Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
A nod to the siege of Erebor in the War of Rohirrim?

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Jun 23, 9:12pm

Post #1 of 4 (536 views)
Shortcut
A nod to the siege of Erebor in the War of Rohirrim? Can't Post

Since we see Mumakil in the concept photos, could the movie also include the Easterlings joining forces with the Dunlendings and Haradrims attack on Helm's Deep? If they are there as well, it an be a small nod to the siege of Erebor which we never saw on screen.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 24, 1:09am

Post #2 of 4 (520 views)
Shortcut
Easterling Mumakil??? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Since we see Mumakil in the concept photos, could the movie also include the Easterlings joining forces with the Dunlendings and Haradrims attack on Helm's Deep? If they are there as well, it an be a small nod to the siege of Erebor which we never saw on screen.

I've never associated Mūmakil with the Easterlings, much less with the siege of Erebor. I've always understood Sam's Oliphaunts to be creatures utilized by the Haradrim, as we see in The Two Towers (both book and film). Also, I'm not sure that the Easterlings actually ever allied themselves with the Dunlendings in the legendarium; the Dunlendings did at least take advantage of Rohan being beleaguered on their eastern front. I'm just not sure that it went further than that.

I do believe that the "Tale of Years" that appears in The Peoples of Middle-earth states that the Easterlings had allied with Orcs against the Rohirrim.

2757...Rohan is overrun by Orcs and Easterlings. At the same time Gondor is attacked by the Corsairs of Umbar.

Of course this was not "The Tale of Years of the Third Age" in its final form. Take if for what it's worth.

“Hell hath no fury like that of the uninvolved.” - Tony Isabella

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 24, 1:19am)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Jun 25, 3:40pm

Post #3 of 4 (401 views)
Shortcut
I think that could be cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lśthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 25, 8:08pm

Post #4 of 4 (379 views)
Shortcut
I mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I think we will see Mūmakil in The War of the Rohirrim, but I think that they will be used by the Haradrim, not by Easterlings. IRL we do have both African and Indian elephants, but I don't know that this kind of speciation should or would apply to Mūmakil. Though maybe we could also consider the world-wide range of prehistoric elephant relatives such as mastodons and mammoths!

“Hell hath no fury like that of the uninvolved.” - Tony Isabella

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 25, 8:13pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.