Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
And what about Sam's older brothers?

Pallando
Lorien

Mar 15 2007, 9:22pm

Post #1 of 7 (281 views)
Shortcut
And what about Sam's older brothers? Can't Post

Seems like no matter how many times you read this story something new is always popping up! So now Sam has at least two older brothers!

For I also am a steward. Did you not know?

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 15 2007, 9:39pm

Post #2 of 7 (171 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the eldest, Hamson, carried on the family business by apprenticing to ropemaking. Sam's occasionally exhibits some hints of wistfulness over a not-to-be career in ropemaking. The other elder brother Halfred seemed to have up and moved out to the sparsely settled Northfarthing, hinting at some sort of disgrace. Sam himself seems to have thus received what I believe is the traditional second son profession of gardener. In the Shire this profession seems to be closest to the clergy, which was where medieval families tended to send second sons.

“Such is the tragi-comedy of our situation - we continue to clamour for those very qualities we are rendering impossible. … In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-The Abolition of Man, C.S. Lewis

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2007, 9:39pm

Post #3 of 7 (157 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I remember reading that in the appendices at the end of the ROTK. I'll have to take a look again.

"Death is just another pathway. . .one which we all must take."

-Gandalf from "The Return of the King"

Pallando
Lorien

Mar 15 2007, 9:50pm

Post #4 of 7 (149 views)
Shortcut
Quite good - and quick - Darkstone... [In reply to] Can't Post

... did you find this in the Appendixes or somewhere in HOME. I've been looking for the specifics.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 15 2007, 9:56pm

Post #5 of 7 (146 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I found the specifics in Appendix C in the Gamgee genealogy.

“Such is the tragi-comedy of our situation - we continue to clamour for those very qualities we are rendering impossible. … In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-The Abolition of Man, C.S. Lewis

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Mar 15 2007, 9:56pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 15 2007, 10:16pm

Post #6 of 7 (144 views)
Shortcut
Now I'm curious. [In reply to] Can't Post

We can all take turns being him. What inspired your observation on Sam's genealogy?

(Sam's family tree got just a little discussion here, by the way.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Mar. 12-18: Tolkien's Art for Children.

Pallando
Lorien

Mar 16 2007, 6:26am

Post #7 of 7 (156 views)
Shortcut
It was a touch of grammar... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that I caught from the first or second page of Chapter 1: "...the job [gardening, ed.] was mainly carried on by his youngest son, Sam Gamgee." [my bold]

Youngest implies more than one other, younger if it were only one brother and I just figured he did mean youngest.

Thanks for askin'

P

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.