Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
A suggestion for 1.1

Pallando
Lorien

Mar 15 2007, 11:30pm

Post #1 of 9 (174 views)
Shortcut
A suggestion for 1.1 Can't Post

OK, I love this new board. I’ll just say it. Yesterday was the first time I laid eyes on it.

But here is one design feature change I would recommend if you ever get around to it. (this is probably moot, I know, because of all the time you folks just spent on getting the present design up and OUT.)

But I've designed Web sites as if that means anything, but I’ve always thought that one of the primary objectives in designing a page is that the main activity users are there to do must be EASY and INTUITIVE. (Of course there's always "Find Waldo".) But the question is “what action do most people do during a TORN session and where is a logical place they would look to do it?”

As for the activity (I believe): GETTING BACK TO THE MAIN LIST OF POSTS – the “starting point” for doing most things. You have to get there at some point no matter what else you do: check new posts, post a message, answer a post, write a PM, anything.

And for "how to get there" I found – as a newbie on this board – that I was always attracted to those rings at the top to get me where I wanted to go! Then I finally learned to look for a little green button lurking somewhere near the bottom.

So I vote that when you are ready for 1.1 you consider slightly changing what's on the ring menus. First definitely should be Back_to_Board or some such, then Post_a_Message and up there also should be somewhere FAQs and if you still have room, Send_Mail. You decide the rest!

But gee, I love this new board!!

Pallando

For I also am a steward. Did you not know?

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 16 2007, 2:53am

Post #2 of 9 (85 views)
Shortcut
Have you noticed [In reply to] Can't Post

the links at the top of the board?

Beneath the rings and above the message title, I see:

The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback

Clicking on Feedback will take me back to the thread listing for this board.

Clicking on TheOneRing.net will take me back to the Forum list for this section of the site. In this case, you'd see only the link to the Feedback board, but if you were in the Tolkien Topics section, clicking on that would take you to the forum list that includes Main, Movie, etc.

Clicking on The One Ring Forums is the same as clicking the "Main Index" ring - it takes you to the complete forum list.

I find these links very helpful for navigating about the boards. I use them much more often than the forum jump menu at the bottom of the page.

Silverlode

Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The genius and the plan thus inspired
Depart me and I, entering a room,
Find myself on the threshold, stand still
And wonder what I came to do there.

Pallando
Lorien

Mar 16 2007, 6:39am

Post #3 of 9 (68 views)
Shortcut
Below the rings I see buttons that say... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Previous Thread" "Next Thread" "Watch Thread" Print Thread" and "View Flat Mode" as I'm reading your post. Would be nice to have "Back to Board" there too. But I *could* have edited my profile if I felt so compelled.

Really, though, I appreciate your suggestion. I'll start looking for those buttons or under them and maybe find some shortcuts.

Best,
Pallando

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 16 2007, 7:11am

Post #4 of 9 (61 views)
Shortcut
So [In reply to] Can't Post

you are not seeing this text below the rings

The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:

or maybe, depending what area of the forum you are in The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:

and above the "Previous Thread" "Next Thread" "Watch Thread" etc buttons?

Those are links that either a) take you back to the main menu of the forum b) take you back to just the subjects contained in each set forum (Tolkien Topics, Off Topic etc} and c) to the actual board section (ie feedback)

I know they are only written words without being obviously links, but thats what they are. Hold the mouse over them :) They change and a line appears under the one you hold the mouse over and changes colour. And even the topic subject line in green below is a link :)

If in doubt, move the mouse over it and see if something is a link. Lots of 'words' on this forum are links now. Nicks are only bold not underlined for example. But a mouse over them changes the colour and underlines them.

Hope that helps :)

FWIW I don't see a need to have 'back to board' or whatever like we had on the old boards. Maybe if the back to forum/sub forum/threads links were buttons it might help, but I think that would be overkill of buttons on a page tbh ;) But there, thoughts from me.

'I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style.'

'Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.'

What I am listening to

New boards = new nick. Registered User formerly known as Arwenelf

Pallando
Lorien

Mar 16 2007, 5:12pm

Post #5 of 9 (62 views)
Shortcut
I see what you are talking about now... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but you were right - I didn't recognize them as links because the don't look like links. But they serve the purpose of my first post (but still think it ort t' be in a ring).

Thanks for setting me straight.

P.

btw, what's with the big mouth that appeared next to one of my posts here. Is someone trying to make a (probably valid) point. Who can access to the system to put one of those smilies next to someone's post? Admin only?

Thanks

Aerlinn
Lorien

Mar 16 2007, 7:40pm

Post #6 of 9 (63 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

If you go to the bottom of the page (control-end is always fun), there's a green button that says "Jump to forum". The default in the option box is the forum the thread you're reading is in, but it can be changed to any of them.

I always forget about the link at the top there...

Aerlinn's Law #15 (maybe 16... 17?): Whatever I say goes.

In one ear and out the other.

My TORn archives - to be updated sooner or later

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 16 2007, 9:46pm

Post #7 of 9 (59 views)
Shortcut
The big mouth [In reply to] Can't Post

(green smilie icon) is added by the user who makes the post (you can see a whole row of little icons above the subject line when you are composing a message, with buttons that enable you to select one). I don't know why an admin would have added one to your post; you must have clicked on the button without knowing what it would do, I guess. Anyway, IMHO, they're a really annoying feature, and I wish people wouldn't use them.

Pallando
Lorien

Mar 17 2007, 1:14am

Post #8 of 9 (54 views)
Shortcut
Can you get rid of them once they are there? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(green smilie icon) is added by the user who makes the post (you can see a whole row of little icons above the subject line when you are composing a message, with buttons that enable you to select one). I don't know why an admin would have added one to your post; you must have clicked on the button without knowing what it would do, I guess. Anyway, IMHO, they're a really annoying feature, and I wish people wouldn't use them.

Alnilam
Rivendell

Mar 17 2007, 1:36am

Post #9 of 9 (72 views)
Shortcut
Testing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll try editing after posting.

Edit: Yep. If you edit your post within the 10-minute window, you can take it away.

Otherwise you would have to ask an admin.

Alnilam's Realm
From the Old TORN Boards: Top 5 Browsers/OSs:
1. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (1568)
2. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (890)
3. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (464)
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98 (175)
5. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (136)

(This post was edited by Alnilam on Mar 17 2007, 1:37am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.