What are you watching? March Edition!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 1, 10:46pm

Post #1 of 27 (858 views)
Shortcut
What are you watching? March Edition! Can't Post

It's Oscar season again! The ceremony is next weekend, which means we all have a few more days to catch some of the contenders in theaters.

And after a few delays, it's also time for Dune Part 2, which I know several folks here have been looking forward to (including myself!). Please do drop your reviews and reactions here, with appropriate spoiler/non-spoiler tags!

Of course, there's much else to be watched, both old and new (any Avatar: Last Airbender fans out there?), so let us know what you've been watching lately!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 3, 1:25am

Post #2 of 27 (796 views)
Shortcut
Dune: Part Two [In reply to] Can't Post

Goodness. Obeying my own request and staying spoiler free, but what a tense experience that was! I will say, it hit some crescendos that thrilled me in ways that very few movies since ROTK have done. Such incredible scale . So far all of the Dune fans I've encountered (who have seen Part Two) have said their wildest expectations were surpassed - they've said any changes in the adaptation process were very understandable, done exceptionally well and even surpassed the book in some moments.

I've waited to read the book until I could see Part Two, so I suppose I should get reading sooner than later! Although Denis Villeneuve has said he's already almost done with the script for the sequel Dune: Messiah, though he's also suggested he wants to make a non-Dune movie before jumping into that.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Mar 3, 1:25am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 4, 3:58am

Post #3 of 27 (759 views)
Shortcut
Agreed :) (no spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen it twice now... and I have to admit the first time I was "paused" expecting the feel of Dune I. But seeing it the second time... I'm very happy to feel that incredible appreciation I hoped for :D

I, too, have not read Messiah YET! But I'm kind of distressed as I read it might not come out until 2028 or later!!! I know these things change and you can't always count on even "those who would be in the know" to get it right... especially this far out. But I'm 72 years old... and 4+ winters is a lifetime in gramma years! *twitch* Not nice, precious. Bummed we are, my love *gollum, gollum*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Immortal

Mar 4, 5:38pm

Post #4 of 27 (739 views)
Shortcut
Dune Part 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

in preparation for seeing Part 2 later this week.

Hmm . . . watched "The Fall of the House of Usher" on Netflix. Not usually one for horror but this one was SO well done, excellent writing to update the story to our modern times, and superb acting, especially Bruce Greenwood and Mary McDonnell as Roderick and Madeline Usher, and Mark Hamill as their very scary enforcer/lawyer. Very gory and gross though. I seem to have become inured to that; the absolute amorality of most of the characters was more disturbing.

Happily back to my old and new favs: NCIS, Young Sheldon, Ghosts, Not Dead Yet, Resident Alien. Good writing is the common thread.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 4, 10:20pm

Post #5 of 27 (733 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully sooner! [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose the good thing is that a script is nearly written for Messiah. And given how fast they made Part Two (somehow!) perhaps it'll be a little sooner than that!

I know they've been working on a prequel TV show as well, so it seems we will still have some Dune to watch before the next one.

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 4, 10:21pm

Post #6 of 27 (732 views)
Shortcut
Did you like Part 1? [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't remember if you had mentioned watching before, or if this was your first time.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 4, 10:35pm

Post #7 of 27 (730 views)
Shortcut
I'd seen it in the theater [In reply to] Can't Post

just wanted a refresher.

So context: I read Dune when I was 15, the same year I first read LOTR. Both were my introduction to sci-fi and fantasy. As with LOTR, I was eager to see a film version - and as with LOTR, was disappointed in the first two attempts (Bakshi/Rankin Bass, Lynch/Syfy). But still went in hopeful and came out happy. I'd say Dune Part One is a better adaptation of the book than Jackson's films are of LOTR. And the raves I'm hearing about Part Two are reassuring. Alas, my usual movie companion can't go until next weekend . . . but I'm considering sneaking in a viewing maybe tomorrow!

-- Gaston Bachelard

(This post was edited by Annael on Mar 4, 10:36pm)

Annael
Immortal

Mar 4, 10:38pm

Post #8 of 27 (735 views)
Shortcut
Messiah [In reply to] Can't Post

really the story isn't complete, imho, without it. The Syfy series included it (with a very young James McAvoy as Leto II stealing the entire show).

After that I think Herbert lost it. I read a couple more of the books and gave up.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5, 1:55am

Post #9 of 27 (727 views)
Shortcut
Dune: Part Two [In reply to] Can't Post

We just got home from seeing it - my first time in a cinema for ages.

Still feeling rather overwhelmed. Short version: wow. Slightly less short: very, very impressed: acting, visuals, "feel". Changes to the original, including compressing the timeline, all understandable and well done.

I first read Dune in my teens. I've read the first four books, each twice (I think - maybe three times for the first two), but not for quite a few years. Mr Kimi's the big Dune fan in the house, though, and he really loved both movies.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 5, 1:57am

Post #10 of 27 (721 views)
Shortcut
I've heard this opinion as well from friends. // [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 5, 1:57am

Post #11 of 27 (722 views)
Shortcut
Hope you enjoy... [In reply to] Can't Post

...whenever you manage to see it!

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 5, 1:59am

Post #12 of 27 (722 views)
Shortcut
Totally understand re: "overwhlemed" [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree! I'm almost just as excited for viewing #2 for that reason.

Glad you both had a great time, though!

