrowed' this topic list from tORn's very own scrapbook (0ver 18000 pictures from these topics) because we wish to point out the dozens and dozens of great subjects all pertaining to those three extraordinary movies we come here to talk about.

* Movies (12016)
o Fellowship of the Ring (1512)
o The Two Towers (1716)
o Return of the King (2988)
o Characters (3875)
+ Aragorn (670)
+ Arwen (296)
+ The Balrog (13)
+ Bilbo (72)
+ Celeborn (8)
+ Boromir (148)
+ Denethor (53)
+ Elrond (80)
+ Éomer (83)
+ Éowyn (156)
+ Faramir (112)
+ Frodo (754)
+ Galadriel (128)
+ Gamling (6)
+ Gandalf (582)
+ Gimli (234)
+ Grķma Wormtongue (51)
+ Grishnįkh (7)
+ Gollum (348)
+ Haldir (12)
+ Legolas (368)
+ Lurtz (80)
+ Merry (272)
+ Mouth of Sauron (12)
+ The Nazgūl (202)
+ Pippin (278)
+ Sam (378)
+ Saruman (170)
+ Sauron (51)
+ Shelob (30)
+ Theoden (110)
+ Treebeard (52)
+ Uglśk (8)
+ Other Characters (547)
o Cast (4412)
+ Andy Serkis (319)
+ Bernard Hill (108)
+ Brad Dourif (40)
+ Billy Boyd (448)
+ Bruce Hopkins (55)
+ Cate Blanchett (267)
+ Christopher Lee (111)
+ Craig Parker (70)
+ David Wenham (66)
+ Dominic Monaghan (392)
+ Elijah Wood (627)
+ Hugo Weaving (49)
+ Ian Holm (17)
+ Ian McKellen (274)
+ John Noble (62)
+ John Rhys-Davies (211)
+ Karl Urban (40)
+ Lawrence Makoare (123)
+ Liv Tyler (179)
+ Marton Csokas (4)
+ Miranda Otto (66)
+ Orlando Bloom (437)
+ Sala Baker (101)
+ Sean Astin (587)
+ Sean Bean (72)
+ Viggo Mortensen (532)
+ Other Cast (122)
o Crew (1267)
+ Barrie Osborne (53)
+ Fran Walsh (72)
+ Howard Shore (140)
+ Jim Rygiel (32)
+ Mark Ordesky (17)
+ Peter Jackson (690)
+ Philippa Boyens (79)
+ Randy Cook (15)
+ Richard Taylor (123)
+ Rick Porras (8)
+ Other Crew (322)
o Sets & Filming Locations (1564)
+ Bree (28)
+ Edoras (157)
+ Helm's Deep (166)
+ Hobbiton (152)
+ Isengard (75)
+ Moria (67)
+ Lothlorien (32)
+ Mordor (104)
+ Minas Tirith (231)
+ Osgiliath (44)
+ Pelennor Fields (110)
+ Rivendell (93)
+ Other Sets & Locs (386)
o Production (1392)
+ Costume Design (325)
+ Make Up (130)
+ Previsualisation (103)
+ Props (102)
+ Set Design (145)
+ Soundtrack and Music (112)
+ WETA Digital (198)
+ WETA Workshop (306)
+ Other Production (388)
o Promotional Material (491)
* Press (4297)
o Newspapers (625)
o Magazines (3188)
o Cartoons (150)
o Other Press (399)
* TheOneRing.net (1971)
o Barlibash 2001: Chicago (0)
o Barlibash 2002: Seattle (0)
o Barlimans (20)
o J. R. R. Tolkien (159)
o Line Parties (397)
o Oscars 2002: The One Party (55)
o Oscars 2003: Two Towers, One Party (85)
o Oscars 2004: Return of the One Party (239)
o TORn Staff (694)
o Other TORn Pics (84)
o Other TORn Events (665)
* Events (7689)
o Awards Ceremonies (454)
o Conventions (2475)
o Film Festivals (329)
o Exhibitions (875)
o Book Signings (561)
o Film Premieres (1488)
o Other Events (2109)
* Merchandise (3798)
o Audio-Visual (746)
o Books (340)
o Collectibles (868)
o Clothing (132)
o Gaming (628)
o Posters & Calendars (226)
o Toys (618)
o Weaponry (80)
o Other Merchandise (717)
* Other Movies (1652)
o Narnia (136)
o King Kong (1494)
+ Kong Fans with Their DVDs (14)
+ Kong Wallpaper (273)

From the crew, cast, and characters, to production and presentation, the LOTR trilogy is fascinating. Doesn't seem likely that we have gleaned all the geeky goodness just yet, does it?

