The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Happy Chinese New Year!

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 4:11pm

Post #1 of 22 (3180 views)
Shortcut
Happy Chinese New Year! Can't Post

2007 in the Chinese Lunar calendar marks the Year of the Boar (or Pig)

YEAR OF THE BOAR
Those born in 1923, 1935, 1947, 1959, 1971, 1983, 1995, 2007
It is a busy year for boars. As fire boars compete with other boars for pecking order, boars needs to exercise kindness to avoid unnecessary arguments and getting emotional with friends and loved ones. Boars also need to follow the law, as they will go into a troublesome year in 2008. Boars born in winter could use the picture or statute of a tiger to help resolve issues with other people.

Characteristics of the boar: The boar is a noble, affectionate, generous and gallant zodiac animal that creates an atmosphere of easy life, free spirit and abundance or wealth. The boar cherishes friendship, carries few resentments and rarely stabs people in the back. Because of that, friends always remain at the boar’s side. Boars love to participate in social events and charitable functions and tend to have lavish lifestyles and indulge in entertainment, parties and eating.
Boar is traditionally a lucky and happy zodiac symbol in ancient China.

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 7:16pm

Post #2 of 22 (3005 views)
Shortcut
Gong Xi Fat Choi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, I know I spelled that all wrong. Maybe mawguy (who's a girl!Crazy) can come around and spell it right.

My mom and mom in law are boars and the description holds pretty true except for the lavish lifestyle part.
Anyone care to share their Chinese animal signs?
I'm a dog, woof, and my year just passed, not too memorably I might add.Unsure
We need a doggy icon.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 7:25pm

Post #3 of 22 (2975 views)
Shortcut
Re: [linkin-artelf] Gong Xi Fat Choi! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was born in the Year of the Rat; this is what the Chinese Zodiac has to say about us:

'You are imaginative, charming, and truly generous to the person you love. However, you have a tendency to be quick-tempered and overly critical. You are also inclined to be somewhat of an opportunist. Born under this sign, you should be happy in sales or as a writer, critic, or publicist.'

I guess I will let people who know me decide if this is true or not!

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 7:27pm

Post #4 of 22 (2927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [deej] Happy Chinese New Year! [In reply to] Can't Post

OK I'm a boar. But how do I find out if I'm a fire boar or whatever?

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 7:31pm

Post #5 of 22 (2970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [linkin-artelf] Gong Xi Fat Choi! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a snake:

Rich in wisdom and charm, you are romantic and deep thinking and your intuition guides you strongly. Avoid procrastination and your stingy attitude towards money. Keep your sense of humor about life. The Snake would be most content as a teacher, philosopher, writer, psychiatrist, and fortune teller.

LOL! I really should be following that "avoid procrastination" guideline. *looks to unfinished homework* And DANG IT, even my zodiac tells me that I should be a teacher. My mother would be laughing right now...

My LJ
My art site

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 7:33pm

Post #6 of 22 (2932 views)
Shortcut
Here ya go [In reply to] Can't Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_of_the_pig

Heart Wikipedia.

I'm an earth snake myself.

My LJ
My art site

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 7:39pm

Post #7 of 22 (2938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FingonOfPittsburgh] Happy Chinese New Year! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
OK I'm a boar. But how do I find out if I'm a fire boar or whatever?

I found this handy reference so that you can determine what kind of boar you are:

Persons born within these date ranges can be said to have been born in the "year of the Boar," while also bearing the following elemental sign:

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 7:41pm

Post #8 of 22 (2943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ainu Laire] Here ya go [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_of_the_pig

Heart Wikipedia.

I'm an earth snake myself.

Wiki FTW. Thanks!

Looks like I'm a Metal Boar..... Unsure

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 7:46pm

Post #9 of 22 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Hey deej.

Chinese new year greetings all and one, one and all...

I was born in the year of the tiger...and a fire tiger at that.

-e_H-
also known as elvendala

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 8:14pm

Post #10 of 22 (2939 views)
Shortcut
I'm a Tiger [In reply to] Can't Post

Which kinda goes with being a Leo as well, I guess. My hubby is a Boar, two of my children are Roosters and one is a Dog. The two Roosters couldn't be more different, although one is classic and so is the Dog.

Like most astrology, you can pick and choose your traits.

There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark.

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 8:21pm

Post #11 of 22 (2927 views)
Shortcut
I have the bad luck of being born... [In reply to] Can't Post

... a Fire Horse.

Not only that, but I was born under a Blue Moon.

Shoot me now.

mawguy
The Shire

Feb 18 2007, 9:03pm

Post #12 of 22 (2926 views)
Shortcut

Happy Chinese New Year! Kung Hay Fat Choy! Gong Xi Fa Cai!

it's been all about eating this weekend.

and while not strictly CNY food, who can resist dimsum:

oh, i'm a fire snake, apparently.

"Alas for us all! And for all that walk the world in these after-days. For such is the way of it: to find and lose, as it seems to those whose boat is on the running stream. But I count you blessed, Gimli son of Glóin: for your loss you suffer of your own free will, and you might have chosen otherwise. But you have not forsaken your companions, and the least reward that you shall have is that the memory of Lothlórien shall remain ever clear and unstained in your heart, and shall neither fade nor grow stale."

