Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Official Hobbit Casting Speculation Thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Ermanatar
The Shire

Feb 8 2009, 5:14pm

Post #201 of 215 (2411 views)
Shortcut
The Ultimate Hobbit Casting List [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's my stab at making the Hobbit a success! Enjoy!!!

Bilbo - Martin Freeman

Thranduil - David Bowie

Beorn - Ron Perlman

Bard - Jim Caviezel

Thorin Oakenshield - Brendan Gleeson

Balin - Ray Winstone

Dwalin - Stellan Skarsgard

Gloin - Billy Connelly

Oin - Kevin R. McNally

Dori - Vinnie Jones

Nori - Oliver Platt

Ori - Stephen Fry

Fili - Brian Cox

Kili - Kelsey Grammar

Bifur - Simon Pegg

Bofur - Jack Black

Bombur - Jorge Garcia

and

The Voice of Smaug - Mark Hamill

I think these choices are quite perfect and would work well together. Mark Hamill has been doing voice over for years and could throw some real malice into Smaug. I like Simon Pegg, Jack Black and Jorge Garcia as a dwarvish comedy trio and I think that Jim Caviezel compliments Viggo Mortensen as one of the race of Dunedain. You don't want Bard looking tougher than Aragorn, right? I like Hugh Jackman as Bard but he would make Viggo look like a wuss as would other choices such as Gerard Butler. Continuity people!!! I like James McAvoy as Bilbo as well, but he's too skinny and good looking for a hobbit. This actor needs to fit the character. Bilbo is slightly sillier than Frodo. You need someone that can carry that type of role and I think that McAvoy is just to serious. Martin Freeman is the perfect choice. I can't see James McAvoy growing old and ending up looking like Ian Holm, can you? Seriously??? And why oh why has no one mentioned Kelsey Grammar? And Brendan Gleeson put simply IS a dwarf!!! The moment I heard the Hobbit movie was finally being made, I began casting the roles in my head. Brendan Gleeson was the first actor to come to mind when thinking of dwarves and the best choice for Thorin. He has the chops and commanding presence. Did anybody watch Beowulf?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 11 2009, 9:00pm

Post #202 of 215 (2354 views)
Shortcut
Pure speculation here [In reply to] Can't Post

But given the announcement that Daniel Craig will be in the new TinTin movie, I'm guessing the Powers that Be have decided on him for Bard.

Drat his grim face!

mulubinba
Rivendell

Feb 21 2009, 7:43am

Post #203 of 215 (2304 views)
Shortcut
Bard [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep getting lost on this board but I noticed a few posts by Destrier here earlier mentioning that Richard Armitage (UK actor) would make a great Bard. I agree - he would be an excellent choice! He has recently starred in Spooks and BBC Robin Hood series 3, in which he plays Guy of Gisborne, is soon to be aired in the UK. The first few pictures of Armitage as Guy are becoming available now. As Bard is described as "grim faced", I think this photo just about sums him up. Armitage is a very versatile, talented actor, handles a bow and is physically fit. The wider movie going audience may not be familiar with his work and that could be an advantage for this role. (SirDennisC, you mentioned Daniel Craig but do you feel he is too well known as Bond?).

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 21 2009, 2:26pm

Post #204 of 215 (2316 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, Craig may be too well known for the role, unless they make him more of a supporting character than going for the Aragorn-esque powerhouse presence most people are expecting.

Really, a lot is being made of Bard but in the larger narrative he is a small (albiet important/pivotal) part.

Even when you look at theme, his selflessness is a brief counter point to the greed that Smaug's horde inspires in virtually everyone. So it's not as if Bard has to be the star of the show. If his character is handled this way, a Craig, or that guy from Kingdom of Heaven or (my personal favourite) the figate captain (Tom K?) from King Kong would do nicely.

I really do like Richard Armatage but for one of the main Elf parts rather than the token human. He would make a wicked assassin Elf, perhaps even eclipsing Bloom.

mulubinba
Rivendell

Feb 22 2009, 9:12am

Post #205 of 215 (2323 views)
Shortcut
Richard Armitage an Elf? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for replying SirDennisC. Richard Armitage an assassin Elf? That's a really interesting idea - I'll have to read up about the Mirkwood elves a little more now you've mentioned this as a possible role for him. (I still think he'd be a great Bard, though.).

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 23 2009, 12:16pm

Post #206 of 215 (2337 views)
Shortcut
Well really [In reply to] Can't Post

it's not up to me...Wink (I think casting director is one job I would not like to have... too hard to decide.) This RA guy would probably do well no matter what he does. However, does it make sense to stick to type so far along in his career?