Maybe it doesn't matter why we are here? Maybe we shouldn't even worry about such questions. Let's just get on with it? Right?

Here's to many more years of enjoyment and enlightenment from our favorite movies, from the best forums on the net, and from our dear friends here and throughout the fandom. Go us!

Wuddyawannaknowabout?
Send us your questions.

Have a great week geeks and thanks for stopping to check-out QTNA.

hobbitlove and ordinary hobbit

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob
(former nick: "HobbitLoveR*M-e" among several others)

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

May 28 2008, 7:09pm

Post #2 of 49 (1099 views)
Shortcut
I've been considering starting an ongoing discussion . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always enjoyed leading discussions, and making one of my very own would be a lot of fun, even if it's temporary (i.e. over the course of a month). I'll see, I'm still throwing ideas around.

Nonetheless, I'm glad to see that the boards are split. Nothing against Hobbit discussions, but they weren't needed here, it was cluttering the boards and was getting annoying. Now, I have a place to go for that, and I can conitnue posting regularly here!

Thanks Admins! Cool

Ash nazg durbatulūk, Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

weaver
Half-elven

May 28 2008, 8:00pm

Post #3 of 49 (1079 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to hear the thoughts of our newer folks... [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of us veterans have been through several rounds of scene discussions, annotated scene discussions, technical discussions, and character focused discussions (anyone remember the Middle Earth Files? those were fun...!)

Having organized a bunch around here, I'm in the mood to support others who want to lead something -- so what type of discussions about our would be of most interest to those who have joined since all the Hobbit hype started?

Or is there anything new folks want to know about but have been afraid to ask? I think hob's opened the door for that if you want to post it here...

Don't be shy!

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

May 28 2008, 8:05pm

Post #4 of 49 (1084 views)
Shortcut
good for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd encourage you to make a list of your ideas and post them for feedback; that's the best way to figure out what the board would be most responsive to.

All of the regular, ongoing features we have now started out when we switched over to this board format. All we did back then was to post a list of ideas and based on everyone's reactions, we came up with the current topics and leaders.

I'm glad you are thinking of this and I say go for it!

Weaver

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

May 28 2008, 8:57pm

Post #5 of 49 (1080 views)
Shortcut
Well, some of my ideas were . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) In-Depth Discussions on what could have been in the films (i.e. scenes/characters that were cut, story alternations, etc.)

2.) Music Discussions - Discussions on memorable pieces of music by Howard Shore

I can't remember any others right now, but that's just a start. Any thoughts?

weaver
Half-elven

May 28 2008, 9:06pm

Post #6 of 49 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like 'em both!

The first one is intriguing, as we haven't done anything on "what was cut" like that. That would be a new twist..how would you approach this?

I was thinking along the music lines, too, as I've learned a lot from Magpie especially about the score and what it contributes. My guess is that if you took the lead on something Magpie as well as Earl, who's also pretty devoted to the music, might be good technical resources. We've gone through the films on a scene-by-scene basis, why not the music? Most of us have the soundtracks, and many have the complete recordings, too. Magpie's site, if she's willing could be the equivalent of the screencap library for this kind of thing.

If you want to go the music route, I'd suggest PMing Magpie and Earl to see what they think...and how they might be able to help.

Weaver

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

May 28 2008, 9:20pm

Post #7 of 49 (1072 views)
Shortcut
Music/What could've been . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

The music discussions would be scene-by-scene, examining details of the music. Perhaps there'd be quotes from Howard Shore (where possible). Even so, it's all jsut work in progress.

As for the "what could have been" discussions, there'd be certain things like "What if Arwen had been put into the Battle of Helm's Deep?" or "What if the Scouring of the Shire had been included?" Certain things like that, you know?

I'm leaning towards the "What Could Have Been" discussions (I'll come up with a better name of course). Smile

weaver
Half-elven

May 28 2008, 9:28pm

Post #8 of 49 (1072 views)
Shortcut
I like What Might Have Been.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think people could have a lot of fun with that! Plus it fits with the general "speculation" fever around here...

Not sure when you want to start, but for the summer the Might Have Been might be a "lighter" topic. You could run it for a few months and see how it goes....and then do the Music thing in the fall. That would give you the summer to do some plotting on that one as it would be harder to pull together, plus you could get some input from Magpie, etc.

