Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Fascinating report on the FOTR live concert at Wolf Trap

Magpie
Immortal

May 26 2008, 4:57pm

Post #1 of 9 (757 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating report on the FOTR live concert at Wolf Trap Can't Post

I know in the past, there has been some interest in behind the scene (often from the perspective of the choir) reports on the LOTR symphony. Doug Adams has a couple of just such reports at his blog on the recent Wolf Trap performance of the FOTR score set to the film. Especially interesting to me was the one by Kathryn Tidyman. She discusses, in depth: the rehearsals, the miking, finding their own pitch, the conductor not being able to actually hear the choir as he's conducting them, and watching the movie (and reading the subtitles looking for cues) backwards. I found it fascinating and thought some of you might too. (follow either of the links in this post to read them)

The reports have been posted in quite small text. I had to enlarge the text to read. For me, I can do that simply by holding the Control key down while hitting the + key (You don't have to worry about shifting). You can do this as many times as you like. To return the text to regular size, do Control and the - (minus) key.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

May 27 2008, 1:57am

Post #2 of 9 (343 views)
Shortcut
Hooray! They're doing TT next year!/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Sunflower
Valinor

May 27 2008, 2:53am

Post #3 of 9 (322 views)
Shortcut
You are a saint Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the tips on how to enlarge the text...I have no problem reading it, but it does get to be a nuisance after a while...Crazy.I am printing this part of Doug's blog out, adding it to my Hobbit Scrapbook (I still have the box containing my LOTR "Scrapbook").

GREAT read by Kathryn especially! I have never experienced a "concert" like this...it was my dream as a kid to make it to a John Williams performance but I never was able to catch him when he went on tour, so to speak...my personal dream, and goal, is to make to a live ROTK rendition, pref with SHore but hey Wolf Trap 2 yrs from now would be fine....I have to start saving I guess! Kinda tough though as I am already saving for the U2 tour next year....

P.S. I made it to Gondor --FINALLY--I'm now past my 1000th post! Woo Hoo!!

(This post was edited by Sunflower on May 27 2008, 2:55am)

Magpie
Immortal

May 27 2008, 3:15am

Post #4 of 9 (374 views)
Shortcut
Control + [In reply to] Can't Post

...is a lifesaver when I find myself at my monitor w/o my reading glasses!

acheron
Gondor

May 27 2008, 4:15am

Post #5 of 9 (308 views)
Shortcut
I'll be there! // [In reply to] Can't Post

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 27 2008, 2:13pm

Post #6 of 9 (308 views)
Shortcut
*catches breath* This is wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

It gives me a much deeper appreciation for the dedication to honour the work of the films, the music, and Tolkien. Wow...

Thanks so much Magpie :) Wonderful!!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Magpie
Immortal

May 28 2008, 12:02am

Post #7 of 9 (303 views)
Shortcut
It was good, wasn't it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if I ever could have imagined being that fascinated with the inner workings of a concert. Also, it's nice to see a widening of spheres as the soundtracks catch more and more people into their entrancement.

One side effect of these movie symphonies is we are getting more clues as to lyrics. Doug has been clear that he does not see a need to deal with what is being sung in each instance. He feels only the overall source texts are important. I can appreciate his viewpoint but I don't think he understands what drives those of us who want the lyrics. We want to sing along. We might not ever get the singing for the extended scenes but I have received a copy of all the singing for the theatrical release. There's some nice information in there that's basically sitting in a holding pen waiting for me to get to it.

and, one last comment: Doug might have read the thread here since he's now enlarged that tiny text I was commenting on. It's much easier to read now and I probably wouldn't need to enlarge it anymore.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 28 2008, 1:47am

Post #8 of 9 (410 views)
Shortcut
Especially the Elvish [In reply to] Can't Post

I've sung along phonically for so long, that having the words has shown me how incredibly beautiful the lyrics really are. It humbles me... like a kid trying to sing Frara Jaka ;)

If he's smart, he's reading your posts. You're a treasure.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 28 2008, 1:48am)

Sunflower
Valinor

May 28 2008, 4:58am

Post #9 of 9 (301 views)
Shortcut
Ditto that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've even gone to the trouble of taking out Renee Fleming CD's from the library, as she mentions her LOTR sessions in one of them, and trying to see if she revisited any of the cues there!

Clearly Doug has never tried to put himself in the shoes of a rabid LOTR, Shore fan as well as ordinary Music Lover. He should try to relate to being in the audience...he just can't imagine the wave (and it really IS a "wave") of emotion emanating from the stage and the people around you as they in their turn react to a powerful performance. I haven't had the privilege of experiencing this at a orchestral performance, but I remember being at a couple really great rock concerts, the best of them U2 concerts, where people around me were weeping openly. Heck, I remember the band's performance at Madison Square Garden on October 22, 2001, and even the band was visibly crying...notoriously tough drummer Larry Mullen included....there is nothing like it in the world. In fact, the band's 2005 song "City Of Blinding Lights", a Vertigo Tour live favorite, was --according to Bono--inspired by his looking around at the emotional crowd at that very show. I believe it.

I have only experienced a performance of scattered cues of Shore's LOTR score from a high school orchestra, and it gave me the chills. I can only imagine what the real deal would be like!

(This post was edited by Sunflower on May 28 2008, 5:01am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.