Hildebrandts Parting Shot!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

drogo
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 4:23pm

Post #1 of 29 (11249 views)
Shortcut
Hildebrandts Parting Shot! Can't Post

Here's a few more late Hildebrandt illustrations I thought I would post. Okay, I am practicing thumbnails on this new board, but we don't have to worry about board space so much over here.

Click on the images and enjoy!!

"The Mines of Moria"

"Journey to the Dark Tower"

"The One Ring"

"Bilbo and Gollum"

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

JPB
The Shire

Feb 18 2007, 4:40pm

Post #2 of 29 (10276 views)
Shortcut
Hildebrandts Parting Shot! - The One Ring drawing [In reply to] Can't Post

You know... I have always wondered about that painting. Here it is, well into the discussion between Gandalf and Frodo - and Frodo has no chair.

What is this? The heir of the hobbit who had his share of Smaug's gold -- doesn't own more than one chair? He has to stand the whole time? Shocked

Beren IV
Gondor

Feb 18 2007, 7:22pm

Post #3 of 29 (10190 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drogo] Hildebrandts Parting Shot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gah, talk about not being consistent with the books!Unsure

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 8:28pm

Post #4 of 29 (10179 views)
Shortcut
Nah... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it's probably because he doesn't trust Gandalf after what happened at the last Birthday party. Now he's gotta be ready to bolt if he sees any sign that Gandalf's "fireworks" get out of hand.

Penthe
Gondor

Feb 18 2007, 10:53pm

Post #5 of 29 (10201 views)
Shortcut
It's because he's not wearing a skirt [In reply to] Can't Post

Hildebrandt's only draw people sitting down behind tables or wearing a skirt. I mean robes.

Frodo could've joined the priesthood, or invested in some more occasional furniture. Otherwise, he has to stand all the time. It's just one of the many ways in which the Hildebrandt's prove their evil natures.

Sandicomm
Bree

Feb 19 2007, 12:47am

Post #6 of 29 (10181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drogo] Hildebrandts Parting Shot! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like these black and white pictures best--they look like they were illustrations from an old Dickens book. The viewer isn't distracted by the colors (not that I mind color pictures, but I think the Hildebrants rely on it too much) and really see the form of the pictures and the characters.

Morwen
Rohan

Feb 19 2007, 2:00am

Post #7 of 29 (10173 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JPB] Hildebrandts Parting Shot! - The One Ring drawing [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently Frodo doesn't own any tables either, as Gandalf's plate, knife and beer are just sitting on the floor. Gives the place a kind of just moved in look, which obviously doesn't fit with the book.

JPB
The Shire

Feb 19 2007, 2:05am

Post #8 of 29 (10180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Morwen] Hildebrandts Parting Shot! - The One Ring drawing [In reply to] Can't Post

Gives the place a kind of just moved in look, which obviously doesn't fit with the book.

You mean like the candles attached to the fireplace, near the ceiling, with no soot stains on the ceiling? Angelic

Edit: Or the lack of soot stains in the rear of the fireplace. Angelic

Edit again: Of course, I won't mention the bright light source that seems to come from the far end of the cave that contains Gollum and Bilbo... I guess the shadows Gollum lurks in are more like the shadows found under a coffee table. Angelic

The thing is, I really like some of the Hildebrandt paintings... I just go kinda crazy on some details.

(This post was edited by JPB on Feb 19 2007, 2:10am)

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 3:11am

Post #9 of 29 (10148 views)
Shortcut
Reactions [In reply to] Can't Post

"Mines of Moria" -- Gandalf looks pretty good, but the Balrog looks furry rather than fiery.

"Journey to the Dark Tower" -- What? Gandalf, Frodo, Gimli and Legolas striding along past a big tree within viewing distance of Barad-dur? When does that happen?

"The One Ring" -- I thought it was acceptable, but loved everyone's comments about the furniture (or lack thereof).

"Bilbo and Gollum" -- I cannot take that Gollum seriously.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 3:27am

Post #10 of 29 (10136 views)
Shortcut
parting is such sweet sorrow [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mines of Moria: who is Gandalf turned towards and how on Middle Earth can that Balrog sword be so big?

Journey to the Dark Tower: I like the homage to Tolkien's art with Gandalf's extended hand and finger. Very well done overall.

The One Ring: Forget the lack of furniture and smoke stains, why is Gandalf asking for the Ring? I mean, sure he wants to throw it in the fire, but why choose to illustrate the moment when he asks for the Ring?

Bilbo and Gollum: Gollum has his pants here, that counts for something. The influence of this cave image in the movie is clear.

Thank you drogo, for an illuminating week.Smile

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 4:01am

Post #11 of 29 (10174 views)
Shortcut
If anyone's interested after all this [In reply to] Can't Post

I found several copies of the <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Tolkien-Brothers-Hildebrandt-2006-Calendar/dp/1416210717>2006 Hildebrandt Bros. calendar</a> for $1 each; if anyone would like one let me know. (talavera1809 @ hotmail .com). I know the Aragorn - Arwen picture is in it, and Frodo-stands-and-waves-his-arms-while-Gandalf-tells-him-the-tale, and ...er, 10 others. Which I will go get the calendar and identify if anyone's that interested.

