Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Official Hobbit Casting Speculation Thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 24 2008, 2:11am

Post #1 of 215 (8836 views)
Shortcut
Official Hobbit Casting Speculation Thread! Can't Post

Do you think you know who would be perfect to play Bilbo? Bard? What about the voice of Smaug?

What we DO know is that GDT has said he'd like to use as many of the LOTR cast members as possible within the constraints of the story and their schedules. We also know that Ian McKellen (the only definite), Andy Serkis and Viggo have been contacted. That leaves a lot that we don't know and many characters to speculate about!

In an attempt to keep conversations about casting in one convenient place, (and prevent multiple threads speculating about the same characters), we've provided this thread as a place for all casting speculation. There are even links (below) to polls where you can vote for your favrorite actor to play each major character. Post about them here, in the poll threads, or both! If there's a character that needs their own poll or actor who should be added to an existing poll, PM a Forum Admin or Superuser, or mention it in this thread, and we'll add them for you.

p.s. This thread will be updated as casting is firmed up (see Gandalf entry below) and as we can get to it.

p.p.s You might want to start by reading through the "Hobbit Casting Speculation with MrCere!" thread here.

Otherwise, let the speculation continue! Laugh

Links to Character Casting Polls (alphabetical order):

Balin

Bard

Beorn

Bilbo

Bombur

Gandalf - Ian McKellen

Master of Laketown

Smaug (voice)

Thranduil

Thorin

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 2 2008, 3:57am)

_V_
Lorien

May 24 2008, 8:59pm

Post #2 of 215 (4170 views)
Shortcut
I'm pushing for David Bowie as Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

Bowie for Thranduil, and Wayne Pygram (Farscape's "Scorpius") for Smaug

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 27 2008, 12:54am

Post #3 of 215 (3913 views)
Shortcut
Oh, this is an awesome idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it that we can get into some fantastic conversations and keep them all in one place where we can build on everyone's ideas :D

Very Very Cool!

Thanks Altaira!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 27 2008, 4:25am

Post #4 of 215 (3903 views)
Shortcut
Can't help wondering how our choices will (may) change over the time [In reply to] Can't Post

will be interesting to have a looksee in here and see LOL

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2008, 6:22pm

Post #5 of 215 (3933 views)
Shortcut
More Casting Speculation [In reply to] Can't Post

The following are some fun casting ideas... some already confirmed... some under speculation... others just ideas... have a look!

Marionette
Rohan

Jun 6 2008, 7:22pm

Post #6 of 215 (3878 views)
Shortcut
Confirmed already?? My cast list [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like the casting for Bard: Guy Pearce, but my favorite is Gerard Butler. And for the dwarves, really all of them works.
Except thereīs no Brian Blessed there, I see he was not casted XDDDD

My choises::
Thorin: Brian Blessed
Balin: Kenneth Branagh (People really think itīs impossible to think him to play a dwarf XD!!! But not me, he can!)
Bombur: Oliver Platt
Bard: can be Hugh Jackman too!!
Beorn: Brendan Gleeson
Thranduil: Jason Isaacs

But I like too::
Bilbo: James McAvoy
Dwalin: Brendan Gleeson
Thranduil: David Bowie
Kevin Mcnally, Nathan Lane, Brian Cox, Angus McFadyen for the rest of dwarves

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2008, 7:27pm

Post #7 of 215 (3735 views)
Shortcut
The stuff I put up isn't official... just having some fun [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

"Question everything and hold on to the good."

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 7 2008, 1:06am

Post #8 of 215 (3720 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Jorge Garcia for Bombur! Perfect!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2008, 2:30am

Post #9 of 215 (3775 views)
Shortcut
He would, wouldn't he! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that I will probably catch a lot of flack for some of these choices... particularly Mark Hamill.

He is known forever as Luke Skywalker, but he has made a career of doing Voice Overs for cartoons and video games. I think he would make an awesome dwarf and give him a chance to be back in the spotlight again.

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Asfaloth
The Shire

Jun 10 2008, 4:11pm

Post #10 of 215 (3728 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo should hire you as his casting Director! [In reply to] Can't Post

Positively BRILLIANT choices!

Personally I am 120% behind the James McAvoy casting. I've been a fan of his ever since he added so much depth to "The Chronicles of Narnia." He's got the acting chops to pull this off. (Plus, he's pretty easy on the eyes...Wink)

Ron Perlman - Heck Yeah!!! Beorn had better be in this movie!

http://www.stormcrowpictures.com

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Jun 10 2008, 6:39pm

Post #11 of 215 (3739 views)
Shortcut
I'm LOST!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know who many of these actors are and I don't know enough actors to make any good decisions!!! GAHH!!!! *goes crazy...for the eleventy-first time*

The only thing I DO know is that for the dwarves, you have to find actors who are REALLY willing to go through the prosthetics, armor, and hair for a year! I'm not sure that all of the good choices will be willing to do that.

