Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Who, who, who would you like next in the Reading room?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Who, who, who would you like next in the Reading room?
Sam
Bilbo
Elrond
Glorfindel
Merry
Treebeard
Pippin
Theoden
Aragorn
Galadriel
Gaffer Gamgee
the Witch King
Tom Bombadil
Gandalf
Saruman
Eomund
Wormtongue
Gollum
Faramir
Legolas
Gimli
Frodo
Someone else?
View Results (30 votes)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 18 2023, 10:46pm

Post #1 of 29 (17206 views)
Shortcut
Who, who, who would you like next in the Reading room? Can't Post

We've been doing LOTR (book) character explorations and are on Denethor currently.

Is there someone you've been hankering to delve into? Insights you're dying to share? A favorite you've been longing to highlight?

Let us know! It doesn't mean you'll be tapped to lead a discussion. It's just an idea to see where the most interest lies.

Please name anyone else you would like to see discussed in replies to this post.

(This post was edited by dernwyn on May 11 2023, 9:35pm)

squire
Half-elven

Apr 19 2023, 1:33am

Post #2 of 29 (17099 views)
Shortcut
Um, Eomund? [In reply to] Can't Post

At first I thought that was a little too obscure a character for even the Reading Room, but then I looked at the list and thought, just maybe, that a mistake had been made.

Thanks for doing this!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 19 2023, 2:12am

Post #3 of 29 (17095 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes, I did mean Eomer. Too much in a hurry between [In reply to] Can't Post

2 new students. Perhaps I should have included Theodred!
I'll put Eomer in a reply to my initial post.
Thanks for the catch!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 19 2023, 2:14am

Post #4 of 29 (17092 views)
Shortcut
Adding Eomer. Vote in replies to this post. // [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 3 2023, 4:59pm

Post #5 of 29 (16710 views)
Shortcut
I voted 'Saruman' [In reply to] Can't Post

We could dust off this suggested programme.

In recent discussions we've used the last week to view the character as they appear from texts outside the LOTR story itself (e.g. Appendices, and in this case the UT Istiri chapter, and other places Tolkien might have written something relevant about Saruman). That could simply be added as a fifth week.

elentari3018
Rohan

May 11 2023, 12:52am

Post #6 of 29 (16521 views)
Shortcut
Did we do Frodo? [In reply to] Can't Post

if so, can someone link me the discussion? Thank you!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 11 2023, 2:06am

Post #7 of 29 (16516 views)
Shortcut
Not Frodo yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

We've just started on these character discussions. It was always the books in general, or the Hobbit, etc. before this. Smile

elentari3018
Rohan

May 11 2023, 2:23am

Post #8 of 29 (16520 views)
Shortcut
ok thanks! Frodo should be added in the poll then. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 11 2023, 4:05pm

Post #9 of 29 (16503 views)
Shortcut
Yes, you're right! I actually intended to include him. [In reply to] Can't Post

Off the ask the admins! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 11 2023, 9:36pm

Post #10 of 29 (16498 views)
Shortcut
There he is! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure if you can vote for him, if you've already voted, though.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 11 2023, 11:47pm

Post #11 of 29 (16494 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much!! [In reply to] Can't Post

elentari3018
Rohan

May 15 2023, 2:04am

Post #12 of 29 (16411 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

but alas, i have voted already.
Do you know when we will know the result of the poll and when the next character discussion will take place? Thank yoU!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 15 2023, 4:41pm

Post #13 of 29 (16391 views)
Shortcut
You can vote just by sticking it in the subject line, and [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that's a definite vote for you.
I'm hoping anyone that wants to add their vote for Frodo, or anyone that wants to add a name will juts stick it in a subject line on here. Smile

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 15 2023, 4:45pm

Post #14 of 29 (16394 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and I'm not sure when the next one is--not sure who [In reply to] Can't Post

might want to take the leap to organize it either. I think a week or 2 break would be good to clear the air a bit, and also see if anyone else would like to take a turn to organize the next one. I'll be happy to keep up with the voting, and coax some more responses, if necessary. Smile

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 18 2023, 10:37am

Post #15 of 29 (16285 views)
Shortcut
Notes from an ex-organiser [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly, it is important to say that the character discussions so far have been a triumph.Heart Everyone who has been actively involved deserves the congratulations and appreciation of the forum. Heart

Anyone who thinks about what has been achieved will realise that the long, through, knowledgable, non-dogmatic and insightful starter posts which have been so enjoyable here -- and so different from much online Tolkien fandom these days -- are not something that can done in an hour, or even an afternoon. It's a wonderful achievement by very talented and generous people.