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5, 2:18pm

Post #13 of 27 (705 views)
Shortcut
Also Dune 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed it and was suitably wowed by all the stuff it wants you to be wowed at, but I did feel a little more levity would be nice in what is a pretty dark and gloomy three hours. It's a very serious sort of film. I'll see part 3 when it comes out though.

At home, am rewatching the BBC series 'Being Human', after suddenly having been seized by a need to rewatch (I caught the first season of the new 'Interview with the Vampire' series a few weeks ago, so maybe I'm now in a vampire mood). The premise is that a werewolf, a vampire and a ghost are sharing a house and trying to be human, with middling success; a pre-Hobbit and pre-Poldark Aidan Turner is one of the stars. BH is a great example of a show that doesn't take itself too seriously and there's lots of humour amid all the emotion.

Storm clouds

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 5, 6:38pm

Post #14 of 27 (696 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like Being Human is giving you some of the levity you wanted! [In reply to] Can't Post

We did like Javier Bardem as a pseudo-comic relief in Part 2 (or the closest to one).

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5, 7:20pm

Post #15 of 27 (694 views)
Shortcut
Yes and yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Bardem was great, and did provide a bit of light amid the gloom.

Storm clouds

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 5, 10:42pm

Post #16 of 27 (691 views)
Shortcut
and again... [In reply to] Can't Post

Josh Brolin had me chuckling outloud... and unexpectedly. Although the reactions to him by his counterparts definitely fed that, too :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 5, 10:42pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 6, 1:43am

Post #17 of 27 (686 views)
Shortcut
I've seen too many movies. I saw Josh Brolin and kept thinking, "Quick, it's Thanos! Cut off his head!" // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 6, 1:54am

Post #18 of 27 (685 views)
Shortcut
Being Human; Dune 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad other people are enjoying Dune 2. I enjoyed the visuals like crazy, and all the great acting, but for me it was just too long (not helped that I knew the story). So though it wasn't as enjoyable as I'd hoped, I was glad it got so many things right: the look and feel of the desert and Fremen, and the scale of things. Little things too, such as Princess Irulan being cast well as a strong, thoughtful person, which was my impression of her from what little we know in the first book from the tone of her diary entries. The Bene Gesserit were all done so well too: the proper amount of mystery and menace. I was just impatient. I don't know how I sat through 3 LOTR movies (but I did!).

OMG, Being Human!!! Have I used enough !!!! yet???? That show struck a note with me, coming along at the right time years ago, I guess: funny and dark and thoughtful. I liked all 3 main people but Annie was my favorite, especially how most of the time she was sweet and non-violent, but a few times she really lets it loose. Russell Tovey and Aidan Turner were both great also. The personality mix made for great character dynamics. And for an American, it was such a treat to see a British show NOT set in London.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 6, 3:52am

Post #19 of 27 (678 views)
Shortcut
"Scavengers Reign" [In reply to] Can't Post

Think back to your last "wow, what am I watching?" sci-fi experience, and for me that would be movies like Arrival or Annihilation. Scavengers Reign is a series on Max that has that same effect and breaks new ground in animating the ecology of an alien planet. There is a plot to the show which was fine and dandy, but for me the best part was watching crash survivors travel across various biomes and interact with the flora/fauna of the planet: some things were friendly, some indifferent, and some definitely hungry and hostile. There's a sense of awe throughout as one imaginative rabbit is pulled out of the hat after another. In particular, there's a blurry line between plants and animals: a "bird" can land on a tree and merge into its bark, then take off later, for example. And things never get repetitive: it's one cool idea after another.

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 6, 4:53am

Post #20 of 27 (675 views)
Shortcut
Haven't heard of that one til now! [In reply to] Can't Post

I see Alia Shawkat is in it, and I always know it'll be something eclectic (saying that as a compliment) if she's in it. Will add to my list! That does sound really interesting.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 6, 9:46am

Post #21 of 27 (673 views)
Shortcut
Did you ... [In reply to] Can't Post

keep going into series 4 and 5 of Being Human? Well worth looking them up if you haven't. The dynamic changes, but it's still extremely good and testament to the concept working.

Storm clouds

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 6, 10:38am

Post #22 of 27 (672 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Even with all the cast changes, it was still a great show.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 10, 4:13pm

Post #23 of 27 (620 views)
Shortcut
just saw Dune Part Two and I have a question [In reply to] Can't Post

in my theater the bass was cranked up so high I had to put my fingers in my ears half the time and couldn't always hear the dialogue! Was this just my theater? Talk about overwhelming.

-- Gaston Bachelard

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 10, 9:42pm

Post #24 of 27 (600 views)
Shortcut
Similar experience--really wanted English subtitles, and I'm serious. Missed a lot of dialogue. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 11, 3:00am

Post #25 of 27 (582 views)
Shortcut
It was fine in ours [In reply to] Can't Post

(and I'm quite sensitive, sometimes painfully so, when it comes to sounds). But that may be because we're lucky enough to have a boutique cinema with a very involved manager, and they're very careful about the whole "cinema experience" (also very good about ventilation - I took along my CO2 monitor, and the air quality was close to that of outdoors here in the countryside).

I recall with the previous "Dune" movie at least one person here commenting on something similar, while others were fine with it. On the other hand, just about everyone I've encountered who saw "Oppenheimer" commented on the painful sound levels - I didn't see it, so don't know how my favourite neighbourhood cinema coped or otherwise.

How annoying, though - overwhelming in completely the wrong way! And at close to three hours, something of a feat of endurance.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.