Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Kenji Kamiyama's The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim Film Debuts at Annecy in June 2023

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 29 2023, 2:31pm

Post #1 of 16 (6881 views)
Shortcut
Kenji Kamiyama's The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim Film Debuts at Annecy in June 2023 Can't Post

From Anime News Network:

Producer Jason DeMarco confirmed on Twitter on Thursday that The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim, the new feature film by Kenji Kamiyama (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Blade Runner: Black Lotus, Eden of the East), will make its debut at France's Annecy Festival in June 2023.

The film will open in cinemas on April 12, 2024.

“Hell hath no fury like that of the uninvolved.” - Tony Isabella

jlj93byu
Rivendell

May 2 2023, 3:12pm

Post #2 of 16 (6723 views)
Shortcut
Huge Delay [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a huge delay between it's debut and release in cinemas. I wonder why such a delay of almost a full year.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 2 2023, 8:16pm

Post #3 of 16 (6716 views)
Shortcut
Um...what delay? [In reply to] Can't Post

April 12, 2024 has always been the announced day of release. Admittedly, I didn't expect the film to be finished for a while yet. Maybe this is a rough cut? Do animated films even have rough cuts?

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 2 2023, 8:19pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 3 2023, 2:16pm

Post #4 of 16 (6646 views)
Shortcut
Preview [In reply to] Can't Post

My understanding is that The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim is NOT completed. What will be shown at the festival is a preview: one or more clips and perhaps some other material.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 11 2023, 2:29pm

Post #5 of 16 (5697 views)
Shortcut
"The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim" – Behind-the-Scenes Presentation [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are the details from the Annecy Festival site:

13 June 2023 from 10h00 to 11h15 [4 am to 5:15 am EDT; 1 am to 2:15 PDT]

Duration 01h15

A behind-the-scenes look at the highly anticipated original anime feature The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim from New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Animation.

Join Oscar-winner Philippa Boyens, award-winning filmmaker Kenji Kamiyama, producer Joseph Chou for a behind-the-scenes presentation highlighting their efforts as they translate the excitement and cinematic wonder of Middle-earth through the visually sweeping lens and artistry of anime.

ABOUT THE EVENT

Speaker(s)

Philippa BOYENS
Productrice exécutive [Executive producer]

Joseph CHOU
Producteur [Producer]

Kenji KAMIYAMA
Réalisateur [Director]

Moderator(s)
Jason DEMARCO

Event venue

Bonlieu Grande salle [Bonlieu Great Hall]
1 rue Jean Jaurès
74000 ANNECY

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 11 2023, 2:37pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 11 2023, 2:56pm

Post #6 of 16 (5684 views)
Shortcut
Might Boyens Bow Out? [In reply to] Can't Post

It occurs to me that, due to the ongoing writers' strike, Philippa Boyens might not be able to participate in the presentation.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 12 2023, 3:37pm

Post #7 of 16 (5619 views)
Shortcut
Running Time [In reply to] Can't Post

Denothemes reports that the runtime for The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim will be 130 minutes, according to the film's listing for the Annecy Film Festival.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 12 2023, 3:38pm)

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Jun 13 2023, 12:52pm

Post #8 of 16 (5557 views)
Shortcut
first reactions post here [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.theonering.net/...war-of-the-rohirrim/

it seems to be progressing well, although it also seems they have a long way to go yet.

TheOneRing.net Senior Staff
IRC Admin and Hall of Fire moderator

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jun 13 2023, 4:14pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 13 2023, 7:35pm

Post #9 of 16 (5532 views)
Shortcut
From the First Reactions [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
https://www.theonering.net/...war-of-the-rohirrim/

it seems to be progressing well, although it also seems they have a long way to go yet.

This animated prequel set 260 years before the cult trilogy is inspired by the Appendices provided by JRR Tolkien at the end of The Return of the King (Appendix A, Chapter II: The House of Eorl).

