The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Sorry to be a pest around here, but...

Pallando
Lorien

Mar 16 2007, 7:06am

Post #1 of 6 (271 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to be a pest around here, but... Can't Post

How come the "Main Index" always show that RR has no new posts. Is that top-level posts count and not responses? How long does a Room stay new after a new (I assume) top-level post is posted?

P-II

For I also am a steward. Did you not know?

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 16 2007, 7:20am

Post #2 of 6 (212 views)
Shortcut
This has been discussed before :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Check out this link

http://newboards.theonering.net/...gforum.cgi?post=1948

And also

http://newboards.theonering.net/...gforum.cgi?post=4441

They should help explain :)

Its dependant on the person viewing the forum. I don't visit the RR often (maybe once a week to view thread header titles) and therefore topics appear 'new' there to me all the time as I've not visted that section nor opened any threads. If I visited the section, and did not read individual threads, it would then appear once I go back to the main menu as having no new posts. That is, until someone posts a new one then and I reload my main menu page :p

'I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style.'

'Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.'

What I am listening to

New boards = new nick. Registered User formerly known as Arwenelf

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 16 2007, 7:27am

Post #3 of 6 (198 views)
Shortcut
The "new posts" [In reply to] Can't Post

that are listed in the Main Index include both new root posts and new replies. However, the "new" only applies to posts made since you were last in that forum. So if you have been clicking in and out, even if you have not read all the posts, the Main Index will only list those made since your last visit, however long ago that was. If it was 10 seconds ago, there will be no new posts listed unless someone posted in the last 10 seconds.

If you navigate using the a link, whether the Ring icon, the forum directory link (the bold text below the rings but above the message title), or the forum jump feature, your page should automatically refresh. If you use your browser's back button, it will not and you will have to refresh the page to see if anything new has been added.

Also, I think it will appear different to those who have their preferences set to Threaded mode than to those who have them set to read messages in Flat mode. I use threaded myself, but I understand that once you open a thread in Flat mode, it considers all posts in that thread as read, whether or not you actually have. Perhaps someone who uses Flat mode could clarify how it works.

When you click into a forum, the messages you haven't read should be in bold. And when you click into a thread, the post you are reading will be in bold, while other unread posts will have a red "New" tag next to them.

But if you log out and log in again, only posts made since you logged out will still be considered new when you log back in, whether you have read them or not.

Silverlode

Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The genius and the plan thus inspired
Depart me and I, entering a room,
Find myself on the threshold, stand still
And wonder what I came to do there.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 16 2007, 10:08am

Post #4 of 6 (186 views)
Shortcut
Sherry, your avatar is charming! :-) {nt} [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 16 2007, 11:33am

Post #5 of 6 (197 views)
Shortcut
Hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm happy you think so.

It amuses me, and luckily its not a full size avatar, so tends to not get in the way too much when people scroll down a page.

I have more where that came from :>

'I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style.'

'Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.'

What I am listening to

New boards = new nick. Registered User formerly known as Arwenelf

Owlyross
Rohan

Mar 16 2007, 11:50am

Post #6 of 6 (205 views)
Shortcut
Or [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But if you log out and log in again, only posts made since you logged out will still be considered new when you log back in, whether you have read them or not.

If you navigate away from the site and come back. But I guess that's an automatic log-in and counts for the same thing.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.