"Unexpected Chat" with PJ and GDT full transcript: what we've discovered
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Empedocles
Rivendell

May 26 2008, 12:44pm

Post #26 of 29 (253 views)
Shortcut
I'm officially scared [In reply to] Can't Post

for the talking animals thing, although GdT will probably pull it off. But I don't agree with him on the necessity of all the other animals having to talk in order to set the stage for Smaug. I always thought that Bilbo was the one that wrote The Hobbit (in his There and back again book) and that he did so in a style that would allow him to read it to his nephews, and so that was the reason why the animals were talking, because it was just Bilbo's way to tell the tale to a younger audience. But we'll see.. GdT is just great, so I will wait to see the movie before getting angry about stuff that I still hven't seen.

Please, give us back Glorfindel!!!

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 27 2008, 3:21am

Post #27 of 29 (236 views)
Shortcut
Could live with the tra-la-la-lallys if it's done that way :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks MB Smile

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

AlatarVinyamar
Lorien

May 27 2008, 9:26am

Post #28 of 29 (226 views)
Shortcut
Tir-lalaith-lalaith [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that idea Mirabella! Nice one!

(of course, most Sindarin sounds like tra-la-la-lally to me anyway...) ;)

Mirabella_Bunce
Rivendell

May 27 2008, 12:17pm

Post #29 of 29 (263 views)
Shortcut
Talking wargs maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually any Fantasy-creature talking (wargs, dragons, etc.) could possibly work OK for me, if done right. At least, I could expect wargs to have a rudimentary gutteral language-type-communication-thing of their own. And the Eagles of Middle-earth are not ordinary birds; they are a people in their own right, so I can deal with that.

What I don't think I'll be able to cope with is if Beorn's ponies and dogs actually set the table and serve the food. Even for JRRT's sake I could never manage to suspend disbelief on that one. Because I can't imagine how it could possibly happen. I actively resist envisioning them walking around on their hind legs! And even if they did, ponies don't even have toes, let alone opposable thumbs. So the only thing left would be for them, whether on four feet or two, would be to carry the dishes and things in their mouths. Eww. Let's just say I hope they give that a miss!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.