This is a curious one since earlier publicity material has stated events occur 183 years before the events chronicled in the original trilogy of films. Even factoring in the canonical delay between Bilbo’s party and Frodo setting out for Rivendell, something still seems wrong. It’s also … well… trivial, so I’ll return to this weirdness when I have time.

260 years before the end of the War of the Ring (Third Age 3019) is book-accurate for the death of Helm Hammerhand.

Three non-finalized excerpts were broadcast in exclusive preview during this panel. The opening sequence, introducing the character of Hera, a dialogue scene in King Helm’s throne room, and finally a short teaser announcing the film’s main action scenes.

No Eowyn seemingly? Kinda surprsing [sic], but I’ll take a cookie for guessing Edoras would feature. Hera and Helm suggests to me that the familial relationships will be critical. Hera may end up our viewpoint character. Why? She survives wheras [sic] all her close kin — Helm, Haleth and Hama — perish.

Eowyn must enter as narrator at some other point in the film.

IMPORTANT (because i know a lot of people will wonder): Producer Jason DeMarco clarified about the status of the footage shown to attendees — “We presented work in progress for attendees of the festival but it won’t be widely released.”

Surely there is something that can be released online: New production art; animatics; something?

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 13 2023, 7:37pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 13 2023, 7:46pm

Post #10 of 16 (5532 views)
Shortcut
In-Depth First Look [In reply to] Can't Post

Demothenes has posted the first in-depth look at The War of the Rohirrim.

squire
Half-elven

Jun 13 2023, 8:43pm

Post #11 of 16 (5534 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link [In reply to] Can't Post

Very interesting to see the effort of tieing together the fragments of Tolkien's appendix with its one short story about Helm and Freca, the extensive world-design of the New Line films, and the aesthetic of Japanese anime.

I still can't tell how attracted I am to it, partly because I feel there just isn't enough Tolkien there to support a film adaptation, and partly because of the fanbait Mumakil assaulting Edoras.

I did notice that he refers his readers to TORn's Discord server for a discussion of his article. Nothing about these here ancient Message Boards... I didn't even know TORn had a Discord server. Is that where everybody is these days?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 13 2023, 10:47pm

Post #12 of 16 (5521 views)
Shortcut
Have we been forgotten, [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I did notice that he refers his readers to TORn's Discord server for a discussion of his article. Nothing about these here ancient Message Boards...

...even by TORN staff?

Anyway, the film description is interesting, especially the character notes. I'm about to read up on the Lady of Mercians as she's new to me.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Jun 13 2023, 11:27pm

Post #13 of 16 (5514 views)
Shortcut
soz it was late [In reply to] Can't Post

like, 2am local and i was having super brain fade. I've added one in now.

i don't link up our IRC anymore even tho it's literally where I live ... we don't want visitors. :)

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Jun 13 2023, 11:28pm

Post #14 of 16 (5507 views)
Shortcut
dateses [In reply to] Can't Post

> 260 years before the end of the War of the Ring (Third Age 3019) is book-accurate

oh that's fine then.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 14 2023, 12:44am

Post #15 of 16 (5484 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Dem. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 23 2023, 2:56pm

Post #16 of 16 (5096 views)
Shortcut
Annecy Animation Film Festival interviews The War of the Rohirrim crew [In reply to] Can't Post

Denosthemes posted on the "After presenting their work-in-progress on The War of the Rohirrim at Annecy last week, Kenji Kamiyama, Philippa Boyens and Joseph Chou also stopped off to give a 15-minute sit-down interview with one of the festival’s staffers.

They talk about their approach, the challenge and the reception from the Annecy audience. Thanks to Lasswen on our Discord for the find.

Join the discussion: If you’d like to weigh in with your thoughts on The War of the Rohirrim, feel free to join our Discord server[
/url] or the currently active thread on our forum message boards."

I was not sure how the current WGA writer's strike would affect the presentation. I suspected that at least Philippa Boyens would be obligated to bow out of the event. I can only guess that the animated film falls outside of the WGA guidelines as they pertain to the strike.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.