Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
As promised, the New Movie Board Discussion Topic Poll...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mortae

Mar 19 2007, 8:06pm

Post #26 of 29 (319 views)
Shortcut
Who doesn't love icons [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a few moments here to jump in. Sorry weaver, I didn't know I was to write you, but it really is better to post here on this subject rather than behind the scene. Just a quick thought on what happened with "Annote" was simply that the further in to the films the more redundant they became and the more work required to keep them fresh. That was not something anyone could see in advance and could only be experienced when the issue appeared. Since SCOD is very simple it is not as daunting a task on the surface and would generate more volunteers.

SCOD in its tried and true form just allows the board to be consistent with a task that is simple and easy to do, or without greater effort. It allows new members to join in and take part in easier discussions. Aside from learning how to post pictures someone can start cold and generate interest based solely upon the picture they choose and why. That really helps this board. It keeps both new and old members coming back. Does that mean it will hurt other disussions? Does that mean we should not have other disussions? Absolutely not!!! It just helps while other disussions evolve and begin what they do. And during the slow periods, SCOD can still go strong because it takes years for it to wrap around until we start over again.

Could it potentially hurt other discussions? Well maybe, because as with "Annote" when things got complicated members opted to SCOD. I think that was more a time issue rather than a subject problem. It is quicker to think of three questions than it is to develop content for a more thoughtful discussion. But when time wasn't an issue people flocked to "Annote" and I was crying for leaders.

I just think some stability for the board is a good thing. Add the other discussions as other people get the desire to lead them and devote the effort towards them. In the meantime allow for one boring topic that like the reading room revolves from beginning to end. Besides, it will only work while people show interest in it.

As for leading it, well it took this long to respond so I don't have the time I once had, but I could try.

hobbitlove
Gondor

Mar 20 2007, 7:33am

Post #27 of 29 (288 views)
Shortcut
It's me, Hob! I'm a bit too late, but so what. I'm with Darkstone [In reply to] Can't Post

on this survey.
But, first, and foremost, a huge THANKS for organizing this, Weaver. This is clearly layed out and perfect for helping us move forward on our favorite board.
Second, as you see, a name change. It's for good this time and I've embarrassed myself enough trying to explain elsewhere. It's just plain ol' hob. We decided simple is better for being with friends here on the boards.
Anyhoo, if there is still time to voice an opinion, I'd like to say that I think many seem to want a balance of simple and in depth discussions. SCOD are wonderful for brief and meaningful visit to favorite moments and feelings from the movies. Thinking about LOTR is never boring or a waste of time, IMhO. I can do that through considiering moments from the movies. Further, folks are very interested in what others who post in more depth have to say. I never cease to be amazed at the range of knowledge and depth of insight around here. I sense many have less time due to RL concerns (drat it) but want to continue to learn and examine Tolkien's themes.
My hobby-horse (s) would be writing pickups to ROTK - how could we make that movie better, and the other is do you know the lyrics that go to Howard Shore's music?
Honest to Pete! They are the most beautiful things, ever!
One last thought. The very real need to have fun can be discerned, too. I was thinking in terms of "Questions that need answering". Those could be done with some being silly and some being serious. We could choose what mood we were in.
Darkstone is a fount of information about the world of movies, as are probably several others. So, we could learn a lot from a technical approach. I want to know more about PJ and his team's gifts and genius.
Anyway, I'm promising to try very hard to contribute, and I'm in for whatever is agreed upon. Heck, I could probably be totally absorbed by an entire series on the role of dirt in LOTR and how it makes you feel about the characters.
I mean it.

Cheers, Weaver.

hob
(former nick: "HobbitLoveR*M-e" among several others, briefly)

=]

Egleria! Iorhael!

FarFromHome
Valinor

Mar 22 2007, 9:55pm

Post #28 of 29 (256 views)
Shortcut
I'm even later [In reply to] Can't Post

Just trying to catch up today after being away for a week or so. I haven't time to think this through, so I'll just say I agree with everything you say. And especially your thanks to Weaver for all she does to organize things for us.

I too think we need both at least one serious topic that needs a bit of thought and preparation, plus a fun one we can do when we have a few minutes to spare. The trivia quiz works well for the fun topic. I'd like to see the Annotated Discussions pick up again where they left off, with ROTK. I like SCOD the way it's always been done, but I can see a random SCOD being an interesting way of doing things too, to mix things up a bit.

I like your suggestion about dirt too - I bet that could make an interesting topic!

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 25 2007, 12:55am

Post #29 of 29 (300 views)
Shortcut
Could you suggest a viewing list? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
6. Any other comments or suggestions?
Id still love to compare the trilogy with other films, but my success rate of connecting with anything anybody has seen is pretty dismal.

How about a viewing list? Say the ten, twenty, or hundred films that you feel make for the most interesting comparisons with LotR? Perhaps with a comment or two? You could even keep a link to that list in your footer; on the new boards it would remain easy for people to access at their leisure (rather than trying to remember vaguely what it was about, say, Romancing the Stone that you once described as simliar to LotR).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Mar. 19-25: Tolkien illustrates The Lord of the Rings

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.