And of course everyone is a volunteer.

So it is entirely natural that we tire the small group who are willing and able to organise things at any one time, or to act as chapter leaders.

These projects should keep on being fun for organisers and chapter leaders -- as well as people who reply to any discussion, or just lurk and read what is provided -- because the fun is the healthy motivation for doing it.

So I think it is a good idea to take a break whenever needed.

And for new people willing to help organise or otherwise contribue to come forwards, if they were hesitating to do so or didn't realise that would be useful.

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 18 2023, 6:08pm

Post #16 of 29 (16280 views)
Shortcut
Fanarchy in the UK [In reply to] Can't Post

while we sort his out democratically, I hope you don't mind a proposal to 'do' Saruman
My thought is that it would be a decent stop-gap, and the advantage of this forum being a fanarchy is that anyone can just get something started.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 18 2023, 10:35pm

Post #17 of 29 (16268 views)
Shortcut
Not a bad idea! If we get enough post-ers, I say go for it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm dying to do Treebeard, though, sometime--although I'm sure it wouldn't be a very long set of discussions. He just is one of my favorites. Evil

oliphaunt
Lorien

May 19 2023, 12:06am

Post #18 of 29 (16266 views)
Shortcut
Two for Treebeard [In reply to] Can't Post

That makes two of us. I'm all for reading Treebeard after Saruman and am going to work up a tentative schedule. I'm thinking two or three sections should do it.

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 19 2023, 3:51pm

Post #19 of 29 (16242 views)
Shortcut
Or Frodo and Sam together as nearly a BOGOF? [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo and Sam are almost always interacting, and if we 'did' Frodo without Sam, I think it would feel artificial and be difficult to do Sam afterwards without lots of repetition.

But if we do them together we can naturally and efficiently cover what is arguably LOTR's most important relationship.

No less a writer and critic than Urslua LeGuin has suggested that Frodo and Sam are like two aspects of one character -- it would be interesting to see if we agree. She's bound to have had an interesting insight there, even for any of us who don't end up agreeing!

I don't think doing the two together would add all that much to the work of doing just Frodo (or, of just doing Sam).

But on the other hand it would be a long study anyway. How long exactly it isn't possible to say without working out a breakdown of the story into weeks of discussion. But I'm going to guess it is 12-15 weeks. I expect it would need people who don't normally lead discussions to give that task a go.

elentari3018
Rohan

May 20 2023, 11:13am

Post #20 of 29 (16210 views)
Shortcut
That sounds good to study them together. [In reply to] Can't Post

That'll be a great discussion! I would take them on definitely and try to lead. Would that be after Saruman and Faramir?

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 25 2023, 1:44am

Post #21 of 29 (16081 views)
Shortcut
Really like this idea // [In reply to] Can't Post

elentari3018
Rohan

Jun 26 2023, 2:10am

Post #22 of 29 (15470 views)
Shortcut
Whos' next in Reading Room? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it Treebeard or Faramir? :)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 26 2023, 2:44pm

Post #23 of 29 (15458 views)
Shortcut
I believe it's Treebeard next, because of [In reply to] Can't Post

his link to Saruman.

elentari3018
Rohan

Feb 16, 3:37am

Post #24 of 29 (1044 views)
Shortcut
Who is next character after Faramir? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 16, 4:25pm

Post #25 of 29 (1010 views)
Shortcut
Looks like Tom has the most votes, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll make a post soon in the RR to ask again. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.