TORn – where everybody knows your name!
And J.R.R. Tolkien’s middle names… and the name of his publisher’s son … and the name of Aragorn’s great-great-great- grandfather on his mother’s side… and what Frodo’s name almost was…

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 19 2007, 4:03am

Post #12 of 29 (10115 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Aerlinn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not interested myself, but what a timely gesture!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Feb. 12-18: Tim & Greg Hildebrandt.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 4:06am

Post #13 of 29 (10127 views)
Shortcut
*psst* I think the reason your link didn't work [In reply to] Can't Post

might have been because you forgot the quotes around the address. Not sure, but maybe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 4:10am

Post #14 of 29 (10133 views)
Shortcut
*&% [In reply to] Can't Post

Back to the FAQ. Thanks...

And J.R.R. Tolkien’s middle names… and the name of his publisher’s son … and the name of Aragorn’s great-great-great- grandfather on his mother’s side… and what Frodo’s name almost was…

Reera the Red
Rivendell

Feb 19 2007, 4:16am

Post #15 of 29 (10159 views)
Shortcut
It's also possible... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that she didn't have one of the HTML modes selected in the editor. To use HTML in your post, you need to be in the Basic Editor and under "Post Style" at the top you need to select either HTML or Markup and HTML. Otherwise, the board software will nuke your HTML when it's posted and you'll just see the raw code.

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 4:17am

Post #16 of 29 (10127 views)
Shortcut
It's official [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer the old boards.

FantasyFan
Rohan

Feb 19 2007, 10:48am

Post #17 of 29 (10093 views)
Shortcut
it needs [ ] [In reply to] Can't Post

HTML here uses [ square brackets ] instead of <pointy brackets>. I remember that from the FAQ. But I don't know all the other subtleties.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

Reera the Red
Rivendell

Feb 19 2007, 10:52am

Post #18 of 29 (10125 views)
Shortcut
No, that's Markup. [In reply to] Can't Post

You can use either "Markup" (which is what this board calls BBcode, often used on message boards) or HTML in messages. Markup uses the square brackets; HTML uses the angle ones. Either will work, but you have to let the editor know which one(s) you're using.

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 19 2007, 12:19pm

Post #19 of 29 (10124 views)
Shortcut
can I use html in my post if [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You can use either "Markup" (which is what this board calls BBcode, often used on message boards) or HTML in messages. Markup uses the square brackets; HTML uses the angle ones. Either will work, but you have to let the editor know which one(s) you're using.

I know this has been gone over in faqs and on the other boards, but I can't seem to hold it in my brain:

If I want to be able to use html in my posts, what do I have to set my profile settings too? Right now I have "markup and html" chosen, but I also have "advanced editor" chosen.

Thanks in advance.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

Reera the Red
Rivendell

Feb 19 2007, 12:30pm

Post #20 of 29 (10108 views)
Shortcut
You need to switch to the Basic Editor... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if you want to use HTML instead of Markup. The Advanced Editor is Markup only and won't handle your HTML correctly. The Basic Editor allows both (if you have Markup and HTML selected for Post Style.)

Alraune
The Shire

Feb 19 2007, 7:30pm

Post #21 of 29 (10104 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, drogo, that was fun. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also had several of the calendars on my wall long ago, and seeing them again brought back little wisps of that first time reader feeling. Enjoyed it very much.

Morwen
Rohan

Feb 19 2007, 7:46pm

Post #22 of 29 (10068 views)
Shortcut
Yes, thanks Drogo [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I learned that I like the Hildebrandts work better than I thought I did.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 9:12pm

Post #23 of 29 (10087 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mines of Moria

The Balrog looks like a Jack Kirby villain, like "Balroar, Herald of Sauron" or something.

Journey to the Dark Tower

An R. Crumb poster for Middle-earth: "Keep on Truckin'!"

the One Ring

They're awfully close to that fire. I'm smelling a combination of burnt hobbit hair and wizard robe.

Bilbo and Gollum

OMG! What's with the sideburns and pompadour??

So that's what they meant by "Elvis Medicine"!!!

"Nice ring. Thank ya', thank ya' vera much!!"

"Attention goblins: Bilbo has left the cavern!!"

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Sometime hours and hours hence:
In The Green Dragon two ales could buy
And drank the one less filling I
And that has made all the difference.

- The Ale Less Filling by Robert Frostymug

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 20 2007, 11:02pm

Post #24 of 29 (10081 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, drogo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I know why, even though I was one who "grew up" on the Hildebrandts, their artwork has generally been somewhat disturbing. I appreciate all that goes into each painting; but I fear that they have done what Tolkien despised, and that is, "Disney-fying" his work.

No comments on these, except for one: yes, at least Gollum's wearing pants!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road, or a secret gate...

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 21 2007, 8:22am

Post #25 of 29 (10070 views)
Shortcut
Mahalo Nui Loa [In reply to] Can't Post

for a very stimulating week. i am sorry I didn't get over here sooner, I have been busy with certain technical issues.

I like the 'Mines of Moria' image in general, The composition is made more elegant than most of their images by the use of curved shapes: teh whip, the bridge, the wing edge. Gandalf's posture...etc. I like how Gandalf's wand is lighted. It has good contrast adn visal interst.

I do NOT like their interpretation of the Balrog with the rippling muscles. Somehow I want the bridge to be more archaic and crumbling, not so neat. It shoule looks thousands of years old, I think.

you did an excellant job of organinzing the images. I only hope I can do so well. Thank-you.

Websites Directory, my drawings,Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.