"I like cooking, but I like other people cooking more." -David Wenham

"I think being different, going against the grain of society, is the greatest thing in the world." -Elijah Wood.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jun 10 2008, 7:38pm

Post #12 of 215 (3685 views)
Shortcut
Strictly speaking [In reply to] Can't Post

the dwarves need the armor only after they regained the dragon's hoard, where they found the old armors. Before that there's no mention of them wearing armor, IIRC. But admittedly, the prosthetics remain.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Jun 11 2008, 1:35am

Post #13 of 215 (3665 views)
Shortcut
I think Jack Black could make a good Bombur. [In reply to] Can't Post

Eglario Valar!
It's me!
It's me!

debo
Rohan

Jun 13 2008, 4:06am

Post #14 of 215 (3692 views)
Shortcut
NOT David Bowie for Thandruil!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo; "What I chiefly need now is courage . . ."

ryan1976
The Shire

Jun 17 2008, 11:21pm

Post #15 of 215 (3663 views)
Shortcut
excellent. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the idea Bryan Cox and Breedan Gleeson being cast as Dwarves. That would be great I think.

Also, I believe Ron Pearlman would be great as Beorn or even as Thorin.

The voice of Smaug...I also think Bryan Cox would make that work very well. But I do like the idea of Stellan Skarsgard.

I wonder if Doug Jones will be asked to play someone/something.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jun 18 2008, 3:01pm

Post #16 of 215 (3621 views)
Shortcut
Cox and Gleeson were certainly believable as brothers [In reply to] Can't Post

in Troy, so I'm sure they would work well as dwarves. Actually, I'd really like to see that.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Jun 21 2008, 11:34am

Post #17 of 215 (3624 views)
Shortcut
Oh... [In reply to] Can't Post

But what I do know is that I think Hugh Jackman should be in there somewhere...not as a dwarf, obviously, but he can do the scruffy-tough-man thing pretty well. Plus, he's Austrailian so he already has an accent (David Wenham is Austrailian and he did just fine). I'm not saying that we should have Wolverine running around Middle-Earth, but I do think he could play someone. Not yet sure who.

Saruman, Gandalf the Grey rides to Isenguard...NO LONGER SEEKING YOUR COUNCIL!!!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 22 2008, 6:17am

Post #18 of 215 (3665 views)
Shortcut
Realistically (Bard) [In reply to] Can't Post

I could see Thomas Kretschmann playing the Bard. He played Captain Englehorn (the steamer captain) in King Kong and appears to have some connection to HB II (credited in a photo but not in the cast list). He is even in Wanted with JM (may not mean anything except he will be seen by those watching JM). Not only does he look the part but he has the brooding yet brave thing down pat.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jun 27 2008, 1:00am)

Ambient

Jun 28 2008, 3:06pm

Post #19 of 215 (3574 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to see Eddie Izzard play the part of Bilbo. Talented guy, he does some mean impersonations; doing Ian Holm wouldn't be a stretch. :)

rseppala
The Shire

Jun 29 2008, 9:11pm

Post #20 of 215 (3531 views)
Shortcut
Cast [In reply to] Can't Post

Nichol Williamson for the voice of Smaug.

Patrick Stewart for Thorin Oakenshield.

Derek Jacobi as any of the other Dwarves.

mwirkk
Rohan

Jun 30 2008, 12:06am

Post #21 of 215 (3515 views)
Shortcut
Sorry debo... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I think we negate each other on this one. So now that leaves it up to the Valar to decide. ;P

The Black Knight Always Triumphs!!

-mwirkk :)

Miret
Rivendell

Jun 30 2008, 2:28am

Post #22 of 215 (3537 views)
Shortcut
Catsing Ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like the one up there with the pictures with one minor difference. Tom- Rowan Atkinson

sphdle1
Gondor

Jun 30 2008, 4:37pm

Post #23 of 215 (3569 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the best choice for Bilbo is Martin Freeman. He's a great actor with really good comedic timing, yet has the serious stuff down as well. To top it off, he looks like Bilbo, unlike McAvoy, who may be a great actor for the part as well, he just doesn't bring continuity from LOTR like Freeman could.

Woodyend
Gondor

Jun 30 2008, 9:10pm

Post #24 of 215 (3558 views)
Shortcut
I think David Tennant (Dr. Who) would make a good Bilbo. [In reply to] Can't Post

He is leaving the series if the rumors are true. I wonder why? However it behooves me to say, that when I suggested this a while back, someone informed me of his height which is six feet something.
For picture...
http://www.independent.co.uk/...1/tennant_21692t.jpg

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

rseppala
The Shire

Jul 1 2008, 4:35am

Post #25 of 215 (3495 views)
Shortcut
Tennant [In reply to] Can't Post

I dunno...I really like him as Dr. Who, but I'm not sure about being Bilbo. IMDB lists him at 6' 1", he seems taller than that, or they just cast shorter people opposite him, which really isn't unusual.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.