Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Anyone here play Lord of the rings Online?

LordotRings93
Rohan

May 26 2008, 10:59pm

Post #1 of 25 (663 views)
Shortcut
Anyone here play Lord of the rings Online? Can't Post

If so, what server do you play on? I play on Landroval as a hobbit, Crodoe Baggons.

The HUGEST Lord of the Rings fan ever!
Owner of all LOTR merchandise.
In 2011-2012, The Hobbit is going there and back again.
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

acheron
Gondor

May 27 2008, 12:07am

Post #2 of 25 (408 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

On Windfola. Main character is a Man Hunter, Alaraman Linden from Bree. Also have several other characters (all on Windfola).

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 27 2008, 3:29am

Post #3 of 25 (362 views)
Shortcut
A bit [In reply to] Can't Post

I sadly don't play often and am STUMPED why we don't have a greater representation from TORn. Somehow we manage not to be a gaming crowd. Tis a pitty.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

Hobbiton
Rivendell

May 27 2008, 7:52am

Post #4 of 25 (312 views)
Shortcut
Question [In reply to] Can't Post

If I buy this game and a game card do I have to pay a server to play on? Why are there different servers?

I'm a noob at computer gaming, I'm a console man.

LordotRings93
Rohan

May 27 2008, 11:01am

Post #5 of 25 (329 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

You just buy the game and game card, and pick your server and your on your way.

acheron
Gondor

May 27 2008, 2:22pm

Post #6 of 25 (359 views)
Shortcut
clarification [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a monthly fee for the game, ranging from $10 to $15 depending on how many months at a time you pay for, if there's a sale going on, etc.

At www.lotro.com you can download the game and do a free trial for 10 days to see if you like it.

And the different servers are mainly just to spread the load around, and keep areas from getting too crowded.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

(This post was edited by acheron on May 27 2008, 2:23pm)

vtboyarc
Lorien

May 28 2008, 3:45pm

Post #7 of 25 (318 views)
Shortcut
darn fee [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah I got into the beta, and played for free for a while before the game was officially was released, I liked it. But when it was time to pay a fee, I quit. I'm waiting for Conquest.

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and its worth fighting for.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

May 28 2008, 7:27pm

Post #8 of 25 (289 views)
Shortcut
Because [In reply to] Can't Post

my stupid laptop won't play it without grinding to a halt! I'm planning on splashing out on a fancy new PC sometime over Christmas, so will probably join then. For now, I'm still waiting for a LoTR themed RPG to be released for my XBox360!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

vtboyarc
Lorien

May 28 2008, 7:35pm

Post #9 of 25 (289 views)
Shortcut
well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lord of the Rings: Conquest looks fun. Probably the best and most advanced LotR game, when it comes out.

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and its worth fighting for.

LordotRings93
Rohan

May 28 2008, 7:44pm

Post #10 of 25 (370 views)
Shortcut
LOTR COnquest is gonna be great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot wait to get LOTR: Conquest for X360. I am also getting the expansion for LOTRO: LOTRO Mines of Moria. Both come out THIS FALL!

Photobucket

Artanis
Rohan

May 29 2008, 11:29am

Post #11 of 25 (305 views)
Shortcut
Just a question [In reply to] Can't Post

about LOTR Conquest. At the minute my husband and I are going through Return of the King on his xbox 360 (he is a huge gamer and has enjoyed it much to my delight Sly) so I'm very interested in getting something a bit more upto date for us.

Anyway is there a trailer for LOTR conquest or a demo?

I personally am very intrigued by the online LOTR but having to pay again does put me off. Is it really that good?

