Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It doesn't happen very often,

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Mar 15 2007, 9:23pm

Views: 230
Shortcut
It doesn't happen very often, Can't Post

but sometimes my math books have problems in them that really make me laugh. Here's one I found while preparing tomorrow's lecture:

(Referring to the limaçon r = 1 + sin q) From Figure 18 it appears that the limaçon loses its dimple when c = 1/2. Prove this.
(James Stewart Calculus 5th ed. section 11.3 problem 53b)

Here's one that's made me laugh for the past 20 years:

Consider the set whose only element is the moon. Is this set a vector space under the operations moon + moon = moon and k(moon) = moon for every real number k? Explain your reasoning.
(Howard Anton Elementary Linear Algebra 9th ed. section 5.1 problem 27)

A couple of word problems:

Billy Joe McCallister jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge, 70 ft above the water, with a bungee cord tied to his legs. If he was 6 ft above the water 2 sec after jumping, when what was the average rate of change of his altitude as the time varied form 0 to 2 sec?
(Mark Dugopolski College Algebra 3rd ed. section 2.1 problem 72)

And then there's this one, also from the Dugopolski book:

The wizard Gandalf is creating a massive crystal ball. To acheive maximum power, the orb must be a perfect solid sphere of clear crystal mounted on a square solid silver base, as shown in the figure. The wizard has determined that the diameter of the sphere must equal the length of the side of hte square base, and the thickness of the base must be p in. Find the exact radius of the sphere if the toatal amount of material used in the sphere and base must be 1296 p cubic inches. If it turns out that the sphere is not powerful enough, Gandalf plans to make the sphere and base of solid dilitheum crystal. For this project the diameter of the sphere must be 2 in. less than the length of the side of the base and the thickness of the base must be 2 in. Find the approximate radius of the sphere if the total volume of material used in the sphere and base must be 5000 cubic inches.

(Mark Dugopolski College Algebra 3rd ed. section 3.4 problem "linking concepts.")

Dugopolski put a lot of effort into being entertaining, but my students didn't always appreciate it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Subject User Time
It doesn't happen very often, Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 15 2007, 9:23pm
    If you have one moon and add it to itself Draupne Send a private message to Draupne Mar 15 2007, 10:01pm
        I think that must be the correct answer. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 15 2007, 10:05pm
            Re: Morwen Send a private message to Morwen Mar 15 2007, 11:00pm
                But if the moon is a zero vector Draupne Send a private message to Draupne Mar 15 2007, 11:27pm
    Here are a couple that I've always remembered Menelwyn Send a private message to Menelwyn Mar 15 2007, 10:04pm
        The dentist thing! ROFL! / GaladrielTX Send a private message to GaladrielTX Mar 15 2007, 11:06pm
        Of course she does Draupne Send a private message to Draupne Mar 15 2007, 11:32pm
        My brother recalls taking a math test once in which a problem began: Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 16 2007, 9:18am
    I almost didn't respond simply because the work "math" was here grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 16 2007, 9:30am
        Years ago I posted that last question (about Gandalf) Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 17 2007, 6:24pm
    *chuckle*! But what's scary is dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Mar 16 2007, 4:12pm
        One big one, of course! {nt} Advising Elf Send a private message to Advising Elf Mar 16 2007, 4:45pm
        *hee hee!* Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 16 2007, 5:03pm
    It all depends. silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Mar 17 2007, 4:14pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.