Uruk-Hai
The Shire

Mar 3 2009, 2:28pm

Post #207 of 215 (2190 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Hopefuls [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo = Martin Freeman

Thorin = James Cosmo

Bombur = Jim Carter

Gloin = Brendan Gleeson

Smaug (voice) = Michael Wincott

Beorn = Brian Blessed

Bard = Daniel Day-Lewis

Thranduil = Doug Jones

Goblin King = Ron Perlman

Michael X
Bree

Mar 3 2009, 5:47pm

Post #208 of 215 (2229 views)
Shortcut
Quite a good list of actors [In reply to] Can't Post

...having people such as B.Cox and S.Fry or B.Gleeson involved (I won't discuss their roles right now) but always have in mind how expensive they may be.

We also have to have this here in mind: there is a pretty big problem for having too manyLOTR actors involved, especially when they're not extremely important for Film 1 or 2 (a perfect example is Viggo): When LOTR was made, they were obviously not that famous, and now, as LOTR was a great success, they'll be a lot more expensive to cast.

Of course, this does not include old, good, expensive actors such as Ian McKellen, Christopher Lee, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving (who are also important for at least Film 2).

One ill turn deserves another! It is over!

Silmarien
The Shire

Mar 11 2009, 10:05am

Post #209 of 215 (2196 views)
Shortcut
Casting [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, now that i've seen the casting Owain have made with all the graphics (it's int the 1st page) i think they are perfect even if some are different from my first choice.
But u know, we have to see things in the right way for understand them better!
I don't know how to quote so i can show you them sorryEvil

Nai Hiruvalye Valimar!

(This post was edited by Silmarien on Mar 11 2009, 10:13am)

Destrier
The Shire

Mar 11 2009, 2:38pm

Post #210 of 215 (2269 views)
Shortcut
Huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure what you mean by sticking to type, SirDennis. At the moment RA is starring in two major BBC series - in one he plays a (21st century) heroic M15 spy; in the other he plays a (12th century) villainous, murdering henchman. He's played the romantic hero in a 19th century period drama, a painfully shy farmhand, a confident emergency services doctor, etc, etc. He's completely different in all of his roles- he looks different, even sounds different - so much so that sometimes you'd hardly believe it's the same person.

BTW, (just in case I haven't already expressed an opinion on the matter Wink) - he'd make a lovely Bard! Heart

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 12:41am

Post #211 of 215 (2420 views)
Shortcut
Many apologies [In reply to] Can't Post

haven't been following his career as closely as I should have been. When I see him I think bow, arrows, quivers (that would be from you as well ;)) tights, slender but muscular hero, and stamina. That describes (for me at least) Robin Hood or an Elf. But not Bard. But you would know better since you are more familiar with his other work.

Cheers and here's hoping.

BlueMan
Rivendell

Mar 28 2009, 8:13pm

Post #212 of 215 (2159 views)
Shortcut
There are a couple of guys - [In reply to] Can't Post

that I would love to see involved, but I'm not sure in which role to cast them (it's probably the completely wrong way to approach casting by wanting a couple of actors to be in the film no matter in which role, but anyway):

Jamie Bell
Russell Crowe
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Daniel Day-Lewis
John C. Reilly
Sean Penn
John Hurt
Javier Bardem
Tim Roth

I don't think they have been mentioned around here too much, so far?

if there's need for women (probably not so many in the Hobbit, I'm afraid, but who knows):

Jodie Foster
Natalie Portman
Rachel Weisz
Norah Jones

Raptos a diis homines dici ...

(This post was edited by BlueMan on Mar 28 2009, 8:14pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Mar 29 2009, 9:48am

Post #213 of 215 (2204 views)
Shortcut

I think Michael Fassbender would make an excellent Bard.

Sandyman
The Shire

Apr 13 2009, 3:26pm

Post #214 of 215 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Personally, I think that Jeremy Irons would be the perfect Bard. I don't know if he's been mentioned before, but he is one of my favourite actors ever. Eragon was a really bad movie, but Jeremy Irons as Brom was absolutely amazing, and his preformance in The Man in the Iron Mask was just as good. I haven't seen any of his other movies, but I really think he would do an awesome job with Bard.
I'm sure I'll be happy with whoever they choose in the end, but if it were up to me, I'd choose Jeremy Irons.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2009, 2:28am

Post #215 of 215 (2384 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

***Note that I don't even include David Bowie in the running for this. Casting him as any character in this story is the most rediculous thing I ever heard.

This is the most "rediculous" thing you have ever heard? Ridiculous might be a bit excessive, don't you think? BTW have you seen The Prestige? David Bowie played Tesla opposite Hugh Jackman and Andy Serkis for his scenes. Christopher and Jonathan Nolan found him to be up to the task for a serious, dramatic film. I don't see why he couldn't play this supporting role and be taken seriously.

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.