Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What are you watching? The Early Summer Edition!

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 3 2023, 12:36am

Post #1 of 9 (986 views)
Shortcut
What are you watching? The Early Summer Edition! Can't Post

Hello, one and all! It's warming up in much of the U.S., which means the summer movie season is upon us. In fact, it's already been here a few weeks, if you're a Fast and the Furious fanatic or a Guardians of the Galaxy guy or gal. And with the new Spider-Man: Across the Spider Verse movie coming out this weekend, there's quite a bit out there now for the summer movie crowd.

On a personal level, I do expect to go see the new Spider-Man movie in the next couple of weeks, as I found the first one quite beautiful in its rich animation style.

I've also been going through some older movies, as I tend to do from now and then (read: all the time)...

- Metropolis (1927): Believe it or not, I had somehow never seen this until a few days ago. And the grandaddy of them all, too! At least in terms of science fiction films. What an exhilarating crowning achievement of a movie. From the performances, to the score, to the incredible production design and everything in between. I watched it a couple of days later again, that time with my girlfriend, who also enjoyed it a lot.

- Master Gardener (2023): The new film by Paul Schrader is...a complete dud for me, sadly. I did enjoy First Reformed and still need to see his previous film, The Card Counter (which I've heard good things about), but Master Gardener felt very rushed as a script (it was as if you're watching the first draft that an executive would have about 500 notes on). The acting didn't have much of a chance either. Quite a surreal experience in terms of how bad it was, at least for me.

So what about you? What have you been watching lately? Please do share, whether you stop by this thread every month or it's your first time - we'd love to hear from you!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jun 5 2023, 1:50am)

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 3 2023, 12:39am

Post #2 of 9 (961 views)
Shortcut
A few movies I'm gearing up to see in coming weeks [In reply to] Can't Post

In addition to the new Spider-Man film, here are a few movies I'm likely going to see soon:

- Oppenheimer (Christopher Nolan's newest)
- Barbie (yes, it looks quite interesting!)
- Asteroid City (the new Wes Anderson picture)
- Killers of the Flower Moon (very well received out of the Cannes Film Festival)
- Zone of Interest (the new film by Jonathan Glazer, whose last film Under the Skin came out around 10 years ago - Zone of Interest, which also debuted recently at Cannes to great praise, is apparently a very disturbing yet powerful film set during the Holocaust)

Anyone have their own to add to the list?

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Jun 3 2023, 12:39am)

Annael
Immortal

Jun 3 2023, 3:41pm

Post #3 of 9 (916 views)
Shortcut
Ted Lasso [In reply to] Can't Post

I rewatched the entire thing in preparation for last week's finale. Which did not disappoint. Genius writing & acting. (And I learned a lot about football as she is played in every other country but my own - although we play it too, just under an alias Wink)

Haven't seen "Guardians 3" yet but plan to, and I will also be seeing the new animated "Spider-man" as the first one was amazing.

I was with my great-nephews for a couple of weeks and perforce had to watch the Stanley Cup matches. Once the Seattle Kraken were out (not bad for their very first season!) the boys more or less settled on Las Vegas, so they've been happy. We also watched the Jeopardy Masters tournament, which was fun to watch because obviously all of them had become good friends and felt free to tease each other and Ken Jennings relentlessly. I was cheering for Mattea and it came down to the very last answer - which I shouted at the screen, but alas she did not hear me. Still, not bad for a 23-year-old.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 7 2023, 1:30pm

Post #4 of 9 (815 views)
Shortcut
Comedies, mostly [In reply to] Can't Post

Ted Lasso: I will forever love the 1st season and have done multiple re-watches of it, but I've felt pretty mixed about the meandering narrative of the last 2 seasons. Glad for the closure at least.

Abbott Elementary: just when it seems most things I watch feel stale (Hawaii 5-0 as just one example), this show, which feels highly reminiscent of Parks and Recreation with its youthful optimism vs reality, gives me chuckles along with characters that feel real and interesting. My take on it: not worth the hype, but worth all the awards.

The Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek, from History Channel: a surprisingly honest, 11-episode look at the making of the various Star Trek shows and movies. Normally documentaries like this tend to fawn over everything, but they make it clear, for example, that the first Star Trek movie was dull to some people (I like it but don't love it), whereas the one Kirk directed (with Spock's half-brother on a search for God) was positively awful. But they talk about more good than bad, and best of all, I felt like I learned a lot of things about how movies and TV shows are made and the decisions that go into them.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 8 2023, 4:24am

Post #5 of 9 (800 views)
Shortcut
Old seasons of CSI. [In reply to] Can't Post

When the show originally aired I stopped watching after Gil Grissom left, but now all seasons are on a free streaming service so I've been making my way through them. I never realised that Ted Danson had a run on the show! I'm up to his first season and he's excellent in it.

I did see Guardians of the Galaxy 3 a few weeks ago and unfortunately I'm one of the seemingly few who wasn't engaged. I'm glad that others loved it but for me, it was a big miss.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Annael
Immortal

Jun 8 2023, 4:50am

Post #6 of 9 (798 views)
Shortcut
Have now seen "Guardians Vol. 3" [In reply to] Can't Post

A worthy finale - if it is - to the trilogy. I'm rather pleased that they didn't wrap up one subplot as you might have expected. Struggled a bit with the actor I have only seen as Eustace in "Voyage of the Dawntreader" as a superhero - funny how our first impressions tend to stick.

Also finally got around to "Avatar: The Way of Water." I have to say it was a bit meh for me. Beautiful CGI. I wonder if I would have liked it better in 3D and on IMAX, but the plot was too much of a retread for me.

-- Gaston Bachelard

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 8 2023, 1:46pm

Post #7 of 9 (788 views)
Shortcut
Characters sticking: Hugo Weaving [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved The Matrix and watched it several times. I love the LOTR movies and have watched them more than Matrix, but every time I see "Elrond," I see The Agent from Matrix pretending to be Elrond. Oh well.

Annael
Immortal

Jun 8 2023, 5:59pm

Post #8 of 9 (782 views)
Shortcut
I avoided that [In reply to] Can't Post

having seen "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" before "The Matrix."

I struggled with Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock because the first thing I'd seen him as was the rapist in "Atonement," but I did get over it eventually, because he is such a chameleon in each role he plays.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 11 2023, 1:12am

Post #9 of 9 (743 views)
Shortcut
"The numbers all go to eleven" [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, a bit of nostalgia with a rewatch of "This is Spinal Tap". Thoroughly enjoyed it.

In a more serious vein: two police procedurals, a local one and one of the many Aussie shows we seem to be watching lately.

The local one is a joint Irish/Kiwi production called "The Gone". A young couple go missing in a small town, and an Irish detective (a friend of the young woman's parents) comes out to Aotearoa to help. I particularly enjoyed the Maori content in this, both language and world view, and (as has been noted since at least the 1860s) the Irish have much in common with Maori regarding history and culture. There's a lovely scene where the parents of a missing young woman are guests at a tangihana (funeral), and the father stands up and sings a song in Gaelic, and it just feels so genuine. I was very much caught up in this show, and thoroughly enjoyed it, with the caveat that the ending left me thoroughly off-balance and wondering if a second season is planned.

The Aussie one is called "Black Snow", and is about the revived cold case of a girl who was killed 25 years earlier. It involves a South Sea Islander community in Queensland, with a history of which I was aware from having spent time in Vanuatu and meeting descendants of those who returned, but it was very interesting to learn more about the descendants of those who never did go home. There's a classic "damaged detective from the big city" character; convincingly damaged, with a very moving backstory. Very well done (I didn't guess the killer's identity till the final episode), with good performances, including from several actors whose first role this seems to have been.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.