Artanis

acheron
Gondor

May 29 2008, 2:44pm

Post #12 of 25 (527 views)
Shortcut
try it [In reply to] Can't Post

I always resisted the monthly-fee games too, but gave the free trial of LOTRO a chance, and I got hooked. :)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2008, 6:59pm

Post #13 of 25 (242 views)
Shortcut
I'm on Elendilmir [In reply to] Can't Post

And I am *always* on the forums as well- as Laire. People know me pretty well xD

It's a pity we don't have more people from TORn playing. It's an amazing game.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

glorfin
The Shire

Jun 5 2008, 4:07pm

Post #14 of 25 (238 views)
Shortcut
Tried the Beta [In reply to] Can't Post

And found it boring as anything. Run kill this, run kill that. And i couldn't find anything to explain the crafts or what-have-you secondaries, skill info, etc. and was totally disappointed with the world itself (remember this is the beta one, maybe it started looking/acting more like ME after that). Absolutely no one was into rp at all, which was another disappointment. Also, from what i read, it can't be soloed, my preferred style of play, so i went back to my other mmoprgs and uninstalled it.
They recently sent an offer to me, but without casting (another preferred style of play) and solo-ability, there is nothing to bring me back.

Glorfin has no footer. Glorfin needs no footer.

acheron
Gondor

Jun 5 2008, 4:22pm

Post #15 of 25 (298 views)
Shortcut
lots of solo content [In reply to] Can't Post

It's very easy to solo most of the game, you could easily make level 50 without grouping once if you wanted. The "epic book" quests have some grouping requirements but generally it's easy to find a group for the few quests that really need it. Maybe it was different early on (though everything I've read suggests it's always been somewhat towards the soloable end of the spectrum; apparently we read different things :) ), but it's definitely soloable now. Actually, a lot of players on the official forums apparently equate "solo" with "easy" and have been complaining that the game is too easy now, since there's so much solo content, and they want more 20-man raids and **** like that. *shrug*

I haven't noticed much RPing, no.

Not sure how you reconcile "want the world to feel like ME" with "want to cast spells" -- you still can't play as Gandalf, you know. ;) The loremaster class is sort of spell-y, though, if that's what you want, but that's been around since the beginning so if it didn't work for you before I don't think it's all that different.

Anyway, it's fine if you don't like it, I just wanted to clear up the "non-solo" misperception.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jun 5 2008, 7:47pm

Post #16 of 25 (264 views)
Shortcut
Landroval server has tons of RPing [In reply to] Can't Post

The Landroval server has mostly every player RPing. Then the others are just MMOholics. Which kind of bugs me. Feels like most people who play the game play it for the MMO experience and not for the LOTR. I HATE MMOs. I only play LOTRO for the LOTR part, haha.

Photobucket

glorfin
The Shire

Jun 6 2008, 5:20am

Post #17 of 25 (208 views)
Shortcut
we must read different things [In reply to] Can't Post

Think it was in the magazine my husband reads. Several times.
Anyway, i like more range and less melee, and have heard ranger type classes aren't so good for solo play.
Maybe i'll give it another shot.
So to speak.
I meant ranged stuff versus melee in the caster comment.
I don't know about the ME feel thing, except that it looked and played like everything else instead of ... i dunno, something different from every other game, i suppose.
I still may try it.
Is there a guide that is helpful?
Just curious.

merklynn
Lorien

Jun 7 2008, 4:01am

Post #18 of 25 (239 views)
Shortcut
My problem with LOTRO [In reply to] Can't Post

I played it briefly under the free trial, but I found I got a little bored. I just wanted to get to explore Middle-earth and I found myself stuck in whatever spot the tutorial/beginners story arc was set. I felt limited in several aspects... I wanted to see and feel like I was in my favorite locations in Middle-earth. I wanted to interact with people who wanted to roleplay in the world of LOTR, not just hack n slash. I really liked the films for their architecture and set design and wanted to see something comparable or the same as that visually, and instead it seems almost nothing is drawn from the movies. I also wanted a little more than just being limited to the same sort of costume and appearance as so many other users. This is just a general attitude I have in any MMO, I want to be an individual. I wanted to care about the character I had created by being satisfied with their look... but you get stuck with having to wear whatever scraps you salvage from your fallen enemies or can afford to buy. So the beginning stages of the game killed it for me with my short patience.

For these reasons LOTRO probably isn't for me. Although I think it would be more enjoyable if there was a tORN clan/group in LOTRO which I could be a part of.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jun 7 2008, 1:35pm

Post #19 of 25 (217 views)
Shortcut
We should make a kinship [In reply to] Can't Post

On Landroval. We can call it "The One Ring" and be a RP group. Be pretty cool if you ask me.