Weaver

Elven
Valinor

May 28 2008, 9:38pm

Post #9 of 49 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Love the list you out togther!! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW!! They are some stats!! Thankyou for that!

Id like to see more of the jewelry in LOTR maybe?

Thanks HobbitLove!! (hugs)

Cheers Elven x

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

May 28 2008, 9:46pm

Post #10 of 49 (1064 views)
Shortcut
I'll probably start it in August . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

because July is when I go on vacation to Chicago and my Cottage. So probably late summer I'll start it up. Smile

weaver
Half-elven

May 28 2008, 9:57pm

Post #11 of 49 (1062 views)
Shortcut
that's great! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thanks for thinking to bring something new to us!

Weaver

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

May 28 2008, 11:59pm

Post #12 of 49 (1068 views)
Shortcut
I'll have a lot of discussions ready! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the support weaver! Smile

"WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN"

Did you ever wish certain moments from LOTR could've made it to the screen? Have you ever imagined what would have happened if all of the original writings from the script actually made it to the films? Well, "What Could Have Been" is the right discussion for you! Starting this summer will be a series of topics about what could have been in "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy". Be on the lookout, and be sure to join in on the fun!

tiamy
Rivendell

May 29 2008, 4:45am

Post #13 of 49 (1091 views)
Shortcut
I have an idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

What if we make a discussion for movie-firsters to see their perspective on seeing the movies before reading the books?

sador
Half-elven

May 29 2008, 5:52am

Post #14 of 49 (1059 views)
Shortcut
Count me in [In reply to] Can't Post

Though possibly not as a leader yet. And August seemed good to me until last week, when we found out we might need to move just then. Oh well. I've been telling myself for months that pretty soon I'll have more free time - which never happens. Evil

But please clarify - do you mean to discuss parts in the books which didn't make the movies? Storylines which were nipped in the bud? Character developement which would take too much screentime? All of the above?

It might be nice. I'll definitely lurk, and probably add my input whenever I feel it will be worth your while!

"I have never seen aught like this before" - Eomer

sador
Half-elven

May 29 2008, 5:57am

Post #15 of 49 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Difficult [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been years since the movies were out, and why should people remember?
For one, I feel exasperated whenever someone in the Reading Room asks "what did you feel/expect when you first read..." - it is far easier for me to imagine myself as reading the books for the first time now, when I am nearly thirty years older.
Of course, seven years is less than thirty - but except of special scenes, it will be difficult for fans who've seen the films a few times (and I suspect most of the Movie Discussion board frequenters have done so - far more than I did).

"I have never seen aught like this before" - Eomer

Starling
Half-elven

May 29 2008, 7:24am

Post #16 of 49 (1044 views)
Shortcut
That could be interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a movie firster who has only read the books once and then dipped in and out of them when I want to understand something better.

Starling
Half-elven

May 29 2008, 7:30am

Post #17 of 49 (1071 views)
Shortcut
I still have strong recollections [In reply to] Can't Post

of seeing each movie for the first time, and I would participate in that type of discussion. Of course, I don't remember every bit of every movie in that 'first time' fashion.

FarFromHome
Valinor

May 29 2008, 8:36am

Post #18 of 49 (1039 views)
Shortcut
I still remember too [In reply to] Can't Post

I can recall a number of things that crossed my mind while watching the movies for the first time. I do think that people's first impressions would make an interesting discussion.

(In fact I've found that I can still recollect some of the things I thought when I read the book for the first time, 40 years and at least 30 readings ago! I guess it made an impression...Wink)

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

tiamy
Rivendell

May 29 2008, 8:42am

Post #19 of 49 (1046 views)
Shortcut
Me too...I'm a movie firster... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I can still vividly remember what I felt when I first saw some of the scenes because it was something I've never experienced in a movie before especially for FOTR.

IMGQZ (short for IMaGe QuiZ) is a weekly feature where you identify a certain image from a larger image or screenshot from the film. Each week features different themes that will test your ability in identifying even the smallest detail from the trilogy (and also a way to show off to everyone how many times you've seen the films). Many thanks to weaver for assistance and suggestions and to Reera the Red for the LOTR Screencap Library for the images featured on this game. Everyone is free to comment and suggest to further improve the game.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

May 29 2008, 10:51am

Post #20 of 49 (1058 views)
Shortcut
It's a good idea, however . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

how could we make it an ongoing discussion? Would it sort of be like SCOD, going scene by scene, only talking about first experiences?

"WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN"

Did you ever wish certain moments from LOTR could've made it to the screen? Have you ever imagined what would have happened if all of the original writings from the script actually made it to the films? Well, "What Could Have Been" is the right discussion for you! Starting this summer will be a series of topics about what could have been in "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy". Be on the lookout, and be sure to join in on the fun!

weaver
Half-elven

May 29 2008, 2:10pm

Post #21 of 49 (1046 views)
Shortcut
a movie-newbie series? [In reply to] Can't Post

Those of you who have been around for awhile know I often quote my non-reader husband around here. He's never read the books, and probably never will, so I've taken to using him as source when there are questions about how well the films alone conveyed some aspect of the books. So I think you are on to something in terms of how a discussion that starts with movie-firster impressions has merits.

Your suggestion also got me thinking about something that was posted to TORn a long time ago, which was a diary/journal kept by someone who was reading LOTR for the first time and logging her reactions at the end of each chapter. She went from casual interest to being totally hooked. It was really fun and enlightening to see how the story affected someone through fresh eyes -- the one line I remember was "nothing better happen to Bill the Pony!"

What might be interesting would be if we could get someone who's never seen the films to watch them, and then share their immediate reactions with us like this; it would give a basis from which we could all share our "first perceptions" as well, whether we'd read the books first or not.

It wouldn't have to be a long series -- maybe six posts, one after each part of the EE's. It could be done in June and July, as a kind of summer fun thing. And it would be a nice lead in to what oneringer wants to start up in August, in terms of focusing on "what could have been."

Does anyone know someone who's never seen the films who could be our "guinea pig"? Why, it might be very appealing to be offered this kind of opportunity for "fame" on TORn...Smile

What do you guys think?

Weaver

tiamy
Rivendell

May 29 2008, 2:24pm

Post #22 of 49 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Nice idea, weaver... [In reply to] Can't Post

...we should start a campaign in looking for our "guinea pig"!

I'm actually trying *NOT* to watch the films and been successful for the past 3 years. I've seen FOTR for the last time last September 2005. Since then, I'm abstaining and waiting for the day when I forgot that I've seen them in order experience it again just like the first time.

But I've been listening to the soundtrack almost every week so it still kinda stick to me.... Wink

weaver
Half-elven

May 29 2008, 2:31pm

Post #23 of 49 (1034 views)
Shortcut
well, how about two guinea pigs...? [In reply to] Can't Post

Three years is a pretty long time around here. What do you think about watching them again this summer and telling us your reactions?

Maybe you could recruit someone to watch them with you who's never seen them at all? If you took the lead in typing up the reactions, we might have better luck...

That way we'd get your "sort of new" reactions and someone's "totally new" reactions....

Thoughts???

Weaver

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 29 2008, 2:59pm

Post #24 of 49 (1031 views)
Shortcut
Praise the Admins with Great Praise! [In reply to] Can't Post

As usual, they knew what we needed before we did :) The Hobbit Movie Board is already such a massive success, I have trouble keeping up!

We're here because it's our time to participate in the unique moment in filmic history and in the evolution of Tolkien's stories. I feel SO fortunate to be here and able to share all of this with all of you, and with Peter Jackson and his NZ family of film, and welcoming GdT into the fold. It's like the Internet and Jackson and Tolkien were all meant to find each other to create this astounding adventure that hasn't stopped since 1999 and shows no sign of fading!

So many other sites have drifted away. Bag End Inn, the "Official" LotR site, etc.; while others have not only survived, but thrived! TORn is the tip of the spear, imho. It has a life of its own with a community that holds together like Shirelings. It's because of the strong foundation of posters, to be sure; but it more because of the success and devotion of our Admins and all of their cohorts. They never gave up on US! They haven't waivered in their enthusiam, investigations, creativity or involvement. We never became stagnant but GREW as witnessed by our new and improved boards over a year ago... WAY before anything solid on The Hobbit was there to anchor us. TORn has become the anchor for the films, in a sense. We never gave up and never let go.

Yeah... praise them with great praise... and all my dreams have come true :)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

tiamy
Rivendell

May 29 2008, 3:00pm

Post #25 of 49 (1031 views)
Shortcut
Sorry... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but there aren't many of them here to ask. I can already see their reaction when I asked them about being our "guinea pig":

What? It's been years since the movies came out and you're still talking about LOTR?

Geez....

I don't think I'll fit as a guinea pig since I re-experience LOTR through my mind when listening to the complete recordings.

There must be someone else...an unlikely someone...maybe we can "hire" a Star Wars fan who doesn't care about LOTR...Blush

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.