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 9:08pm

Post #13 of 22 (2911 views)
Shortcut
Both the Norwegian and the Swedish news [In reply to] Can't Post

told about how lots of Chinese have planned to have their one baby this year, since it's considered lucky to be a boar. Same reportage, they just switched subtitles. Boring. No use in more than one TVchannel that way.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 11:32pm

Post #14 of 22 (2922 views)
Shortcut
I'm a metal dog [In reply to] Can't Post

My dog side says I'm loyal, honest and inspire confidence, but can be selfish, stubborn and eccentric.

The metal side says I'm organised and stable, unyielding, persistent, strong, determined, self-reliant and someone who enjoys the good things in life.

I'm not sure I *like* my Chinese zodiac...

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Radhruin
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 11:39pm

Post #15 of 22 (2919 views)
Shortcut
Horse here [In reply to] Can't Post

People born in the Year of the Horse are popular. They are cheerful, skillful with money, and perceptive, although they sometimes talk too much. The are wise, talented, good with their hands, and sometimes have a weakness for members of the opposite sex. They are impatient and hot-blooded about everything except their daily work. They like entertainment and large crowds. They are very independent and rarely listen to advice. They are most compatible with Tigers, Dogs, and Sheep.

Ha ha. I don't think this description could be further from my personality. I'm rarely cheerful and I have a hole in my pocket when it comes to money! About the only thing that applies to me is: They are impatient and hot-blooded about everything except their daily work. And that is the truth! Unsure

Formerly ExtraordinaryElvenKing

Nerdanel
Rivendell

Feb 19 2007, 1:10am

Post #16 of 22 (2913 views)
Shortcut
Stand back, everyone, Dragon coming through. [In reply to] Can't Post

Water dragon, to be precise.

The Dragon is omnipotent. He/she is flamboyant, attractive and full of vitality and strength. In China, the Dragon is the sign of the Emperor of China or the male element Yang. The Dragon is the symbol of power and wealth. It would be right to say that people born in the year of the dragon have a natural charisma and are certainly gifted with power and luck. It is unlikely for them to escape unnoticed from a party or to take second place in a competition. The dragon person has an active mind and shows an unfeigned interest in the world around him/her. This person is also self-confident enough to know how to create a necessary impression. Because they are larger than life themselves, dragon people like to do everything on a grand scale. They are egotistical and ambitious, almost to the point of megalomania, and will stop at nothing to get what they want.

That's me alright.

CAhobbit
Rohan

Feb 19 2007, 4:06am

Post #17 of 22 (2897 views)
Shortcut
Happy Chinese New Year! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was born in the year of the horse (the earth horse at that). I'm said to be....

The horse personality is often willing to give as well as expect a lot of liberty. These people are extremely independent and confident. The horse person is very quick-witted, inquisitive and determined. They are very good at recognizing patterns: he or she is on to the thought in your mind even before you've expressed it. In general, these people are gifted. But in truth they are often more cunning than intelligent - and they surely know that. They adore being the centre of everyone's attention, but they prefer to be recognized for their skills and are easily flattered. On the other hand these people have an honesty and genuine warmth which attracts lots of people and helps them make new friends. People as a rule confide in a horse person because he/she is sincerely interested in their thoughts and feelings and is able to help with both wise words and an action, but there is a small problem about it - the horse person is so excited by new discoveries that it is difficult for them to keep a secret. This is not something that arises out of malice or revenge - sometimes they just cannot help themselves.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

Patty
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 7:15am

Post #18 of 22 (2912 views)
Shortcut
Mawguy your pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

are making me so hungry. Especially the egg rolls.
But I'm not up for eating out right now. Our local news just did a behind the scenes look at how many of our local restaurants (many of the Chinese take-outs) have many health violations. Just ew.

Lord Peter Wimsey's Main Squeeze

mawguy
The Shire

Feb 19 2007, 3:00pm

Post #19 of 22 (2889 views)
Shortcut
eating chinese outside the home [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
are making me so hungry. Especially the egg rolls.
But I'm not up for eating out right now. Our local news just did a behind the scenes look at how many of our local restaurants (many of the Chinese take-outs) have many health violations. Just ew.

it IS unfortunate that majority of the chinese population to this day has no concept of sanitation and hygiene. i'm very picky about the restaurants i go to.

on the other hand, if you really found out what we eat, maybe the sanitation aspect won't be as disgusting.

"Alas for us all! And for all that walk the world in these after-days. For such is the way of it: to find and lose, as it seems to those whose boat is on the running stream. But I count you blessed, Gimli son of Glóin: for your loss you suffer of your own free will, and you might have chosen otherwise. But you have not forsaken your companions, and the least reward that you shall have is that the memory of Lothlórien shall remain ever clear and unstained in your heart, and shall neither fade nor grow stale."

Patty
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 6:58pm

Post #20 of 22 (2866 views)
Shortcut
I know. The worst offenders definitly weren't the Chinese restaurants... [In reply to] Can't Post

they just had many more minor violations.

One of our local Olive Gardens just had hundreds of people get sick eating there a month or so ago.

Lord Peter Wimsey's Main Squeeze

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 7:35pm

Post #21 of 22 (2865 views)
Shortcut
We have had problems at Taco Bell, actually [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always the burritos. My brother has gotten sick twice from eating the burrito.

We don't eat at Taco Bell anymore, to say the least.

My LJ
My art site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 19 2007, 7:53pm

Post #22 of 22 (3027 views)
Shortcut
I'm a dog, too [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a water dog, which is sort of odd because I'm a fire sign in the western zodiac (sagittarius). No wonder I can't make decisions or finish projects Smile

My Livejournal

My Costuming Site

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.