Photobucket

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2008, 7:22am

Post #20 of 25 (199 views)
Shortcut
On the contrary, hunter is one of the best solo classes [In reply to] Can't Post

My main is a hunter and she solos very well. You will not be soloing 5 mobs at a time, mind you, but I have survived four that were close to my level. You just have to plan ahead if you want to take up more than 2 mobs near your level. But that is the same for many classes. Even minstrels, the healers, have hard times with 4 or more.

Lore-master is also ranged, as a caster, and is so solo-friendly it's not even funny. No other class can solo a 45k mob. Overpowered :P

However, you *have* to get to 20-30 on the class before you get a good feel for it, especially lore master.

My LJ
My art site
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2008, 7:28am

Post #21 of 25 (191 views)
Shortcut
That's a problem... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hack n Slash is simply part of the MMO world. You can, however, explore as much as you want (at least, what the game has set up so far). It just gets pretty difficult when you're really low and you are in a place where the mobs are 20-30 levels higher than you :P However, I do know that level 15s still do runs to Rivendell (a more 35-40+ place), so it's possible.

A year after beta they have added a lot more places for people to quest, especially for soloers. I nearly leveled one of my toons all the way to 50 with little grouping, all questing.

The MMO *is* based on the books, not the movies. And, frankly put, I like their Rivendell and Bree better than the films'. It's all a matter of opinion.

I do have news for you: on both Landroval and Elendilmir there are tons of RPers. If you join a kinship simply made for RPing, you'll find that you'll be doing that as often as you want. Also, about 6 months ago they added a decorative clothing tab. So you can literally wear anything you want without losing your stats after level 20. Customization in the clothing area has improved greatly.

I recommend you give it another try, and to check out the LOTRO forums concerning an RP kinship. You may have a hard time exploring as much as you'd like, but you'll find plenty of RPers, customability, etc now. And, IMO, it's only getting better.

My LJ
My art site

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2008, 7:31am

Post #22 of 25 (218 views)
Shortcut
That's a bit... over-exaggerated [In reply to] Can't Post

Or do you not know that Elendilmir was the RP server back in beta? We still have RPers there.

There are plenty of Tolkien fans on other servers. As for me, I am friends with those who play it for the MMO part and those who play it for the LOTR part.

And there *are* people who do it for both reasons, you know.

My LJ
My art site

glorfin
The Shire

Jun 19 2008, 2:33am

Post #23 of 25 (212 views)
Shortcut
Tried it again [In reply to] Can't Post

Still find the world stunning, but the game tedious.
*sigh*
I'll keep plugging and see if it gets better after the first 10 levels. But, so far it's all fetch and fight stuff ...
I'm moving so i am tired. If i am awake and play maybe it won't feel so much like, click, 3, 5, 4 hit hit hit loot repeat....
Anyone else have trouble with the map at first?
Like i said, still really tired from the move, so I will try it again when conscious.
Still like the books best, though...
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for the delay.
Computer hard to access when it is still in a pile of boxes...

Gondorian_Ranger
Rivendell

Jul 15 2008, 6:03am

Post #24 of 25 (224 views)
Shortcut
Played through the trial and enjoyed every day of it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried the 14 day trial and loved it. In that time I leveled a Man Hunter to 24, Anthelas Woodstrider of Gondor was his name. I also progressed a savage Orc Reaver to rank 3, he went by the name of Mukrut Cruelspit. I didn't make my stay in Turbine's Middle-earth permanent because I didn't want to pay the monthly subscription fee as I had done with World of Warcraft for the best part of 2007.

If you want to enjoy the game to it's fullest it's going to cost you, unfortunately. To play at top graphics you'll need quite a powerful system. As people tend to spend so much of their free time playing MMO's it's probably worth the money just for the stunning beauty of Middle-earth when played at max settings. The game is highly recommended. Smile

"The city of Osgiliath has been reclaimed, FOR GONDOR!"
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Gondorian_Ranger on Jul 15 2008, 6:09am)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2008, 4:30pm

Post #25 of 25 (230 views)
Shortcut
I just bought it... [In reply to] Can't Post

and will be setting it up shortly...

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.